Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
tianas_knife

Testing the waters.

Hello everyone. My name is Tiana, or Ti for short. I was a member of these forms over 10 years ago, and fell away for such a long time that my profile seems to have been deleted. I believe you could have found me under tianas_knife or tiana_and_her_knife back then.

I wanted to come by and reconnect with myself in a way.
TLDR: I talk a lot. Also: Fiber arts, vague references to Pagan religious practices, enjoys reading non-fiction and sci-fi, enjoys weird/bad movies, and wants to have an open air "burial".

Wrote all of this very late in the evening, which turned into very very early in the morning. So proof-reading was done as best as her tired brain could manage. If possible, I will edit more when I come back to the post after some sleep.

Has a list of music cleverly disguised as a wall of text designed to make you want to skip over the whole thing so that you will judge me less. Or at least judge me on stupid things, like blocks of texts that you don't want to read, because you're lazy.

Overall, a friendly lady who regards quirkiness and tolerance to be more of a plus in people over most other traits.

Is very open to all questions.
1. I am a Legal Assistant at a law firm.

I am also a Fiber Artist, working generally with yarns, crochet, spinning, knitting, and some weaving. On occasion, if I can get my hands on some bobbins, I'll do some bobbin lace. I have recently acquired an antique rug shuttle, and I'm hoping to begin working with that once I can make repairs to the shuttle.

I am a sex educator. I always said to myself that if the Art thing didn't work out, I'd be a sex therapist. I got some training on sex education, just in case.

I am a First Degree Priestess through the Aquarian Tabernacle Church, and I am studying at the Woolston-Steen Theological Seminary. I do tarot readings both face to face and long distance over the phone and online. I prefer to be paid for my services in some form of money, but I have been known to accept payment in the form of glasses of Merlot, Chardonnay, or the local microbrew beer. ^_^

Other than that, my hobbies range from Improv Comedy (watching, not performing. I am the box office lady for a local troupe. And a damn good, fine looking one at that.), Festivals, Cons, bookkeeping, swimming, camping, some indoor gardening, welding, metal smithing, and generally other artistic pursuits. I'm sure I do much more, however, this is all that is coming to me at the moment.

2. I am from the Pacific Northwest. I've lived here all my life, and I love it. I would only consider a move to a place in the British Isles, or Ireland as the climate is similar.

3. I am fond mainly of non fiction, and, oddly enough, text books. I am particularly fond of books relating to human sexuality, religion, atheism, astronomy, psychology, philosophy, music history, diy anything, art theory and art history. I consider myself a dabbler in many of these subjects, and by no means an expert in most of them.

Other than that, I am a fan of Science Fiction, notably Vonda McIntyre's book "Dreamsnake", the Dune Series by Frank Herbert, and, because it was very influential to me when I was but very wee, The Myst Reader by Rand Miller and David Wingrove.

I am also a large fan of Autobiographies, most notably (and recently) "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" by William Kamkwamba.

I prefer to listen to audio books as I have slight dyslexia, and having books read to me leaves my hands open to art, craft, or other busywork.

The vast majority of my reading time is spent researching and in self education.

4. Science Fiction films, Art house movies, B, C, and D films, J-horror (but more silly than scary) and Animation. The movie currently most dear to my heart is a movie called "The Happiness of the Katakuris." I recently watched "House" for the first time, and it blew my mind. Loved it.

5. I have never really thought of this. I was not a big wedding planner. But what I DO have planned is the part where the officiant asks the crowd "Does anyone object to this Marriage? Speak now or forever hold your peace." My boyfriend and I are planning on planting some hired people in the audience to do a Professional Wrestling style run in with a wrestling match to fight for my attentions. I'm really not sure how its going to turn out, its not my idea. Its my boyfriend's. I find it hilarious.

But if I did have to pick a song... "Closure" from Opeth maybe? I don't know. Its whats on right now.

6. Dance music. I lived dancing, I intend to die dancing, and I want everyone dancing on my grave when I go. I don't care what it is, as long as it will remind people fondly of me, and it will not allow them to get off the dance floor.

7. Peacefully of very very old age. And, like I said, Dancing.

8. I plan to have as green a body disposal as possible. And at this point, in order to do the least amount of damage to the environment, I either want an open air funeral - my body to be laid out, dressed in a shroud, in the woods away from hiking trails and in some kind of marshy wet place; a sea funeral - dropped ceremoniously in the ocean (as soon as I'm not buoyant, I don't want to float off anywhere.); or buried in just a hole, again, in only a shroud. No casket, nothing expensive, and as green as possible.

I have to admit, though, I still secretly hold the dream to be sent off in a Viking Funeral, flaming boat and all. Maybe I'll add in to my Will and Final Testiment instructions for people to build a Viking boat and burn it without my body on it. It really seems like a waste, though. Maybe a bunch of very small ones. Like a tiny Viking fleet on fire. Less of a waste? I think it'll be more good for the heart of my survivors, really.

9. I have a black suade vest, a leather belt with a big brass buckle, and a tight, black and white striped dress. The stripes are maybe 3/4ths of an inch wide. I generally wear it with leggings and boots. Sometimes with knee high socks and boots.

10. Nearly everything. I miss not working, and not being financially responsible for myself. So much freedom.

11. Opeth, Peter Murphy (who I'm seeing on tour in Dec.) Bauhaus, Crüxshadows, Siouxsie, the Creatures, Alice in Chains, Nightwish (but really only with Tarja Turunen, the new vocalist is having a hard time growing on me.), Mediaeval Baebes, Sisters of Mercy, Cocteau Twins, Gaia Consort, Cornelius, Doudou N'Daiye Rose, SJ Tucker, Erykah Badu, Inkubus Sukkubus, Graeme Revell, The Mars Volta, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Raymond Scott, Rosin Coven, the Montreal Lithuanian Choir, TV on the Radio, Reggie Watts, the Lennon Sisters, Scissor Sisters, Julia Massey & The Five Finger Discount, Esa Hakkarainen, and Crazy Boy Floyds. I think that this is a fair sampling of my music library.

12. I have a BA in Studio Arts with an Emphasis in Fibers, a minor in Religion and a second minor in Psychology. I am currently studying at the Woolston-Steen Theological Seminary for a BA in Ministry. I'm hoping to continue to a MA, possibly even a PhD, but probably not.

13. Years ago, I was a lonely kid looking for community. I learned a lot, and brought a sense of joy and unconditional positive regard to the boards. I am older now, probably more jaded, but looking to reconnect with what made me who I am by going through experiences that shaped me as a younger me.

14. I identify as female.
tianas_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here, you seem an interesting person !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Morpheus13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianas_knife View Post
2. I am from the Pacific Northwest. I've lived here all my life, and I love it. I would only consider a move to a place in the British Isles, or Ireland as the climate is similar.
Aside from living there all my life, I am in the same boat as you. I love it here.
Morpheus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Kasdeja

Hello! I'm just below you in Oregon... I can't see myself living anywhere else.

Enjoy the boards!

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Morpheus13

Thanks, I hope to.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Entity0013

I'm also fond of our rather gloomy climate.
Entity0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Morpheus13

What's not to love?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Grausamkeit

Hey Morph, feel free to participate in the rest of the forum.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote