Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Saya

Watchmen Prequels Announced

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...rom-dc-comics/

It was rumoured for a long time, but looks like they're actually going for it.

Alan Moore is very displeased: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...thics-prequel/

Apparently he had originally planned prequels, but DC argued with him over who the focus should be on, Moore wanted to write for the original Minutemen, DC wanted more Rorschach and Nite Owl. And they got good talent on these, but its just like, what else is there to say?

Not only that, but I never liked most of the characters. When I saw Kickass I thought they were trying to do what Watchmen to me did, show how in the real world, superheroes would probably be crazy, unlikeable, and exploited. There are good villain and anti-hero comics but somehow I dont' think that's the direction they're going with.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
hypnojoo

watchmen prequels

"As far as I know, there weren't that many prequels or sequels to Moby-Dick."

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...#ixzz1qG1PH06w
good article, thanks

hee hee nice outrage from alan moore ...although i'd say he is absolutely right of course (and regardless of his own use of other literary chars). pretty shameless commercial project. you can't recreate innovation :-)
hypnojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
rabbitinthemoon

Alan Moore is always outraged. It's his permanent mode of existence. I'm still pretty excited about the series though.
rabbitinthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
hypnojoo

there's some awesome writers signed up for it i'll grant you... i have everything crossed! (but let's not forget dark knight strikes again... extraordinary eyepain and a complete waste of time. so overall my hopes are not high here i must admit.)

a REALLY long interview with moore here about the whole thing:

http://www.seraphemera.org/serapheme...Interview.html
Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
rabbitinthemoon

Look at it this way.....it cannot POSSIBLY be worse than "Promethea". And that was Alan Moore himself.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
hypnojoo

alan moore - top 3?

heh i never really got into promethea either... tried an issue but it was just too much for my brain (but i do intend to come back to it someday cos i'm sure, i'm really sure, i SHOULD like it... hehe). i don't really like league either (based on the first two tpbs), though honestly i'm not sure why. ah, maybe it's just a bit too steampunk, i dunno.

but basically everything else he's ever written is (i think) pure gold. i reckon he has an amazing ability to use characters/events to create a metaphor that is very simple but with an incredible amount of poignancy/heart - and then to exploit/innovate his narrative structure to the max in telling it.

from hell is (for me) one of the most accomplished histories/melodramas ever written; voice of the fire was a fantastically impressive debut novel (i think the structure of it is what makes it), and i thought lost girls was one of the best things he's written too - as well as utterly beautiful (good work melinda gebbie!), and the wartime setting was perfect.

heh, that's an odd top 3, and not the ones i thought i'd choose actually. u?

oh, i'm REALLY looking forward to jerusalem...
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
rabbitinthemoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnojoo View Post
heh i never really got into promethea either... tried an issue but it was just too much for my brain (but i do intend to come back to it someday cos i'm sure, i'm really sure, i SHOULD like it... hehe). i don't really like league either (based on the first two tpbs), though honestly i'm not sure why. ah, maybe it's just a bit too steampunk, i dunno.

but basically everything else he's ever written is (i think) pure gold. i reckon he has an amazing ability to use characters/events to create a metaphor that is very simple but with an incredible amount of poignancy/heart - and then to exploit/innovate his narrative structure to the max in telling it.

from hell is (for me) one of the most accomplished histories/melodramas ever written; voice of the fire was a fantastically impressive debut novel (i think the structure of it is what makes it), and i thought lost girls was one of the best things he's written too - as well as utterly beautiful (good work melinda gebbie!), and the wartime setting was perfect.

heh, that's an odd top 3, and not the ones i thought i'd choose actually. u?

oh, i'm REALLY looking forward to jerusalem...
What's Jerusalem? I'm really out of the loop because I was totally broke for two years and couldn't afford to feed my comic habit.
I want to read "From Hell" badly...working on getting that one. I had the "Lost Girls" set but ended up having to sell it on Ebay. It was beautiful though and I wish I'd had more time with it.....
I like Alan Moore, but not the way I love some of the other series I've read. But I read "Watchmen" when I was in a very dark place and it was such literal escapism for me...it'll always have that special place in my heart.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
hypnojoo

jerusalem is moore's next (prose) novel - apparently it's a monster

ouch, selling comics, i hear you on that... hope you got a good price for them! - i paid a lot and waited an age to get lost girls (it was banned here in the UK cos st ormond street charity owned the rights to peter pan and (as a kids charity) they kicked up a fuss about the sexual content).

can't recommend from hell highly enough - the art gets a little claustrophobic at times and doesn't really make it an easy read, but as a treatise on the nature of time (the fourth dimension), magic, philosophy and murder it's a must. oh and for anyone interested in the ripper, too, of course