Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Commentary
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Commentary Dicussion and feedback for Gothic.net articles, fiction, and news. This is where the community gets to add their thoughts and perhaps constructive opinions about the fiction and articles and such.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
Eeegor

The King of Shadows by Maria Alexander

Quote:
"Believe me, king of shadows, I mistook."
-- Puck to Oberon,
A Midsummer-Night's Dream, Act III, ii

The funeral was today.

I wrote a film some years back about morgue workers. I watched tape after tape of interviews, the mortician's assistants telling frightful tales about bodies unrecognizable from their wounds, which they dressed and coated with layers of cosmetics. They had learned to make Death rosy-cheeked and peaceful.
Read the full article
Eeegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Jane13

Really interesting story. It's full of both mundane and fantasy imagery, and brings to mind a lot of questions about religion and nature vs nurture. It also had my favorite "a" word, antedeluvian. Nice point of view.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
mydnyght

very interesting, daughter of the shadow king.
mydnyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
emeraldlonewoulf

Definitely another top notch tale from this author. This is one of those stories that can pull the angels and demons from your past. It also demonstrates how both entities can be represented by one being, and how the natural and the unnatural, the supernatural, can be brought forth from the same cloth, interwoven to make a single reality.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Wolf DarkRain

Location: USA PA (the land of the Amish and French fries in salads)
That was wonderful. You missed a few letters for some words, but other than that, it was perfect. Sadly, this tale reminded me of my own asshole of a father who I still have to live with along with a mother blinded to his cruelty. I cannot say it better thane she said before.
Wolf DarkRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
ladyeuthanasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf DarkRain
That was wonderful. You missed a few letters for some words, but other than that, it was perfect. Sadly, this tale reminded me of my own asshole of a father who I still have to live with along with a mother blinded to his cruelty. I cannot say it better thane she said before.
Thanks, Wolf! I'm afraid that, due to some problems in the HTML porting the story into the website, there were some formatting problems that probably cut up some words. (I've found similar problems in some of my other stories.) Anyway, thanks to everyone for their kind words! This story was a Finalist in a fiction competition sponsored by people like Francis Ford Coppola and Variety Magazine. It seems even the not-so-dark at heart can appreciate it, too.
ladyeuthanasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
deafasadoornail

That was excellent, very well crafted! I always like funeral stories, and this one had a particularly good ending.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
mindless1

I loved the story. Towards the ending, I was confused as to whether this was actually happening or it was how she had suddenly realized that this was her father. I loved how he was such an inspiring man, and then yet he was abusive and became like the gruesome characters in the fairytales he would read to her...a monster. What a great read!
mindless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
Tam Li Hua

Very good story.
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
lilacgoddess

This was an awesome read. I enjoyed the play of light within dark, and vice versa. Very emotional, it actually gave me goosebumps and a few tears.
lilacgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
DarkFaerie

This Story Was Amazing, It Really Was.
It Reminded me of Some Of My Favourtie Writers, But It Had A Really Interesting Edge to It
Beautiful Piece Of Writing, I Must Say!
x
DarkFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
luna876

wow just wow the story was amazing it touched my heart. you are a poetic genuis. i cant stand how good it is it is so good i wanna read it again and again and again and again. great job keep up the good writing and maybe candlewick press will publish you.
luna876 is offline   Reply With Quote