Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #76
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaara View Post
Lake Charles. Oh man I haven't been to Lafayette in a good minute.

Saya: Haha Cajuns are awesome, no?
I went and looked it up and I actually passed through there twice I think heading to and from Houston for Christmas. I distinctly remember a sailboat washed up on the banks of the river right near the north side of the interstate that heads up from the lake. I also remember a large office building that is apparently owned by Capital One. Though I could be wrong about which river the sailboat was in.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #77
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

In short, is Kevin Costner white Lakota? I want to say yes because I like the idea that some cultures are racially inclusive, but I highly suspect that such a thought would deeply offend Native Americans.

There are documented occurrences where this did actually happen. There were white people who indeed became parts of Native tribes legitimately.

But there's a key factor here to consider. These white outsiders were integrated by the terms of the tribe and not by the terms of the "intruder".

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #78
Saya

I haven't seen Dances, but I do get annoyed with the Mighty Whitey trope.

There's a difference between cultural appropriation and cultural exchange, and shifting from one kind of culture to another. Military culture is different from other American cultures, but its still American. Its a lot harder to go to a foreign country and be adapted as a member of that country. Or even adapting something from their culture, like there are Buddhist texts that go right over my head sometimes because I just can't get out of my worldview, and Buddhism here is distinctly different from Buddhism in Asia. Honestly I'm doing a lot of Christianity courses because it comes to me a lot easier than Chinese philosophy or Hinduism.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #79
honeythorn

Mother's side of the family is welsh, Father's side is presumably scottish as his surname ( and therefore my immediate family's ) is scottish .

However, I don't see the point in going around saying I'm half this, quarter that and a 10th whatever. It's more than a bit ridiculous and pointless unless you have real life connections with those areas and family in them. For all I know I could have a millionth of Czech in my genetics somewhere, I don't go exclaiming I'm partly eastern european.

One could say most of the population of europe has a fair bit of Scandanavian genes in them as the vikings were one of the most widely travelled/spread groups of people imaginable way back when. No one gives a shit wether they do or not.

I'm English. I was born in England. Job done.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #80
Delkaetre

Irish, more Irish, further Irish, and a teeny wee bit of Scots waaaaay back when.

I suppose there might be some Viking or Roman if you want to go back that many centuries, but we're going back that far then I'm probably also related to Charlemagne just like nearly everyone else in Europe (dude got around is all I'm saying).
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #81
Jackson Cutler

I'm ginger.
Jackson Cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #82
Grausamkeit

There is Native American, Irish and German in my family.

When someone dies, we drink. When someone is born, we drink. When someone weds, we drink. When someone divorces, we drink. On the holidays, we drink.

In summary: SHUT YOUR MAIZE HOLE AND GET ME SOME FIRE WATER!!!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #83
FistsofFury

I'm a black American. My father's side is from Mississippi and my mother's side is from Alabama. That is all our family knows.

The African ancestry DNA tests are $300 so it'll be a while before I find out. Cause I'd need one for both paternal and maternal genes.

My melting pot is a big black question mark. I am nothing but American...suck it.

-edit-
You guys don't know how lucky you are to know your heritage. How many of you all have family crests? I've been wanting to invent my own family crest based on the old heraldry customs (a year ago I got a book from the library and everything!) but I'm wondering why I want one. The whole draw of having/digging up/claiming a family crest is due to the historical connection? Well if you make one up in the present...what is the point?

So I ask you guys: I am someone that is not of European descent. For me to just jack an aspect of European (particularly English) culture for my own enjoyment....is it offensive? Or just silly?
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #84
Solumina

Well as you said if you are just making it up then what is the point?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #85
Saya

Considering how much the European powers, particularly the British, have forced their own culture on everyone else, it ain't offensive.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #86
Jaye Jang

Fists of Fury

Try looking in places like this for starters:

http://www.houseofnames.com/

http://www.crests.com/surname_history.htm

I got my family coat of arms from these folks:

http://www.heritagecrests.com/
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #87
FistsofFury

Thanks Jaye Jang but I have the 2nd most common last name in the English speaking world (1. Smith 2. Brown 3. Johnson) so there are many crests. Really am better off making my own!
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #88
Sinjob

Fellow Cherokee Irish lad here.
Didn't read this thread, only the part where the OP tells us.
Sorry.
Just that lazy.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #89
Haejin

Didn't read the rest of the thread either. I'm a hapa mutt, consisting of korean, japanese, french, english, german, and cherokee.
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #90
Murder.Of.Crows

I'm part Narnian.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #91
Haejin

cool n' stuff
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #92
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
I'm part Narnian.
FINALLY other Narnians get exposure.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #93
Joker_in_the_Pack

I once had a friend from Gallifrey
We just had some tea last Saturday
It was a marvelous drink
But before I could blink
He was in his blue box and away.

... that is all.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote