Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #76
Still Jack

Lately I've been using brass knucks , 40 cm steel pipe and my combat knife more and more. Life seems to be getting harder round here...
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #77
Rock_On

Growing up in a bad area coupled with my family's experiences has taught me to use my brain and avoid all possible complications (if possible). Keeping myself fit, using my brain/being street smart not to mention having a lightning past set of fists has kept me from visiting a hospital emergency ward.
Rock_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #78
Stormtrooper of Death

The smart thing to do is not to get into fights, but I always carry my Cold Steel knife around with me. This summer I plan on buying a switchblade.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #79
Saya

I still want an anti lady killer.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #80
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I've actualy been looking on the internet at concealed knives, swords and all tht fall inbetween hidden in the form of a cane or umbrella. There are quite a few places where you can get them on the internet. I'm just curious about the laws on them. For obvious reasons they arn't the most obvious of hiding places, and unless the security knows what they are looking for can be easily snuck into areas where weapons are normally prohibited. I do know upon a small investigation into the subject on wikipedia that California, Arkansas, and Iowa have bans on them, and for anyone in the UK England and Wales have bans on trading swordcanes that are less than 100 years old.

The Penguin comes to mind when speaking of such concealed weapons, frankly I'd say he is the master of such things, when was the last time you were on guard for a flamethrower in an umbrella?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House View Post
If you're being cornered on the street your assailant probably isn't looking for a decent and honorable fight. They're probably out for your money or to harm you just because they don't like how you look or both, maybe.
You forget the scenario where the assailant REALLY likes how you look.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #81
Mir

Whatever happened to using your fists? You sissies.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #82
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir View Post
Whatever happened to using your fists? You sissies.
At work this one guy was telling us about this call he got, a guy wanted to file an insurance claim because he was attacked and he beat his assailant down with his cell phone, he was in the army and apparently they consider their fists lethal weapons.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #83
Mir

Response 1: I don't like you. Go away.

Response 2: Taking a punch (no matter who delivers it) is preferable to getting hit over the head with a blunt instrument.

Take your pick.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #84
Saya

Response 1: Don't deny your love for me, I have falafel.

Response 2: Especially if its a Motorola, you'd prefer that over a fist any day.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #85
SiouxsiePernova

I don't carry any weapons, nor do I wish to; however, I am sure that my boots would inflict a great deal of pain if they made contact with any sensitive body parts.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #86
Mir

I wasn't really expecting that response at all. haha. That was cool.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #87
Cicero

I'm always ready to jam my steel-toed boots into any attacker's nether regions. Luckily haven't had to use them yet, but there've been a few times when I've been sizing up the sort of kick required to bring certain riled up fuckwits to the ground. So far security or quick-wittedness has solved all potential situations I've been in.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #88
Apathy's_Child

Nobody pushes their drunk buddy in front of them then runs away anymore, huh?

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #89
Duane

People don't mess with me, so I never see the point in having a mean of defense. However... it's always good to know how to throw a punch when you need to.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #90
Anima_Severem

I don't own anything weapon-wise save for a very large sword and knife collection.

Once I start really getting out in public, it's likely I'll carry something around like this.

Basically what it is is a thing you keep on your keychain. When it's sheathed you can hold it in your hand and use it as a reinforcement for your fist. The blade on this thing is about 2 1/2 inches long, which I think is legal in NC. If I find out this thing ain't legal here I'll likely opt for the kubotan with a tapered point at one end, for jabbing into pressure points and such.

Maybe later I'll get a concealed carry license. I am one of those ultra-paranoid types and I'll likely be armed to the teeth. Then again, the crime rate is stupidly low in this town. I was raised with a philosophy of "never say never" though and feel like it's a better idea to own a weapon I'll never use than to not own a weapon when I really need one.
Anima_Severem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #91
JCC

This thread is depressing.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #92
Godslayer Jillian

I hit them with a rose.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #93
Breathless Horror

Hey man, those thorns can fuckin STING!

Honestly, if someone's got a gun in your face, just give them your fucking wallet. All this macho bullshit about "training" is just that, macho bullshit. Any sensei or shihan that isn't a complete retard will tell you that nothing is worth a bullet. Yes, I have training too, but if you think you can take a gun from someone before they blow off your fucking head, you're just deluding yourself.

Personally, I carry a folder buck knife, and most of my friends do as well, though I would prefer to use a rock or dmy fists, as introducing a weapon generally turns a potentially dangerous situation into a probably lethal one.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #94
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
This thread is depressing.
It is. However, it makes perfect sense.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #95
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Lately I've been using brass knucks , 40 cm steel pipe and my combat knife more and more. Life seems to be getting harder round here...
Don't forget your sock full of pennies!
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #96
Duane

Sock full of quarters, nothing can beat that... except for little boys with toy cars.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #97
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Sock full of quarters, nothing can beat that... except for little boys with toy cars.
My god, Duane... You have no idea what picture you just painted in my head.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #98
Duane

Are you implying... that I've never seen Mall Rats?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #99
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_On View Post
Growing up in a bad area coupled with my family's experiences has taught me to use my brain and avoid all possible complications (if possible).
This summarizes the best advice I've seen in this thread.

First of all, fighting is STUPID. You have no idea what could happen in any given situation. Will they pull a weapon? Are their buddies right around the corner? Is there a cop standing nearby? Are you on camera?

People are capable of doing more damage to each other than you would believe. Forget that MMA crap you've probably seen; you will probably never fight someone in a controlled, brightly-lit, padded environment. Real life is a dark, angular, concrete-covered mine field padded with law suits, medical bills, and criminal charges. How bad could it be? A college buddy of my brother-in law is serving 20 years in federal prison for accidentally killing someone in a bar fight. How? He didn't want to seriously hurt anyone, so he just tackled the guy...and broke the guy's neck in the fall.

Personally, I prefer to talk, talk, and talk some more. The most effective weapon you have is your mind. Use it. Even before a confrontation, don't walk around like a victim waiting to get plucked and stay aware of your surroundings (more good advice mentioned by someone else earlier). In a pinch, haul ass out of any unstable situation. It is better to be slightly embarrassed and in one piece than it is to be foolishly brave and torn to pieces. It would take extraordinary circumstances to get me to stand and fight, at which point I would be intent on making sure the person or persons involved would not be getting up.

And no, I'm not just talking out of my ass. I come from a military family and spent five years in corporate security and in an area industrial club as a bouncer. I am also a very athletic six feet, 205 lbs. I have faced guns, riots, and disasters. I have every confidence in my ability to handle myself in a fight. However, I would rather exhaust every other option than put myself in a position to have to fight someone.

- Heretic

ps

Folks, please stop with the "I'm gonna punch 'em" schtick. Each of your hands contain 27 tiny little bones, all of which are easily broken. You are much better off using your elbows. You'll do more damage, and you'll save yourself a few months in a cast.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #100
Godslayer Jillian

I like this guy.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote