Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #151
SnaiLuv

Black matches black. Theoretically. Unless you're wering different fabrics, or old ass clothes with new ass clothes.
Also, when your hair is some weird color you don't have to worry about clashing.
Funny enough, I wear black....but not as often as some people.
SnaiLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:45 AM   #152
Star of Blight

It's just comfortable to wear. Works in just about every social situation you can find yourself in. Doesn't matter if you mix and match your wardrobe because, as has been said many times before.

Also it's simple, yet at the same time very attention grabbing. You can wear black, be understated yet at the same time draw eyes from a crowd. When worn in certain ways it has a draw, an alure. And more important, it's the attitude, the feeling you get while wearing it. It drifts off of you, and others can feel it. Granted what they feel varies, dependant on who's wearing it. And I'll stop rambling now thank you very much.
Star of Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #153
Kali Maxwell

I love black because it's beautiful, and magickal. In fact, to paraphrase Scott Cunningham, black is the non-colour, the absorption of all possible colours, and is the colour representing outer space (the universe), and therefore the ultimate universal truth. Black is death; black is the other side; black is the night. It's actually pretty hard to describe in words. I feel safe, empowered, and romantic in black clothing.

That and I've been told I look beautiful in black.

Black is a reflection of my inner self, and also the nature of my magickal self: I was born in the time of misrule, when night reigns and there is no God to balance out the Goddess' powers. I feel I should wear black with all my heart. I'm not like most people. Looking and acting any other way would be a lie.
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:10 AM   #154
~My_Dark_Evil_Romance~

i waer it cuz ppl know that we mostly waer "black" so i wanna look dark and evil to show ppl im a goth!
~My_Dark_Evil_Romance~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:00 AM   #155
Sarkphagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
I would so be pointing and snickering behind my black-gloved hand at anyone deigning to wear white! It's simply not goth, seriously, guys. No one pulls off white and gets away with it people! Not even Eldritch!

And don't get me started on those idiots that wear pastel and call it goth. I see someone pulling that shit on my birthday and I'm slapping the taste out their mouths! There's a marked difference between L***** and Gothic L*****, one should never be confused with the other!

While color is frequently incorporated in the gothic wardrobe, it is never pastels. I'm really not a fan of the Cyber look so popular lately, either. Ugh! I've seen a total of two people that can pull off the look and not look like complete asses.

I've more of a bohemian/etheral/old schoole/tribal/aristocrat-inspired closet, myself.

*Hops daintily off soapbox*
*sigh* I love white. Its of innocence and purity....
But truely, all black is a little... 'trying to hard', personally. I would rather go for what I think looks good than, than simply avoiding white out of habit. For instance, I _love_ a black skirt, white blouse, and a black coat. It's actually rather a trademark of mine.
Another idea I love with white is a gauzy all white dress.... Being rather on the pale side with blonde hair, I look like a ghost at night (or so I've been told). In day, all white tends to be a bad idea as the sun's reflection is a little much for most people... (I know that sounds funny, but I am being quite serious...)
Anyway, yes, pastels. Heh, I don't think I've every even heard of someone thinking pastels was goth... Yes, definately huge difference between Loli and GothicLoli.
Sarkphagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #156
Spazik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~My_Dark_Evil_Romance~
i waer it cuz ppl know that we mostly waer "black" so i wanna look dark and evil to show ppl im a goth!
Spelling: 3.4 out of 10. Subject spelled the word "wear" in the letter assembly of "W-A-E-R". At first I suspected a typo, but the subject performed the error twice, ruling out that possiblity. Also, the subject spelled "people" in the abbreviated form of "PPL", thus indicating a slow typist and lack of intelligence.

Capitalization/Punctuation: 2.1 out of 10. The subject portrayed all the typical internet syntaxisms of an early adolescent, which included a complete lack of capitalization. Subject also used the phrase "cuz", an automatic two point deduction.

Intelligence: 1.2 out of 10. Subject believes that wearing all black is the core fundamental of the gothic community. Subject also feels that people believe he/she is "dark and evil" because he/she wears all black. The subject also seems to be under the conformist impression that he should wear all black because that's what people think individuals of his pruported community are meant to do.
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:29 AM   #157
FenrisQueen

Dammit Spazik. I read your entire post and you used like, five hundred words to basically tell her she's an illiterate idiot.

At least you're not letting your education go to waste.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #158
TheRaven13

Goths don't identify with evil, we mourn the evil in society. The fascination with death is basically a reminder to us of our own mortality. For these reasons, we wear black.

Its quote...don't remeber who said it though.
TheRaven13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #159
winged_dreams

You speak the truth. I don't dress in all black all the time although I do like the color. I do like your logic though.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:06 AM   #160
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazik
Quote:

Spelling: 3.4 out of 10. Subject spelled the word "wear" in the letter assembly of "W-A-E-R". At first I suspected a typo, but the subject performed the error twice, ruling out that possiblity. Also, the subject spelled "people" in the abbreviated form of "PPL", thus indicating a slow typist and lack of intelligence.

Capitalization/Punctuation: 2.1 out of 10. The subject portrayed all the typical internet syntaxisms of an early adolescent, which included a complete lack of capitalization. Subject also used the phrase "cuz", an automatic two point deduction.

Intelligence: 1.2 out of 10. Subject believes that wearing all black is the core fundamental of the gothic community. Subject also feels that people believe he/she is "dark and evil" because he/she wears all black. The subject also seems to be under the conformist impression that he should wear all black because that's what people think individuals of his pruported community are meant to do.
Right on Spazik!! This here ( this being ~My_Dark_Evil_Romance~) , is a serious case, perhaps incurable...but a serious case of MALL GOTH

And to TheRaven13 what you said is incredibly true...i admire your intelligence

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 AM   #161
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheSpazik
Rechtschreibung: 3.4 aus 10 heraus. Thema buchstabierte das Wort "Abnutzung" im Buchstabezusammenbau von "W-A-E-R". Anfangs vermutete ich einen Typo, aber das Thema führte die Störung zweimal durch und strich dieses possiblity durch. Auch die Thema buchstabierten "Leute" in der abgekürzten Form von "PPL", einen langsamen Maschinenschreiber und einen Mangel an Intelligenz so anzeigend.

Großschreibung/Interpunktion: 2.1 aus 10 heraus. Das Thema schilderte alle typischen Internet syntaxisms eines frühen Jugendlichen, der einen kompletten Mangel an Großschreibung einschloß. Thema verwendete auch die Phrase "cuz", ein automatischer Abzug mit zwei Punkten.

Intelligenz: 1.2 aus 10 heraus. Thema glaubt, daß das, Schwarzes ganz zu tragen die Kerngrundlage der gotischen Gemeinschaft ist. Thema glaubt auch, daß Leute glauben, daß he/she "dunkel und übel" ist, weil he/she ganz Schwarzes trägt. Das Thema scheint auch, unter dem Konformisteindruck, daß zu sein er Schwarzes ganz tragen sollte, weil das ist, was Leute denken, daß Einzelpersonen von seiner Gemeinschaft werden bedeutet zu tun.

Apparently, this text also translates well into German. Courtesy of Lycos Translator.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #162
~My_Dark_Evil_Romance~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazik
Actually I have won medals for my Knowledge in my high school for I.T, and had and am still having verbal praise in my speed of my typing…

Any way yeah I love red and black not because it might be a "Goth" thing. But I just love wearing the colours.
~My_Dark_Evil_Romance~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #163
winged_dreams

Then type properly please.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #164
Star of Blight

Quote:
Actually I have won medals for my Knowledge in my high school for I.T, and had and am still having verbal praise in my speed of my typing…

Any way yeah I love red and black not because it might be a "Goth" thing. But I just love wearing the colours.
Would this "high school" require that you get there riding a short bus? You know because if such is the case and you are mentally retarded then maybe we can cut you a little bit of slack here in the future.

Granted if it doesn't and your just a lazy fucktard then I think you will have a long and lasting relationship with the people of this board, granted said relationship will involve many boots to the head and the regular Thursday night salad tossing.
Star of Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #165
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star of Blight

and the regular Thursday night salad tossing.
I prefer Syrup..

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #166
Alain

I was under the impression that the gothic movement in the time period that I have forgotten was enamoured with the same gothic architecture, literature and themes that we are today; it's all about memento mori; literally latin for "remember death", but essentially meaning a moment in which one's own mortality is brought to mind. For example by having a close call with death, or seeing a spectre. I wear black because I am attracted to mortuary themes, and curly architecture, and if I didn't spend my days playing with skeletons outside I'd try for that pale-skinned look too.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #167
cyberJade

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the most gothic of them all...

Excuse me, for being off-topic.
cyberJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:41 PM   #168
Alain

ooooh! It is... um.... er....
aha! It is Keanu Reeves. He is so talented, he can act one entire role for a whole acting career! He is my sexy hero of doom!

/sarcasm

No fooking idea, actually.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #169
MrMaelstrom

Cyberjade: if your signature is meant to say "die" in castellano (spanish for the idiots out there), then it should read "muere". If you meant to say "kill yourself", then "mata-te" is what you're meant to type.
If by any chance "death" is what you meant to write, then "muerte" is what you're looking for.

Of course, it could be something different altogether, but anyway...
Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #170
Lord Dagon

I feel goths wear black because they feel like that inside. Night is what they love....it is what I love, as well...
-Lord Dagon
Lord Dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #171
pitseleh

Wow Lord Dagon, that was really, like, deep. I think I'm gonna go cry for a bit now.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #172
soggypicklemuncher

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #173
Disfunction

I figured out why goths wear black: it's not about a morose nature, or an inclination towards darkness; it's all about fashion. Goths know how to accessorize, and really, what DOESN'T go with black?

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #174
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction

What DOESN'T go with black?
Poo..

Poo doesn't go well AT ALL with black..

You'd think cause they are both neutrals, it would be a given..

But nope, its a bad combination and a little bit too far down 'apathy road' to still be considered; 'cool'..

Just thought I would clear that up..

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #175
DeathsLoneyChild

black is what they waer because it's dark and it ummmmmm i never put it that way now i'm confuzed!!!
DeathsLoneyChild is offline   Reply With Quote