Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Vladinator

I need a makeover.

Ok - I'm hopelessly out of style, and I need help. We're talking total makeover here. I need advice on everything from clothes, and shoes, to hair, and makeup. I need to be able to survive in a corporate environment during the day.

Can anyone help me?
Vladinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Minyaliel

Perhaps if you've read my thread on fashion advice for the newbies and then give us an accurate description of yourself :P That is, if you don't decide you'll just wear whatever suits your fancy. As for corpgoth wear, there's a site for that on waningmoon.com (or something like that)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Vladinator

Well, I'm a little hesitant to describe myself, as I have issues with my weight, and self esteem.

But, ok:

I'm 5'11"
I weight almost 265 lbs.
I have dark brown hair, and hazel eyes.
I am very light complected, and never, ever go out in the sun.
My hair is very thick, and just a touch wavey. I have what's called 'Salt n Peper' hair. Which I hate.

I did try to look briefly through the threads, but the volume of information is overwhelming. I am still trying to make my way through it all. Which thread is yours?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Minyaliel

This one =)

As for your weight, don't worry about it. We're not going to judge you based on that.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Vladinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
This one =)

As for your weight, don't worry about it. We're not going to judge you based on that.
Yeah, and I'm pretty good lately at beating myself up about it - no real need for help. :-)

I forgot to mention, I also wear glasses.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Minyaliel

I saw the image you posted in your intro thread... so, my suggestion for you:

Cut your hair. I bet you'd look a lot younger and handsomer with a nice short cut. Don't hide your face.

For workday clothes, why not try a simple black suit with a nice shirt; a white silk shirt with a nice monocoloured tie or something would actually suit you, I think.

Take a look at http://waningmoon.com/corpgoth/fashion.shtml, I think that might help.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Vladinator

Quote:
I saw the image you posted in your intro thread... so, my suggestion for you:

Cut your hair. I bet you'd look a lot younger and handsomer with a nice short cut. Don't hide your face.

For workday clothes, why not try a simple black suit with a nice shirt; a white silk shirt with a nice monocoloured tie or something would actually suit you, I think.

Take a look at http://waningmoon.com/corpgoth/fashion.shtml, I think that might help.

Sad, but true - I know I look better with shorter hair. I just wanted to see what it looks like long. I'll have to upload some of my short-hair pictures.

I will check that website out! Thank you!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
Minyaliel

A pleasure to be of assistance.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 12-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
Vladinator

Quote:
There isn't a lot of pictures. :-( Mongo need pictures of clothes! lol
Old 12-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, I would actually say to leave it long until you can have a ponytail, but that would take a lot of time, and the period of waiting until one's hair lenght is accomplished can be a bitch.
Hair dye would be nice. I have imagined myself in the future as a corporate goth, and I will have a oewter ponytail.
For a fancy corporate goth, picture Citizen Kane with Chaplin make up. (no mustache of course )
For a more casual corporate goth, picture something like this http://www.dracinabox.com/corpgothmale.htm

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
Heatherzilla

Hair is easy, just go to your hairdresser and let them do whatever they want, you will be pleasently surprised. They'll know what will suit you. Corporate clothing is also easy, if its formal then wear a suit (a nice taliored one, you can always tell if someone is wearing a cheap suit) and a nice buisness shirt, heres where you can show your gothic style just don't wear a black shirt, a black shirt with a black suit is too much black but deep reds, grey and muted purple look good, get them in a nice fabric that feels good on, theres nothing worse than wearing uncomfortable clothes especialy when you have to wear them for a long time. Silk is nice and cotton is good in summer. You can also get some really nice cufflinks to wear with these. And a nice tie, again I like silk but these can get expensive. Shoes, just a nice pair of black docs or lace up boots, keep them in good condition and they'll last forever. Probably best not to wear make-up to work, some places get a little weird if a guy is wearing make-up. But if you're going to wear make-up just a little eyeliner and maybe some eyeshaddow if you are feeling dareing. If your work place is less formal just wear some nice pants, a buisness shirt and a nice taliored jacket in winter. You can also accessorise by geting a few different pairs of glasses or wear contacts. Hope I've helped.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Hey, sorry Vladinator, didn't see this until now.

As a Corporate Goth lucky enough to be living the fantasy, here are my humble suggestions:

I can get away with wearing this at a conservative, 83 Billion dollar/year company managed by golf playing executives:

http://home.comcast.net/~bob.zox/GothOrNotLarge.JPG

But you will notice no facial piercings (to my despair!). I wish i could get my eyebrow pierced, but take my word for it and stay away from that sort of thing until your new clothes are accepted. "Ease" into it. That's what I did, started wearing black once a week, then twice a week, then every day. Then I smuggled in the bovine skull first (hey, I work with a lot of Texans, so they liked it!), then I brought in the Raven to my cube on Halloween and he never left. You get the idea.

There is another guy I work with , and he has come in with tattoos down his arm, and no one has said anything to him (there are a lot of ex-military people there too, so what if he happens to have red devils on his arm!).

Then you can start wearing Celtic crosses (the Christians like it), then ease into rings with ornate carvings on them, and before you know it, you have acheived Corporate Gothdom! But ALWAYS work YOUR A$$ OFF!!! That way, if there is a layoff, they won't fire you becasue of your non-conformity, you are "worth" keeping to them, regardless of your fashion.

I also talked to my boss in advance, to let him know I would grow a pony tail and dye it purple, and guess what? He had dyed his hair purple too before he had become a manager! (Before I was hired there.)

Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #13
Graveyard.Crow

You look like such a sweetheart
Old 12-31-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Who, Vlad or me?

If me, thanks for being nice, but I know I am an old bastard. But thanks anyway.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #15
Graveyard.Crow

Both of you do
And you are not old nor a bastard, I have a bastard raydar hehe.