Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Vyusher

Hello

I am, as one might surmise from the introduction thread, a new member. Other than this small notation, I am too terrible at introductions to elaborate further without extremely awkward wording I'd rather avoid. If you'd like to know more, asking questions is probably the most likely way to get efficient, properly worded information.
Vyusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
PersephoneX

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

2. Where are you from?

3. Who is your favorite author?

4. What are your favorite films?

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

6. At your funeral?

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

8. What kind of casket would you want?

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

11. What's your favorite band?

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

13. Why did you join?

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

And you clearly have an aversion to reading HEADINGS!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Vyusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm very into martial arts, and am very skilled at Muay Boran and Capoiera. I play guitar well, drums poorly, and sing somewhere in-between. I write more than anything else, and something wherein I can write is my main ambition as a career. Until I reach that goal, I'm working at a Chinese restaurant owned by the friend of a father while I go through school. I do whatever needs doing, washing dishes, serving, et ceteras. Although I really spend more time hitting on the customers than working, I must admit.

Quote:
2. Where are you from?
Colorado.

Quote:
3. Who is your favorite author?
This is hard to choose. Isaac Aasimov is brilliant, as is a lot of Heinlein. I like William Gibson's writing, but the man is a jerk, so I'd rather not choose him. Isaac Adamson writes fun, unique novels, but not enough for me to have reached a final verdict. Steinback and Camus were both brilliant, although Camus had low points and Seinback could've been so much better. Robert E. Howard made masterworks pop culture butchered throughout all of time since their publication (alas, poor Conan), but I don't know if I'd pick him as a favourite.
This probably reveals the personally facet of chronic indecision I have, eh?

Quote:
4. What are your favorite films?
The Grapes of Wrath, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, The Boondock Saints, Casablanca, Laurence of Arabia, The Maltese Falcon. Essentially, a mix of anarchist westerns, "classics", pulp-fiction noir movies, and a few science fiction movies that ended up passable, though I can't think of any to name right now.

Quote:
5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I had a list when I thought about getting engaged once, but I don't remember much of it. The Pogues were all over it.

Quote:
6. At your funeral?
London Calling, If I Should Fall From Grace With God, some Sisters of Mercy Song, We Are Nowhere and It's Now, and Atlantic City. Probably one other song voted on by those who knew me and are more objective about my life than me.

Quote:
7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
With some form of flourish. I don't just want to melt away from existance in a nursing home. Otherwise, I'm apathetic.

Quote:
8. What kind of casket would you want?
Cheap one so my money can go to better things than a box I will not be able to see, or if I am, will not care about. If my loved ones just threw me in a lake, I'd be okay with it. I'm not using my body anymore, some fish may as well eat it.

Quote:
9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
There's this zebra-print zoot tux that's pretty impressive. Really anything zebra print. I've been fanatical about it since I was 14 or so.

Quote:
10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Being nice. I was so sweet to everyone when I was kid, from what I remember and hear. I don't know what went wrong. I try to be, but I have a tendancy to say really, really mean things to people if they're true.

Quote:
11. What's your favorite band?
It changes frequently, but the Clash, the Pogues, and Sisters of Mercy are always up there, so I'll say them.

Quote:
12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I'm finishing high school now, I have no idea what I'll majour in. I'd like to go into Law, as it seems one of the most likely ways to make a difference, but the idea of being an anarcho-syndicalist lawyer seems so ridiculous I'm not sure about the course.

Quote:
13. Why did you join?
The Music board description. It is official proof that this is the single greatest forum ever.

Quote:
14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male.

Quote:
And you clearly have an aversion to reading HEADINGS!
I don't understand. Is there some form of heading I should put at the top of my post that I forgot? The caps make me feel like I'm really thick and missing some great joke.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
PersephoneX

Uh, there's a thread heading that tells you newbies to read it!
If you had, i wouldnt have had to post the questions FOR you!

Welcome aboard the Pirate-Rabbit hutch...

*have an IcedZoo Biscuit*
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

"Creationists make it sound like a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
Yay Isaac!
Welcome.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Pyre

Quote:
Uh, there's a thread heading that tells you newbies to read it!
If you had, i wouldnt have had to post the questions FOR you!

Welcome aboard the Pirate-Rabbit hutch...

*have an IcedZoo Biscuit*
Persephone, you've become a lot more rude since I left. Perhaps you should take a break, just as I did for the exact same reason.

Welcome to the boards, Vyusher. I rather enjoyed your introduction.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Hmmm, Pyre, do you think it's "burnout"?

Jillian, you have been here longer than just about everyone; have you ever suffered Gnet burnout and taken a break?

Oh, and Welcome Vyusher! Isaac Asimov rules!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain

Jillian, you have been here longer than just about everyone; have you ever suffered Gnet burnout and taken a break?
Quite possibly. I spent a lot of time on these forums, and so I started getting really agitated by some of the ignorance I saw in some. It still exists, but I don't feel a need to lash out at people for it (right now).

Jillian's always a sweetie. I don't think he could manage ever getting such a burnout.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 02-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
HumanePain

Hmmm maybe that's my problem with Tha Duckman. I should have planned Hawaii for now instead of May.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Pyre

Quote:
Hmmm maybe that's my problem with Tha Duckman. I should have planned Hawaii for now instead of May.
No. There is no excuse for Tha Duckman. He is a nuisance regardless of the situation. I wouldn't mind him if he stopped whoring out senseless posts.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
Tha Duckman

You mean like this one?

Biscuits.

That was the post right there.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:

Oh, and Welcome Vyusher! Isaac Asimov rules!
Actually, I flamed Jilli when he first joined. I've been around for about 5 years now. 4? I don't remember.

Most of us take a break from one time to another, but as most of us can also attest, Gnet's addictive.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
No. There is no excuse for Tha Duckman. He is a nuisance regardless of the situation. I wouldn't mind him if he stopped whoring out senseless posts.
It is reassuring to see my sentiment validated, especially by you Pyre. I was beginning to think I was acting old again with being the only one around Gnet who didn't like his cluttering up Gnet. Those posts will scare away potential members who are looking for a truely creative outlet, thinking Gnet is a literary site in name only.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
Tha Duckman

As it happens, I'm a free writer. While unconventional, it is fun.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #15
Pyre

There is a difference between being a free writer and a troll.

When I want to do free writing I throw it in the random section. Why? Because free writing usually is something random, not something that deserves to be posted in a thread intended for conversation.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Well. When I entered, first I was flamed by Xng because of my use of this color.:P
Then, Santarea (Beckyslater) and I hit a wall in ideas and began arguing, but we reconciled ourselves that same day (I was cute and she told me I made her feel like the fucking Grinch when his heart grew ^^)
I have never felt the need to leave, though. If I have the tiniest of free time, there's always a computer around, so it's easy to log on.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #17
Circle V

Welcome. You sound like you're using more sophisticated language than you're comfortable with. It's awkward and forced. It hurts my mind.

That said, I think I like you.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
Welcome. You sound like you're using more sophisticated language than you're comfortable with. It's awkward and forced. It hurts my mind.

That said, I think I like you.
At least you didn't say he is stupid for his use of vocabulary. I cannot count the number of times I have been called stupid for using words that surpassed "common" vocabulary, and such words were not obscure, nor were they difficult for the average person. Not to mention I have a rather different style of writing.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #19
Circle V

I must mention that he did address my concern in his first post.

It wasn't that he used big words, but that he used them where common words would do just fine, or better. He wrote with a voice other than his own.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #20
Vyvian Blackthorne

I am new as well.
Vyvian Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
Circle V

Please make your own thread, just like this one, and answer the same questions as this fellow has.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #22
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
I must mention that he did address my concern in his first post.

It wasn't that he used big words, but that he used them where common words would do just fine, or better. He wrote with a voice other than his own.
Exactly. I do the same sometimes. It just comes and goes whimsically. Though, he may genuinely use such English regularly.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #23
Vyusher

To address the way I type:
As I said, I'm terrible with introductions. Such things would sound forced in whatever diction I used.

Much of what I read is very old, or written quite formally, yet I do not speak this way whatsoever. Sometimes I write with incredibly antiquated and "obsolete" language. My vocabulary is a bizarre amalgamation of slang, profanity, and formal older English words. When written, I err more to the side of formality, when speaking, more to the side of common, modern language. It leads to funny shit, though, oftentimes; I have used both "verily" and "motherfucker" in the same sentence, not as a joke, but as the normal way I speak.

Persephone: Sorry, I missed it. It would seem that I do avoid headings, I suppose.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #24
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Actually, I flamed Jilli when he first joined. I've been around for about 5 years now. 4? I don't remember.

Most of us take a break from one time to another, but as most of us can also attest, Gnet's addictive.
Ah yes, I forget you are the Revered and Mysterious Xnguela in disguise! A true Elder Goth of Gnet and Elsewhere. (bows in humble homage) Sorry I had forgotten your seniority here, I am but a senile old man.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #25
jacquelinetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
Persephone, you've become a lot more rude since I left. Perhaps you should take a break, just as I did for the exact same reason.

Welcome to the boards, Vyusher. I rather enjoyed your introduction.
There are rules. PersephoneX isn't the only one to jump in when someone doesn't start off with the "introduction questions". I haven't, but that's just me. It may have come across as "rude", but I've seen people flamed over not answering the questions first.

"Don't point the finger at me
I am only a rat in a maze like you
And only the dead go free"
-- Roger Waters
4:41AM (Sexual Revolution)
The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
jacquelinetm is offline   Reply With Quote