Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #6151
honeythorn

NHS dental treatment costs goes in bands here. And I quoteth :

Quote:
There are three NHS charge bands.

Band 1: £17 includes an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.

Band 2: £47 includes all treatment covered by Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).

Band 3: £204 includes all treatment covered by Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.
So for a new crown I'd have to pay full whack I may as well go the whole bloody hog and have a gold one if I have to fork out that much cash.

I can't help but wonder if they can't simply pull off my crown, see to the tooth underneath, clean any old fixative/cement stuff out of the crown , put new fixative in and stick it back on again?

If they can then surely it shouldn't cost me the whole £204 because I wouldn't be having a new crown, just refixing the existing one..

I shall have to look this up.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #6152
Fruitbat

HT - my last cap cost me $900.

Fuck it I can't get moving today.. I don't want to haul my ass today, i just want to lay in bed and cuddle my pillow. it's got abandonment issues, my pillow... poor thing...

And why do guys wait until the last possible second before they help you out? Unless they are trying to impress you and get into your pants?

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #6153
Ben Lahnger

Over 80 people dead or wounded because of a madman's killing spree in Oslo, Norway, but the world is shocked and concerned about the death of a 27 year-old drug addict who had the gift of some talent and had fortune and fame and a life of ease thrown at her, but couldn't hack it.

fuck.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #6154
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Over 80 people dead or wounded because of a madman's killing spree in Oslo, Norway, but the world is shocked and concerned about the death of a 27 year-old drug addict who had the gift of some talent and had fortune and fame and a life of ease thrown at her, but couldn't hack it.

fuck.
^this... totally this^^

Amy's old man tried to get her into rehab but she refused... I don't have any empathy/sympathy for her, but I'm gutted over the almost 100 people who were killed by the nutjob in Norway.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #6155
JCC

Fuck that, drug addiction is an illness which claimed the life of a talented young woman and claims more lives than terrorism ever has. People are really fucking me off with this 'she deserved it' shit.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #6156
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Fuck that, drug addiction is an illness which claimed the life of a talented young woman and claims more lives than terrorism ever has. People are really fucking me off with this 'she deserved it' shit.
This. It's ALWAYS sad when somebody dies an untimely death - I fail to see how one tragedy negates another. If people deserve to die for making some bad choices, we'd all find our way onto the executioner's block at some point in our lives.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #6157
Solumina

Why do people keep comparing the two tragedies? Both are fucking sad and I don't know why people feel like they have to choose to be vocal about one being worse than the other.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #6158
Ben Lahnger

I didn't say she deserved it. I meant the other tragedy, where people got killed by something completely out of their control, deserves much more attention and empathy. And I said she couldn't hack it. While addiction is a disease we SHOULD be understanding of, nobody in the treatment and recovery business thinks addicts aren't responsible for their own recovery.

ONE IS MUCH WORSE THAN THE OTHER. On several levels. 92 people versus 1. People who had no chance to prevent or circumvent their tragedy compared to a person who had other people trying to intervene on her behalf. And so on.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #6159
JCC

People are not just numbers, every death is a tragedy. As someone living in England where Winehouse is from, made her success and died, I can tell you now that her death did not receive more coverage than the Norway attacks. It did for the couple of hours or so after it was announced, but today Norway is back at the top of the news agenda. So, nothing to complain about.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #6160
Ben Lahnger

Well, you failed to address my points (92 individuals dying in one act is worse in every measurable way than one individual dying in one act), and your response of "every death is a tragedy" is a trivialization of mass tragedies of all sorts that I wouldn't have expected from you. Is a death by mugging a tragedy? Yes. Is hundreds dead from a Tsunami a worse tragedy? Yes.

I have lost individual members of my family to death over time ... one at a time. There was grief and lingering loss. But I have a homeless man who comes into my store every day to cool off (I give him some water and some conversation), and he lost his entire family (close and extended) in Hurricane Katrina. That's a level of tragedy I don't know I could deal with.

