Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
LaBelleDameSansMerci

60-year-old woman becomes mother

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...ld-mother.html
Ranjit Hayer tried for decades to have a child, enduring multiple miscarriages, surgery, even the trauma of being robbed by a fertility doctor. Finally, after a successful IVF treatment, the Calgary woman gave birth to twins — at age 60.

She is believed to be among the oldest Canadian women to give birth.

Hayer's boys were delivered seven weeks prematurely by C-section at Calgary's Foothills Hospital on Tuesday morning, CBC Radio's The Current reported Thursday. The mother is recovering in intensive care, while the twins are in the neo-natal intensive care unit.

One of the babies is breathing with the help of special equipment, while the other boy is in the special care unit. Doctors say both are doing well. The twins will be kept in hospital until they reach a specified weight and can breathe on their own.

"My mind was always uneasy. I always said there should be a baby. I had my heart set on it. I wanted a baby," Hayer said from her hospital bed through a Punjabi translator.

"I used to say to my husband, 'Go ahead, marry someone else. You have earned so much.'

"He used to say to me, 'There's nothing wrong with you. If God wants to give us kids, he will.' "
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
menus era sota

all 3 of them are in intensive care? - shit.

"The bleeding was so severe he had to take out the woman's uterus."
0_O
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Mealla

Wow. Not to mention it's going to be really difficult caring for children at age 60.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Devil's Darling

Yeah .... we had here a woman who was 75 and gave birth to a kid.
I don't really see the point in having a kid at 75!That woman is not going
to be around when the child enters high school cuz she'll be dead by then :|
I kinda pitty the poor thing... [the child not the mother I consider the mother an idiot]
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
viscus

How incredibly selfish.

Nevermind that they might have severe birth defects, will be made fun of for having a mother the age of all of their friends' grandmothers, and I'll likely be dead by the time they finish high school, I want babies!

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
peacebear5028

Why do people get set on such things when they are this old?

I really just don`t understand what would motivate a 60 year old to want to have children.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Fae-wolf

Why can't people just adopt?
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
How incredibly selfish.

Nevermind that they might have severe birth defects, will be made fun of for having a mother the age of all of their friends' grandmothers, and I'll likely be dead by the time they finish high school, I want babies!
A-fuckin'-men.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
jack_the_knife

God there are some idiotic people on this planet.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Tam Li Hua

If the kids are healthy and are going to be well taken care of, I don't see anything wrong with it.

To my knowledge, most twins are born premature anyways, and have to be put in special care units, but I may be wrong.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Alarica

There was a woman in the UK a few years ago who had IVF too. 60 is too old to adopt apparently (here anyway). As for being selfish, fucking absolutely. Christ, kids are hard enough when you are young enough to keep up with running around after them! Twins can be and are carried to term (I know a set who were born at term, and were good 7lb babies). Usually they are early though. Mine were 4 weeks early.

I can understand wanting to have kids, but I cant understand why someone would have them at this age ffs. Those boys, if all goes well and they grow without complications and start school, will always have people thinking their mum is their gran.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
badteccy

God, what is so great about kids anyway? Really, at 60?
I just don't get it.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
Tam Li Hua

Alarica: I can tell you from experience that that's not really a big deal. My mom had me when she was 39. I honestly didn't care that folks sometimes thought she was my grandmother, and other folks I've met who grew up in similar circumstances didn't care either.

It -did- slightly annoy me that folks thought my sister [18 years my senior almost on the dot] was my mom. :P
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fae-wolf
Why can't people just adopt?

she should have done that ages ago. it's pretty slefish not to anyway - wanting children and trying to make new ones when the poor little bastards are screaming on orphanages...

on another note, people often mistake my grandmother for my mother.
dye your grey hair, it does wonders.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Solumina

There is a BIG difference between having kids at 39 and at 60. 39 year olds can reasonably be expected to be able to keep up with a child, not so much with a 60 year old. Also just going on life expectancy a 39 year old can be expected to live until the children are established in their own lives, while it sucks to loose a parent at any age, it is devastating to loose one while you are young and those kids are going to loose her before they are even in high school, to make things worse the father isn't any younger so chances are they are going to end up orphans in their early teens simply because of their parents' age.

For the record my father was 45 when I was born and my mother was 38 so I do know what it is like to have older than average parents and there are some advantages (such as having parents who have been able to accumulate more savings which helps them to be able to do things like pay for college without racking up huge amounts of debt) but there are some clear disadvantages.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Tam Li Hua

Calm down, Solumina. While I agree with you that 39 is different than 60, my mom aged rather fast due to her various addictions. I might as well have had a 60-year-old mother starting out, for all the good it did me. -_-;;

There are worse things than having an old mom, is all I'm saying.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Opteron_Man

By the time the kid is in highschool, her mom will be very old,
if not DEAD. What a shame for the kid. But it is her call.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #18
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
To my knowledge, most twins are born premature anyways, and have to be put in special care units, but I may be wrong.
Not true. Most hospitals will just C-section early, to "avoid complications"
(even though C-sections and premature birth have the potential to cause far more complications than a well-managed, full-term, vaginal birth) /rant.....
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #19
Alarica

Delivering multiples 7 weeks early to potentially 'avoid complications' is a bit extreme though. And my nan had twins when she was in her 40's, they were her 6th and 7th children. I was born when they were 5, so I saw them being picked on for having a mum who looked like their gran, so I know it happens. Children can be cruel.

As for sections v natural. I've had 2 naturals and 2 c-sections. complaications with 1 of each. There was a programme on tv a while back, saying that doctors in America are far too quick to perform c-sections, and not so big on the natural birth. Knowing the recovery, that cant be right surely? I know that in the UK I had to have it proven I couldnt have a vbac before they'd book me for an elective section with my son. I would have had a natural birth had it been possible. You cant beat getting up and walking within the hour.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #20
korinna5555

It IS extreme, but it happens. Usually it's something like "well, your blood pressure is a little high, so lets go ahead and have the babies".. I can't believe how many times I've heard something like that. And on the other side of it, the moms I know who have home-birthed had vaginal deliveries with full-term, 6-9lb twins. I'm not saying that home-birth is necessarily better, but the general approach to pregnancy and birth is so different.

The hospital where my mom works won't permit VBACs. It's simply "too risky".
America IS section-crazed. My mom has about as many sections as vaginal births at her hospital. Almost everyone there is drugged with medications that drastically increase the chances of a section, and women can ask for a section and get it. It's ridiculous!
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #21
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555

".
America IS section-crazed.
i totally agree. another thing (while we're on the subject of bashing the medicals) young children getting prescribed with all this shit - for example, a little boy is naturally going to be crazy and not sit still for a minute, especially when compared to a girl - so they label him as ADD or something. i have a ton of friends who say they have ADD, but without their meds they're totally fine -the US has gone insane.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #22
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebear5028
Why do people get set on such things when they are this old?

I really just don`t understand what would motivate a 60 year old to want to have children.
Quote:
If God wants to give us kids, he will.
Tah-Daaah!!!
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #23
Mealla

I will agree the US has gone insane on the c-section thing. Not only are doctors too quick to perform them, but some women specifically request them so that they can set a date on their calendar so a birth doesn't interfere with their oh so hectic schedule. So selfish and unhealthy in my opinion. Of course if I ever have kids, I refuse to even have them in a hospital unless medical complications interfere with my wishes.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote