Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Catch

Gas Prices

Have people lost their minds? I mean it. The US Dollar took a major dive and the cost of gold was over one thousand dollars. I looked at the commoditites the other day and it dropped down to $800.

Bush is announcing a new plan to deal with the crisis. Only a few weeks ago Congress was proposing another gas tax to deal with the higher prices of gas. That doesn't make sense at all.

You know what might help, lowering the tariff on oil from the Middle East. Yah, it is all out of control. Everyone all over the news is reporting the dollar is weak. (A nations monetary value compared is based on the gold standard. The US tries to maintain a gold standard between $200 to $400.) So now our dollar is worth less in the Middle East so gas is more.

Yep, reguardless of the falling stock market, recessions caused by Y2K, the Twin Towers and Katrina, people are sitting around with their thumbs up their explitive acting like nothing is wrong.

So awhile ago, they said we need to cut taxes. Then someone said doesn't that cause inflation. Well inflation also provides more jobs and any idiot knows that when in a recession yo counter it with inflation. So right now Inflation is great!

Our country is going down the tubes every single day and the idiotic, uneducated masses and media are going to keep it that way, because you're all stupid.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
KontanKarite

Maybe people need it to be hard. :-/

My head's been muddled with all the bad shit lately, that it's hard to focus or make sense of any of it. The big picture is indeed confusing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
Tea and Cake or Death

not all of us are dumb. I am depressed as hell at the idea of what's going on. But we are fucked!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Drake Dun

No comments on the economy or Bush or whatever for now, but as for gas prices, the solution is very simple: Americans grow a spine and stop whining. $4/gallon is still on the low end from a global perspective. Go to your nearest freeway and look around. See all those SUVs? Apparently gas isn't all that expensive.

I'll put up with griping about gas prices from anybody who owns a car which is at least, say, 70% as fuel efficient as the ones people drive here in Japan. Everybody else can shut the fuck up.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
Dreggas

Heh I ride the bus, the only reason the gas prices are pissing me off is it makes my groceries more expensive. Of course this is what you get when you elect an incompetent fuck-up to lead a country and then vote for the rest of the incompetent fuck-ups from his party. You get incompetent fuck-ups.
Dreggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
What did we expect by voting two oil men into power?
Sheesh. Obama for yo mama in '08!

I wish I lived with bicycling distance of work. At least I get to work from home one day out of five.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
GothicChristian

I can't drive yet, so the only reason it bothers me is the prices of everything and the fact that I have to walk home almost everyday because my parents say it's too expensive for them to pick me up after clubs. (I live a pretty good distance from my school and my shoes aren't exactly the best to walk in... -looks at her boots with a sigh-)
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
I'll put up with griping about gas prices from anybody who owns a car which is at least, say, 70% as fuel efficient as the ones people drive here in Japan. Everybody else can shut the fuck up.
Mine's one of the most efficient non-hybrids.
I used to need twenty bucks per week; now I need 30.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Catch

The interest rate was lowered to 2%. I believe it was a good move.

I think the Middle-East, USA and US Automobile companies formed a plot to make oil continually valuable in the USA in order to defeat the Axis Alliance in WWII. Yep, German plans still needed gas, but they are godless people, so we got cheap gas and won.

(It is very scary thinking about how the Middle East is starting to threaten the USA. None of our stuff works without gas. We'd be totally screwed.)
Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
The interest rate was lowered to 2%. I believe it was a good move.

I think the Middle-East, USA and US Automobile companies formed a plot to make oil continually valuable in the USA in order to defeat the Axis Alliance in WWII. Yep, German plans still needed gas, but they are godless people, so we got cheap gas and won.

(It is very scary thinking about how the Middle East is starting to threaten the USA. None of our stuff works without gas. We'd be totally screwed.)
Wow. You've gone from being incomprehensible to having bizarre theories and opinions. What's next?

::grabs popcorn::
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
raggedyanne

Dude, the gov just needs to deal with the fucking tariffs
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
Wow. You've gone from being incomprehensible to having bizarre theories and opinions. What's next?

::grabs popcorn::
I know how to play quarters using shot glasses.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #13
Wednesday Friday Addams

Petrol prices in America are still alot cheaper then the prices we have to pay.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #14
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
Petrol prices in America are still alot cheaper then the prices we have to pay.
Maybe you should worship God more. :|
Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Maybe you should worship God more. :|
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/01/news...n=money_latest
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
emeraldlonewoulf

good link, thanks.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
viscus

If anything, gas in America should cost MORE. Then maybe people will pull there heads out of their asses and start looking at/pushing for alternative transport solutions more.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #18
CptSternn

Exactly. I mean, gas in Ireland is like 1.10 Euro a litre. Three and 3/8ths litres is a gallon. That means we pay about 4.15 euro a gallon here, which converted to dollars is about $6.70 a gallon.

We have been paying this for quite sometime, and we don't bitch. Same goes for the rest of Europe.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

And you guys have better mass transportation. In Europe, people have many alternatives to driving alone. Over here, best thing we can do is carpool if we have to commute.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
emeraldlonewoulf

not only do you guys have better public transportation, you have MUCH smaller distances to cross. In order to ship goods from one side of the country to the other takes a great deal more fuel.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
Mother Of All Things Odd

Gas prices do suck but it's not all the current administrations fault. If you really did your homework you,ld realize the problem started in the 70s when they capped our oilfields and the tree huggers yell if anyone mentions drilling anywhere in our country.Did you know there is enough oil under North Dakota to keep us in oil for over a 100 years and that it would drive the price of oil down to about half or three fourths of what it cost now , or that earlier this year your democratic led congress refused to pass a coal to gas bill that would have had a plant open in less than a year, provided a couple thousand jobs and the product would be less than a dollar a gallon, and that the biggest issue that was discussed in the congress and senate this week was what to do about explosive sugar dust?You can also thank our government for ever increasing grocery prices because of this stupid ethanol corn is for eating not to go in gas tanks .
Mother Of All Things Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #22
††BlackRose††

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
If anything, gas in America should cost MORE. Then maybe people will pull there heads out of their asses and start looking at/pushing for alternative transport solutions more.
I know!!! I mean you would think that the invention of the car is sooo old that we would have done something to improve it. We made it cheaper and faster, but did nothing for power source. Sure these hybrids are coming out more and more but people don't buy them. They need a new source. It is an inevitable fact that we WILL run out of petrol one day or another.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #23
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Of All Things Odd
Did you know there is enough oil under North Dakota to keep us in oil for over a 100 years and that it would drive the price of oil down to about half or three fourths of what it cost now...
Why no, I did not know that! Probably because it's not true. The USGS estimates the amount of oil to be had from the entire Bakken formation、including the parts in Canada, using current technology, at somewhere around 3.65 billion barrels.

Fact Sheet: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2008/3021/pdf/FS08-3021_508.pdf
Press Release: http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911
Slide Show: http://energy.usgs.gov/flash/Bakken_slideshow.swf
Assessment Data: http://certmapper.cr.usgs.gov/noga/b...1&thePage=play

The state of North Dakota estimates 2.1 billion barrels recoverable using current technology in only its own portion of the formation - very close to the 2.6 number the feds gave, considering the difficulty of making these estimates.

News Articles: http://bismarcktribune.com/articles/...ate/154403.txt
http://www.kxmc.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=232977
http://paguntaka.org/2008/04/29/nort...ken-formation/

I couldn't find the actual report they are referring to online, but N.D.'s online resources are here:

https://www.dmr.nd.gov

The U.S. was using over 7 billion barrels a year as of 2006.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922041.html

So if the U.S. could keep itself "in oil" using the Bakken oil for less than six months. The 100 year figure, which presumably came from Rush Limbaugh or some similar reactionary windbag, is off by two orders of magnitude. That's like claiming that your car's fuel efficiency is 1000 MPG when it's actually 10 MPG.

Of course there is a lot more potential oil in the shale and what not, but that's hardly a situation unique to N.D. It's the case everywhere else, too. How much of that can be used will depend on how technology advances and what happens in the economy.

But tell you what. Presumably the 100 year figure was based upon the work of Leigh Price. In an unpublished, unreviewed paper, he claimed that there were 217 - 503 billion barrels total, including the shale.

http://www.undeerc.org/Price/

Just for shits and giggles, let's take the high estimate of 503 billion - way higher than any estimate ever given by anybody else. And let's make believe that it can all just be scooped up in buckets by underpaid illegal immigrants. And while we're testing the limits of our ability to suspend disbelief, let's say that U.S. oil consumption goes down to 7 billion per year, and stays there, instead of going up the way it usually does in the real world when the resource in question is plentifully available as in this fantasy scenario.

503 / 7 = 71.86

72 is not the same thing as "over 100".

I don't care enough to check up on your other assorted rants. Your credibility problem is too big. Don't tell us to do our homework. We might actually listen, and then look what happens.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #24
badteccy

I don't even wanna drive anymore, prices are supposed to go up 4 dolla dolla bills ya'll a gallon.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #25
Catch

I don't drive as much anymore and found a way to work from home. Driving isn't even really a necessity anymore. Maybe I'll sell my car, though I bought less than a year ago, becaue it is still very convinient.