So while all day long here yesterday I noticed my Facebook and Twitter feed were cluttered by many, many comments about poor Amy Winehouse with little notice or concern for the people of Oslo (while the news was actually doing a decent job of balanced reporting), I got very irritated.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #6161
JCC

Hundreds of thousands of people have died in the Middle East as a result of the Gulf and Afghan wars, but 92 victims of a terrorist attack in Oslo get more media publicity than they ever did because they are white and live in Western Europe. Shall I start ranting about how pissed off I am that people care about the deaths in Oslo but not the deaths elsewhere? I think it's more telling and more outrageous than the conflict between the news stories of Norway and Amy Winehouse. Both of my grandparents are dead, they didn't get a media report but Amy Winehouse did, how is that fair? Only 6% of rapes in England end with a conviction, but today on the news instead of talking about that they will have been talking about school fairs, and how it's pretty hot today. Is that fair? The media is not going to cover anything and everything and everything has different importance to different people, you are making an issue out of something you can never resolve. Why did Princess Diana get a huge funeral when you or I will be lucky to get more than 50 in attendance at ours? There is no answer.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #6162
Saya

People can be upset at a lot of things at once. I wasn't really into her music but I'm sad she's dead and it is tragic, and I still manage to follow the news on Norway and the famine in the horn of Africa and following all the news I can about the war in Afghanistan. There isn't really a limit to how many things a person can care about, its not a contest.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #6163
CarrionCorpse

Fucking flies... Everywhere in my house.
I've taken all the garbage out and cleaned the animal cages and everything else and STILL they exist.

Anyone know any methods aside from fly tape to get rid of them?
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #6164
honeythorn

Carnivorous plants. Suncatchers, pitchers ect. Or fly spray?
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #6165
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionCorpse View Post
Fucking flies... Everywhere in my house.
I've taken all the garbage out and cleaned the animal cages and everything else and STILL they exist.

Anyone know any methods aside from fly tape to get rid of them?
How do they get in? I seem to remember everyone having screens in MN, do they not work completely? My dad has taken to using an electric flyswatter to remove the mess cleaning stage of killing insects. I'm not sure how useful that is though, he likes to buy a lot of stupid shit.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #6166
CarrionCorpse

I honestly have no idea how they came to be. They just WERE one day, and it has been like that ever since. I despise fly tape, but might be forced to buy some for the time being.
And yes, we have screens.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #6167
Raptor

Weird. Unless you've forgotten about some food or something. I once left a house for about a month and forgot about a banana in a cupboard. Liquefied banana goo and maggots are not fun to clean up.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #6168
Saya

Do you notice if they congregate in your bathroom or kitchen or anything? Some flies come from drains, clean your pipes with a drain cleaner. Or you could trap them with a bowl of apple cider vinegar with a bit of dish detergent, the detergent will get them stuck.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #6169
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Do you notice if they congregate in your bathroom or kitchen or anything? Some flies come from drains, clean your pipes with a drain cleaner. Or you could trap them with a bowl of apple cider vinegar with a bit of dish detergent, the detergent will get them stuck.
That's not very vegan of you!

Make a little house for them and give them all individual names.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #6170
CarrionCorpse

Raptor:No, we don't have any bad food ANYWHERE in the house.
Saya:They are mostly in my room and the kitchen, I'll have to try cleaning the drains though just to make sure.
And the cider vinegar and soap is something I'll try right now!
They are BEYOND obnoxious.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #6171
Saya

Quote:
That's not very vegan of you!

Make a little house for them and give them all individual names.
We make sure to clean our drains in early spring so the worst we do is fly abortion, thank you.

Plus I spare spiders so they'll do the dirty work for me. Worst I've gotten so far this year is some moths coming in from outside.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #6172
Fruitbat

Quote:
Well there comes a time in your life when you have to take personal responsibility for where you are going and Winehouse paid the ultimate price for her stubbornness and refusal to accept her father's help and whatever other excuses she had to live her self-indulgent lifestyle.

AmyW chose her direction in life, the poor folks in Norway were just going for a camping holiday, hanging out with friends or at work.

I understand drug addiction is a major problem and I totally support people who go out and get rehab, but no one can make another person change unless they are willing to in the first place.

You don't let circumstances in your life control you, you control them.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #6173
Saya

Drug addiction is an illness, not a choice or simple circumstance. Besides, its not like she only had loving people around her desperately trying to get her to fix her up (although her family was), there was also a lot of people around her wanting her to stay drunk and pay for their own use.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #6174
Still Jack

Seriously. Idgaf. I can't justify caring about one person I didn't know's death and not about another. that's just plain hypocrisy.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #6175
AshleyO

I find it ironic...

A person very close to me is telling me how they'd feel guilty for accepting state aid for living expenses even though they are qualified for it... and they're talking about this to someone who actually uses that aid... you know, because I'm qualified for it.

I blame the traditional American individualist mindset.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote