Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #151
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
You were also younger when you were at home and we all learn more when we are younger, but that is beside the point. It seems that you are misunderstanding my post a bit and admittedly that may be my own fault. I did not mean to imply that those schools are good schools because of their resources, any public school will have more resources than the average family and any public school with have a wider available knowledge base among its faculty than is reasonably plausible for two parents, the great schools will also have the ability for the student to be individually nurtured and the ability to conform to a students learning type (instead of forcing the student to conform to the school's teaching style) that makes homeschooling such a good option for many people.
Well not really... I've only been at school a year. I haven't changed that much. That's true about any school, but the fact is too that a lot of teachers are incredibly defective, whether it just be laziness. My mother had a maths teacher, as a teenager ,who would never teach a single lesson, would just leave class as soon as he got there. Of course 10 people have collectively more knowledge than 2 people, however that doesn't necessarily mean they're doing their job at all properly.

But yes I take your point, sorry for misunderstanding it the first time around!
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #152
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Yea, it works educationally if whoever's homeschooling you is qualified. I mean, my parents are both teachers, I could have been home schooled pretty successfully. The trouble comes in when kids are purposely home schooled because of some beef with society. Take my uncle, who's a Mormon, and home schools because he thinks public schools will turn his kids into devil worshiping homosexual drug addicts. Add to that the fact that he and his wife have absolutely no qualifications to be in any sort of education, and it turns into a total clusterfuck.

I'll find papers when I have time, honestly, now that I see you're not some whack job, I can actually have a reasonable debate with you here. Gimme a couple hours though.

Well, I can understand that. I was lucky, you might say. My parents, though both uneducated, were not lacking in intelligence and the ability to find resources. By networking with people who did have the resources, and a lot of my own desires for knowledge, I succeeded educationally to the point where college was mostly a breeze for me. I really had no formal education (sans two years of Public School from K-though-First) until I started taking community college classes for high school credit. During those years of free time, I did volunteer work, including emergency services. I took an interest in astronomy and gave presentations to groups of physicist at conferences. I even got licensed through the FCC as an amateur radio operator. I don't know about you, but I would write myself off as a success story. My five siblings are coming up with a similar approach, though modified for their personalities and needs. My oldest, younger sister has graduated high school and is now pursuing her BA(And I think she'll go on to get her masters/doctorate) in English; my 17 brother attends a private co-op once a week, where all his instructors are retired college professors (I do wish I had had this option when I was his age). As I said before, for us and our situation, it worked quite well. My parents are quite religious, but the hardline doctrine mostly melted away years ago.

I do know home schoolers like the ones you are describing, who are backwards, religious fanatics; however, I know people like that who are in the school system and their kids turn out the same regardless.. Either they rebel and unfortunately go into a life of drugs and never go anywhere, or they become the exact copies of their parents. Ignorant and hateful. The scary thing outcome is, when they are bigots, but well educated at the same time.

Will my children be home educated? Most likely not, if things continue with my current lady. We are both career driven and I don't think have that time. However, I will make sure the have access to the best education available and that it supplies adequate time to themselves and self-discovery and self-learning. I personally like the private schools that are 3-4 days a week. I don't need a five day a week babysitter for my children, I need them to gain the general knowledge they need to succeed and then the free time to pursue what they want.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #153
DepthsofSpace

BTW, thanks for believing I'm not a whack-job. I'm possibly certifiably nuts, but not being written off as a whack-job brings joy to my heart. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
I have no idea what a CTR is (at least I don't think I do). I have lots of friends who are Navy wives so I can ask them =D

If you (or anyone else) would like to chat on IM, my most reliable one is AIM and my screen name is caramews.

DIA I don't hhink is haunted per say just the festering grounds for Masonic- Governmental Conspiracies. Go have a heyday on Google with it some time =)

Safe travels!
CTRs are the cryptos that do the actual collection analyst.

And I'll have to look up this airport.. Sounds like fun.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #154
PortraitOfSanity

Gothic.net has more than our share of tinfoil hat wearers. You can be crazy and not a whack-job at the same time.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #155
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace View Post
CTRs are the cryptos that do the actual collection analyst.

And I'll have to look up this airport.. Sounds like fun.
Then maybe you do have the same job as my man. He is an Intelligence Analyst. I suppose when he gets off day shop tomorrow I can ask him about the differences.

Is your lady in the military as well? How long have the two of you been together if you don't mind me asking?
carakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #156
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
Then maybe you do have the same job as my man. He is an Intelligence Analyst. I suppose when he gets off day shop tomorrow I can ask him about the differences.

Is your lady in the military as well? How long have the two of you been together if you don't mind me asking?
Ah, okay. That's like the Navy's IS rating (which I am), then. Unless he is doing signals collection, then that's the CTR rate. I was just curious.

She and I have been together officially 18 months as of yesterday. She's a law student, but is considering the Navy Reserves as an IS as well, and then putting her officer package in as well (same as I plan too).