Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
roserougesang

'Miracle' Woman Survives Internal Decapitation in Car Crash'

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271876,00.html

DENVER, Colo. — A Colorado woman is living miracle, doctors say, after a car crash separated her skull from her spine, literally decapitating her from the inside, according to a Denver news report.

Shannon Malloy, 30, hit her head on the dashboard of a vehicle she was riding in during a Jan. 25 car accident, suffering what is clinically known as internal decapitation, according to KMGH 7News.

Click here to read the full article.

"I remember the impact and then I had no control over my head," Malloy told 7News. "I wasn't focused so much on the pain. I just kept thinking, 'I have to stay alive.'"

Doctors drilled five screws into Malloy's neck and four more into her skull to attach a stabilizing halo to keep her head still. According to Malloy, she suffered a fractured skull, swelling of the brain stem, bleeding in the brain and nerve damage to her eyes.

Dr. Gary Ghiselli of the Denver Spine Center credits Malloy's strong will for her survival.

"It's a miracle that she was able to survive from the actual accident. It's a miracle that she's made the progress that she's made," said Ghiselli.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Tismine

That's odd. I would have so much fun with it, though.
"Hey, what's wrong with you? Why are you wearing that headbrace?"
"Oh, I was decapitated."
Yes, such lovely whims indeed.
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
BlackButterfly

Internal? What a ripoff!!

She doesn't get to have that awesome scar around her neck...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
ugh...

I think it would be sooo badass to tell someone "I was decapitated... from the inside."
ugh... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
KontanKarite

What I find weird is how this is considered a miracle.

Why is it that it seems all the miracles people report are of people who survives a horrific tragedy?

I would rather NOT survive such a thing. Seems more like a curse than a blessing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I would find it kind of weird knowing that the only thing holding your head on is the skin on your neck and the muscles. One good pull could rip that all.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Tismine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
What I find weird is how this is considered a miracle.

Why is it that it seems all the miracles people report are of people who survives a horrific tragedy?

I would rather NOT survive such a thing. Seems more like a curse than a blessing.

It probably would be...I suppose it's like the people who get in a horrible plane crash, live, and say, "I must be the luckiest person in the whole world!" So the question is, are they lucky or unlucky?
I do wonder what the long-term effects will be. Will she be blind? Retarded? Have a speech deficit? Be paralised? I think I'd rather be dead then not be able to move for the rest of my life.
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
KontanKarite

Exactly. If something horrible happens to me where I SHOULD have died, I'd rather NOT be a "miracle" and just go.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
deafasadoornail

The author Terry Pratchett points out that really horrible freakish sets of circumstances can also be considered a "miracle." "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." I forgot which book it's from, but that seems to apply in this case.

So yeah, it's a miracle, but I don't think you'd get a show of hands for that particular experience.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
GrizzlyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
I would find it kind of weird knowing that the only thing holding your head on is the skin on your neck and the muscles. One good pull could rip that all.
Haha for some reason that made me laugh...

But owchie. I wonder if she was sat there thinking that wow my heads about to fall off or just like she said praying to stay alive. Wouldnt have a clue what Id do really... hmmm probably just scream hysterically but hey I wonder if she got nicknamed Frankenstein or similar stereotypical names for the bolts in her neck? Random thought there for you
GrizzlyKat is offline   Reply With Quote