Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
sickle

gothic songs by non-gothic bands

I love the gothic music that has that eerie tune to it, or a darker message to it, an example of songs I would list for this would be:

paint it black by Rolling Stones
voodoo by Godsmack ( take or leave )
sweet dreams by Marilyn Manson
hotel california by The Eagles
for whom the bell tolls by metallica
don't fear the reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
my name is death by Jude
lil' red riding hood by sam the sham & the pharaohs
sun doesn't rise by mushroom head ( kinda )
these filthy hands by mushroomhead

if anyone can think of other gothic songs by non gothic bands, let me know

p.s.
man in black by johnny cash ( kind of bordering with this one )
sickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Still Jack

Troll. Don't feed it.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Pineapple_Juice

oh jack, it's so tempting. I can't stand it.

MARILYN MANSON FTW SO NOT GOTH u don't even no wut goth IS!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Stormtrooper of Death

Epic fail on the OP's part.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
sickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
oh jack, it's so tempting. I can't stand it.

MARILYN MANSON FTW SO NOT GOTH u don't even no wut goth IS!
you .... are .... a .... mor... on.

Marilyn Manson isnt gothic?! OMG! You don't say! Holy Dumbass Pineapple sucker let's jump in the spongebob mobile and tell the others.

get a freakin clue you non reading neandrathal. what is the name of the thread einstein?

"gothic songs by non gothic bands"

if you are trying to tell me that rolling stones, the eagles, metallica, blue oyster cult or any of the other ones I listed were gothic you should be slapped and barred from intelligent conversation.

it is possible for a non gothic band to have a gothic song dumbass
Old 10-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Saya

But "Paint It Black" or any of the songs you listed are not gothic songs. Sounds nothing like goth music. Ergo, you're either a troll or a huge idiot.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
DepthsofSpace

When I saw the title of the thread, I was at least hoping it was going to be goth rock songs covered by non-goth artist.

i.e;

Kerli - She's in Parties (Bauhaus cover)
Cradle of Filth - No Time To Cry (The Sisters of Mercy cover)
AFI - Just Like Heaven / Hanging Garden (The Cure covers)

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
The Divine Ms. M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
But "Paint It Black" or any of the songs you listed are not gothic songs. Sounds nothing like goth music.
May be true, but I do have a cd called After Dark-The Alternative+Gothic Rock Collection which has a cover of it done by The Mighty Lemondrops. Hmm...
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
sickle

clearly we have two different understandings of goth, and what it means. I am looking at the lyrics of the song and what they are saying. I would consider man in black by johnny cash one of the forerunners for gothic music in the format of its lyrical meanings

to automatically lump goth in with black clothes, and lipstick, post punk era bands, and a particular format of playing the instruments is bordering on insulting to an individual such as myself who sees the original gothic movement beginning with people like Poe, or Dante
Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickle View Post
to automatically lump goth in with black clothes, and lipstick, post punk era bands, and a particular format of playing the instruments is bordering on insulting to an individual such as myself who sees the original gothic movement beginning with people like Poe, or Dante

TL;DR: Whining
http://anon.razorwire.com/real-goth-faq/
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Still Jack

Oh, fuck this, look, obviously OP doesn't have a clue. Obviously Pineapple was being sarcastic. Obviously LollyPop is correct. Obviously this thread is over...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
ForestMist

I have to say Sweet Dreams is originally by Eurythmics.
ForestMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #13
KontanKarite

Quote:
...But. It is. Goth is more punk than it is Poe. Sorry you feel insulted by wanting to be a part of something that doesn't bend to your idea of gothic shit like silly architecture.

You know those boys that made gothic cathedrals were really just trying to get people like Ollie and Johnny Slut to open up the Batcave in their churches.

The word "gothic" makes me grow a big rubbery one. Heh.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
sickle

if the people of this board consider goth to just be a bunch of individuals who choose to mimic someone else, and listen to some kind of music then I am ashamed to say I ever claimed to be something so shallow and meaningless.

For those that choose to follow this perspective I tell you that you are blind to things like gothic architecture, gothic literature and gothic art. You as far as I can tell are off springs of a hot topic generation. As much as I desired to find such a site so that I might speak to others of similiar interest I am deeply troubled that I ever came to this one and yet glad so that I know what has become of the gothic subculture.

tell the administerator to remove me.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Cicero

Quote:
if the people of this board consider goth to just be a bunch of individuals who choose to mimic someone else, and listen to some kind of music then I am ashamed to say I ever claimed to be something so shallow and meaningless.

For those that choose to follow this perspective I tell you that you are blind to things like gothic architecture, gothic literature and gothic art. You as far as I can tell are off springs of a hot topic generation. As much as I desired to find such a site so that I might speak to others of similiar interest I am deeply troubled that I ever came to this one and yet glad so that I know what has become of the gothic subculture.

There's this crazy thing called a homonym in our language. Look it up.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
KontanKarite

Quote:

Well... if that's how you feel, we can be brutally honest with each other. I think you're pretty much a poseur. I think you're not REALLY upset at us as individuals who would probably blow Andrew Eldritch, but more crying your eyes out at us because we do not agree with what you like to think goth is. You WANT to be right and appreciated for it. It's okay though. A lot of people are like this. You just don't want to be alone, but you don't want to have to change your understanding of things that are bigger than you to get camaraderie. You simply want us to abide by your misunderstanding and call you one of us as if there ever really IS an us to begin with.

Trust me though, I think most people here are assholes. :-/
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
sickle

whats truly sad is how many times this seems to be the response when I try to simply state that I am disgusted with someone on the internet.

as for the crying thing, you must be confusing me for one of those lil emo fags junior. as I said before it is sad where the gothic movement has degenerated towards. Allow me to break it down for you as clearly you do not understand.

gothic is about appreciation of the more morbid, and or dark aesthetics regardless of which arena. the whole concept of it being solely about music did not even become a thought process until the wal-mart of goth, Hot Topic.

and as for wanting to fit in with you, there you are truly mistaken. I have no desire to fit in with anyone. There is a fine line between wanting to conversate and fit in, for the most part I dispise the human population with very few exceptions. I have tried the whole fitting in, being popular thing before, it is very annoying, you have to keep up with trends, you lose yourself and you never get any time alone.

and for the record I never said that I was still a goth, if you will look back at my words you will clearly see that but I guess when you are cranking up the stereo as loud as you can to stuff like Switchblade Symphony it is hard to read.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
DepthsofSpace

This..

..is a damn elaborate troll.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #19
Pineapple_Juice

God, I know she's faking it but she's doing it so well...
Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #20
Still Jack

Man, I love trolls.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #21
ForestMist

Treat a troll like a farmer would treat a pig. Feed it, and when it's all nice and fat, kill it and eat it.
ForestMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #22
Pineapple_Juice

VeganPineapple does NOT approve.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #23
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
You know those boys that made gothic cathedrals were really just trying to get people like Ollie and Johnny Slut to open up the Batcave in their churches.
I found that amusing, especially since Ollie is now making trance music in the Australian rainforest.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote