Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
Vanilla Batcave

Favorite Dracula actors?

“Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!”

Hello there! We all know who Count dracula is since he's one of the most iconic characters not only in horror fiction but in all of fiction. He's been in tons of movies and TV show, which begs the question, which one of the actors that played him did it better? here's my personal list

1- Claes Bang

Claes Bang is a Danish actor that played the iconic count in the 2 episode 2020 Dracula show that aired in BBC and Netflix (anyone who says it has 3 episodes is lying). The show tries to mix many different stages of Dracula in pop culture and Bang was the perfect pick, he manages to capture the monstrous side of Dracula in the novel and the more charming and elegant side presented by Lugosis portrayal, making for a fresh and accurate (in character) Dracula that hits

2-Cristopher Lee

A legendary actor whose work on Dracula is both great and a waste at the same time. He worked in the iconic Hammer Dracula films where he portrays the titular Count as a cruel blood thirsty monster that does not to pretend to be anything other else than that, which is great, but leaves behind the hypnotic and charming elements of the character. Why was he wasted? Lee himself was unhappy with his Dracula roles in the Hammer series, due to how far removed and underdeveloped the Count was from the book, culminating in the character turning into a wild animal with no personality (By 'Prince of Darkness' he didn't even speak). His best portrayal of the character must be in the 1970's movie Count Dracula, where he finally portrays a book accurate Dracula. Cruel yet noble, this Dracula is one of the best out there, although I feel it leaves the charming aspect of Dracula behind, which stops Lee from being higher in the list. Dracula's supposed to lure you in, make you feel attracted to him yet unsafe at the same time, like he has you under his thumb and Lee's Dracula while a figure that demands respect, doesn't have that gravitas the original Count had

3-Gary Oldman

From the hand of Francis Ford Coppola, Oldman portrayed the count in the 1992 classic Bram Stoker's Dracula, where he delivers a sympathetic and tempting portrayal of the Count, who now is a more tragic than horrid character. As much as I love Oldman in this, I still feel his Count leans too much into the tragic villian archetype and forgets the more cruel and monstrous characteristics the Count had in the novel (same as Lee's but inverse), but he excels in the luring, almost erotic nature of the count. He is easily the most accurate count in terms of appearance which is an aspect that I think gets often overlooked (specially the Count's oh so neglected mustache)

4- Bela Lugosi

By far the most iconic, Lugosi's portrayal of the Count in the horror classic has defined Dracula in pop culture, and for good reason. Lugosi manages to portray a charming and cruel monster with a hypnotic presence, however I think his count is a bit too sanitized but it can't be denied that Lugosi changed Dracula forever. My favorite part of his portrayal must be his movements, which are full of personality, elegant yet somehow threatening, like he's always ready to attack

those would be my top Dracula actors, which are your favorites?
Vanilla Batcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:19 AM   #2
scithe

Bela Lugosi as Dracula is definitely the most iconic. I'm not really a fan of old movies but I can't help but appreciate those movies as there was little before them so for the time they were ground breaking films. It's pretty rough to watch them expecting something amazing. A close up of Bela's face is about as intense as it gets.

Gary Oldman might be my favorite actor to play Dracula. Although I do enjoy Gary Oldman as an actor (love Fifth Element), I don't know that he made that movie. The movie is cheesy at times but I really enjoyed it. Even rewatching it earlier this year, I feel like the movie holds up.

"I've crossed oceans of time to find you." is an amazing line IMO.
scithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:28 AM   #3
edwardterr

A renowned performer whose work on Dracula is both excellent and unnecessary. earthmoving adelaide
edwardterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:47 PM   #4
blareblare2000

His motions, which are full of character, graceful but also frightening, as though he's always prepared to strike, must be my favorite aspect of his portrayal. https://www.phoenix360photobooth.com/
blareblare2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 02:38 AM   #5
ericawashing

It looks so amazing
ericawashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 02:18 AM   #6
Molster

I grew up with Christopher Lee movies so I have to say I love his portrayal of the Count. I did enjoy Luke Evans as Vlad in Dracula Untold however Gary Oldman's portrayal is probably my favourite so far. Oh yes, totally ungoth of me perhaps but I also totally love Adam Sandler as Dracula in Hotel Transylvania and I so want to be Mavis!!!
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote