Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #51
Vladinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
And how do you know if your sunblock is the bad kind?
Read what's in it. If you need help, post here. I was a lab tech for 8 years. I'm sure I can figure out what the stuff in it does. :-)
Vladinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #52
Heatherzilla

Whats the difference between sunblock and sunscreen, I've never known. If you're dyeing your own hair one of those little brushes like the hairdressers use is useful, it gets the roots a lot better than if you just use your hands, also apply vaseline around your hairline (don't get any in your hair) so the dye doesn't stain your skin, if you do get dye on your skin nail polish remover will get it of but it's probably bad for you. If it's a dramatically different color from your natural hair you might want to get your brows and lashes tinted as well.

The question about dyeing hair with henna before: henna is better for your hair than chemical dyes but you have to let it grow out before you can dye your hair with a chemical dye or it will turn your hair a weird color. And if your hair has been bleached henna will also turn it a weird color. http://www.hennaforhair.com/ <this site is really useful if you want to dye your hair with henna.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #53
we_are_138

I just buy Feria cool black in a box and do it myself. it doesn't dye my scalp and ends up looking and feeling shiny and soft. i've been coloring my hair all different colors (personally and professionally) ever since I was like 11 years old (yeah my parents are cool). Even if you get the dye on your skin, it doesn't stay there for more than a day Just scrub/exfoliate it off. the vaseline on your hairline helps, and so does exfoliating after you do your hair.

As face powder, this is what I did when i first started "gothing out". i had this really light purple/lavendar eye makeup that i bought at CVS. It was Lumene brand. Anyway, i took a sponge/brush and applied it lightly on my face. this gets all the goldy tones out. then i just put a really light transclucent face powder over it to blend it. Voila! Dead girl for cheap! But Recently, I bought this face powder from this Italian company called Brava. it's called "Baked Cream Color Corrector". It's this multicolored powder that lightens your skin. Now I only use that, and no other powder, and it looks great. I have naturally light skin, so I don't know what it would do for darker shades, but I think it would have a similar effect. I swear by this powder. It's the single best piece of makeup I own.

As for eyeliner, I'm using Manic Panic right now and i don't really like it. I got it because it's cheap and I like supporting the store here in Philly where i bought it. I prefer Lancome products but they're far too expensivo!! their black eyeliner is awesome.

Has anyone ever had black and white hair together? I tried to do this once. I had my hair bleach blonde, and then I colored all sections but ONE in the front black so i'd have one white chunk in the front kind of peeking out from underneath all this black hair. It looked really cool for a while, but then when I'd wash it, the black dye would run into the white streak, and turned it blue! (I was using a different hair dye then, blue black, UGH) So I ended up just doing all my hair black again. Anyone ever do this successfully? Tips or suggestions on how I can do it again? i'd really love to.
we_are_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #54
Zenit

If we go back to clothing, I would like to bring up a personal view. Stay away from dressing all in crushed panne velvet. I find it to look cheap if all items of clothing on a person is made of it. But I find it to look cheap anyway.

And I second what we_are said about Lancome. They have the most amazing eyeliners. Mine never smudged, and if it did, it only made my eyes look smokey and nice

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #55
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
I'm really digging the Mac liquid eyeliner I bought, no running and it doesn't irritate my eyes when I make a mistake. My questions are though:

What defines the "smokey eyes" look? Most of the examples I've seen look like racoon eyes to me.
And then, I extend my eyeshadow in a very light shade to my eyebrow, followed by dark in the crease, etc. I often wonder if it looks a little cheesy, but I'm not sure what I would have to go on. :/
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #56
Minyaliel

Asta_tintora: about the eye make-up: white eyeshadow up to your brow makes your eyes seem more open and clear. The way you describe how you do your make-up is what was suggested to me by a professional make- up artist. I don't think it looks cheesy, but you have to go by what feels right to you. If you don't feel comfortable with something, then don't do it.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #57
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta_tintora
I'm really digging the Mac liquid eyeliner I bought, no running and it doesn't irritate my eyes when I make a mistake. My questions are though:

What defines the "smokey eyes" look? Most of the examples I've seen look like racoon eyes to me.
And then, I extend my eyeshadow in a very light shade to my eyebrow, followed by dark in the crease, etc. I often wonder if it looks a little cheesy, but I'm not sure what I would have to go on. :/
Smokey eyes are overrated. You can do dramatic without smokey. I suggest using white eyeliner under your eye, and thick black liquid eyeliner on your top lid. To me, it looks very Bond Girl, especially with dark mascara on top.

Don't do your makeup like Miz_Hazie_Lane unless you know what you're doing. She's good at what she does, and it looks good on her, but unless you know that such a dramatic look will suit your face, don't wear it out anywhere.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #58
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
Yeah, I've tried to do more dramatic stuff before and it didn't work well. Bah, somewhat of a tangent, but I remember once I was in a tv studio and was looking up at one of the monitors and saw this pale boy sitting behind the host. I kept on staring at the monitor thinking, my is that boy pale, and feminine looking. Is he wearing blush? Oh wait, he looks familiar... crap it's me. (Has nothing to do with the current make-up, but for some reason that make me think of that.) Heh.

I have one more question, how do you apply liquid eyeliner to the bottom of your eye without it colliding with your lashes? I apply it to the top of my lower (not really to the top because I wear glasses, but I do like the Bond Girl look too, DarkHearted Demoness.)
Old 01-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #59
Godslayer Jillian

*helpful bump*

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #60
honeythorn

Asta_Tintora, I think it depends on what sort of applicator the liquid eyeliner has. Personally I find the little thin brush to be too thin and fiddly. I preferred to use the little spongey pen nib type. The best thing to do is to apply in short strokes until you are practiced enough to apply in one continuous line. Don't press too heavily or it will blob everywhere.

I honestly prefer to use Cliniques' cream liner . It comes in a little pot with a small brush. The brush is a bit too fat for my liking so I use a small thinnish paintbrush ( sable).

Either that or Benefits' wet-dry eyeliner. Looks like an eyeshadow, but you just wet a small brush and swirl it over the liner like paint, and then apply. I loved this one, I need more actually......

Anyway good luck with that, hope it was useful in some way.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #61
asta_tintora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladinator
Could you post a DIY guide to dying your hair? I've done my own hair before, many years ago, but it's been a long, LONG time. I want to dye my hair (not my scalp) black. I'm also looking to use professional quality supplies, not these crappy over the shelf kits.
I'd be interested in something like that myself. I'd like to get a deep red-violet going in my hair and have it last for longer than a week. (In retrospect, I think they used temporary dye.) *grumble*
Old 01-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #62
asta_tintora

And in further reply to honeythorn, thanks for the product heads up. I'll have to look into that. I like the look of powder, but hate how it moves around. That might be the perfect solution (when I get more money *cough*.)
Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #63
Cayca

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta_tintora
I'd be interested in something like that myself. I'd like to get a deep red-violet going in my hair and have it last for longer than a week. (In retrospect, I think they used temporary dye.) *grumble*
Why don't you try henna (indigo for Vladinator)? Here is a good site about henna and henna mixes.
henna for hair
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote