Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Vivi

New Rocks vs Dr. Martens

I need a new pair of boots but i cant decide which brand is better quality. i personally think Dr. Martens to be generally better looking but i heard that they were being made in China. I have been told that New Rocks last longer but I dont know where they are made. Any suggestions?
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
PortraitOfSanity

They're both extremely high quality, so no worries there with either of them. They're two completely separate styles though. My Dr. Martens are more comfortable than my New Rocks, but not by much.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
stolide

I have only bought one walmart boots and they have survived a 16 year old boy. Camp outs, car washes, etc. They're water proof, oil proof and junk. I have had no complaints save from those who try to stomp on my feet and realize that I'm in steel toes or those who have been kicked.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Malice In Wonderland

Dr.Martens are a hell of a lot nicer.
Generally New Rocks look stupid as hell and over the top.

Dr.Martens are still better quality even though they're made in Thailand now.
New Rock's soles wear down to much or peel off.

And DM's are more comfy.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
JCC

Yeah, Docs by a mile.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Alarica

DM's without question. Good quality, hard wearing, comfortable, practical and go with anything!! And they customise perfectly. I personally really do not like New Rocks. They are way over priced too. I love my DM's. Plus they have steel toe caps and nobody can tell. They come in very handy.
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
chelseagirl

I used to wear nothing but Docs. My husband still only wears either Docs or Sambas, but I can definitely say from keeping my husband in Docs that they are a LOT poorer quality than they used to be. He goes through them pretty fast. He has owned 3 pairs of 14 eye steeltoes in the past 5 years, and on those the leather has cracked and split pretty badly, and the soles have come off of all three pairs. Docs are definitely not made as well as they used to be when they were still being made in England.

I have a few pairs of New Rock boots. The leather that New Rock uses is FAR superior to the leather the new Docs use. I don't really like most of New Rock's boots - they are too "busy" for my tastes - but I do like quite a few of their tamer styles. They actually make plain boots that look just like Docs.

I would probably go with New Rock if I were you, unless you found a store that still had "old stock" Docs that were made in England rather than China. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe New Rocks are actually made in Spain.

In case you do decide to go with New Rock - I posted a thread here that has a discount code that can be used up until January 4th that will get you 30% off your purchase from New Rock, so that would save you quite a bit of money.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
chelseagirl

Oh, another boot brand you may want to check out is Grinders. Grinders are really good quality and look very similar to Docs.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
chelseagirl

lol, one more piece of advice:

New Rock boots break in and are super comfy within days. The insides of the boots are slightly padded and are very comfortable around your calves.

Docs take fracking FOREVER to break in. Until they are broken in, they will probably give you blisters.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Vivi

Well I just went out and got myself a pair of Docs. They were just there and my wallet was full so....I hope they last me. Even if they arent as good as New Rocks they are way more comfy than Demonia boots. It doesnt say anywhere on the packaging or the boots where they were made. Crafty bastards.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #11
Alarica

I've had a few pairs over the last 17yrs, and the only problem I had was that my arse of a boyfriend threw 2 pairs out. They were well broken and had taken hours to paint (over a few days). I hope you and your DM's have a lasting relationship!

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Old 01-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #12
Vivi

I think what makes Docs better is that they're old-school. Anyone who loves the classic 80s goth look as much as I do is freaking awesome.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Malice In Wonderland

My Doc's didn't need breaking in at all.
New Rock soles tend to rub away so much quicker.

I've had a very small split in the sole of my Doc's and It was easily repaired with superglue.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland
Dr.Martens are a hell of a lot nicer.
Generally New Rocks look stupid as hell and over the top.

Dr.Martens are still better quality even though they're made in Thailand now.
New Rock's soles wear down to much or peel off.

And DM's are more comfy.
I agree. I have four pairs of Doc Martins, and their awesome!
Nice and comfy, good looking, durable. I still have my first pair, which were used to begin with. Unfortunatley, I have to get mine at thrift stores. But I clean 'em up and they look nice.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi
I think what makes Docs better is that they're old-school. Anyone who loves the classic 80s goth look as much as I do is freaking awesome.
Docs were old school before they started selling to Nordstrom. >_>
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
Breathless Horror

Docs over new rocks, though for everyday wear I prefer my combat boots. My 20 eye Docs take way too long to lace up unless I'm going to be outside all day.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
Undead_Stagehand

Docs. My ten-eye Docs are my work boots and my "Davina" Docs are my everyday boots (actually, they're kind of like sneakers).
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #18
Serren

My docs are really comfy and didn't take long to break in, they don't tend to last that long now though.

I did have some new rocks and found them VERY uncomfortable to wear, I didn't wear them that much and my sister was helping me to take them off and the bottom of the boot came away. I really ought to get them fixed.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
Alarica

The docs I have now are steelies, and are still looking good. My problem before was that the toes were getting crushed in and they looked bashed to hell when I still wanted a decent looking pair. Wont happen this time. Hopefully anyway.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'