Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Beowulf

Hammer Horror

I was wondering if there is anyone here who loves the classic Hammer Horror movies that were made between the late 1950`s to the early 1970`s .

During those years the London based Hammer Studio produced many films (some of them timeless classsics) of this genre includingracula Has Risen From The Grave, The Curse Of Frankenstiein, The Devil Rides Out, Countess Dracula, Twins Of Evil, Dracula AD 1972.

Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Ingrid Pitt, Dave Prowse (played Darth Vader) and even Oliver Reed have all had famous roles in these iconic and influencial films.

To find out more about Hammer films click on the links below ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_Film_Productions

Hammer Studio

http://www.hammerfilms.com/

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t3wGR5_wTw

The Devil Rides Out Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsaaMQqtf3g

Countess Dracula Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9UBmSjsX5Q
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
isobel black

I really like Hammer movies, and other 'gothic' horror movies of that era.

Are you familiar with Roger Corman's Poe adaptations? (most of them star Vincent Price) A Hammer fan should love them. I also highly recommend Bava's Black Sunday.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Man In Room 5

Hammer is great. I watched those old Hammer movies on TV as a kid along with those Corman Poe movies (Stephen King called them "Poepics"). The 1st DVD box set I ever bought was this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Collect...5332013&sr=8-5

Right now I'm trying to write something about gothic horror movies and I'm rewatching movies I haven't seen since I was a kid. After I compiled the list of movies I needed to watch, I realized that over half the list was Hammer movies. I still haven't seen any of the Karnstein Trilogy and I'm still looking for She and The Reptile. I got to see The Devil Rides Out a few weeks ago and it was excellent.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
isobel black

I recently acquired The Vampire Lovers and Lust for a Vampire on dvd, I didn't get 'round to watching Lust for a Vampire yet, but I really love The Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil. (my nick is the name of an actress from Twins of Evil btw, I'll have to check but I think she plays the school teacher)

I could rip those first two installments and upload them for you if you're having a hard time finding them. The Reptile was a laugh, I wont say too much about it if you haven't seen it yet, don't think I ever caught She.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobel black
I could rip those first two installments and upload them for you if you're having a hard time finding them. The Reptile was a laugh, I wont say too much about it if you haven't seen it yet, don't think I ever caught She.
I'm not having a hard time finding them, I'm just having a hard time finding cash to pay for them. If you want to rip them for me I'd be happy to DL them from where ever, or if you're on Soulseek we could hook up that way. If you do rip them just let me know. There's no hurry. I have a whole list of books and movies I need for my writing project and I'm trying to get most of them from libraries and video rental shops instead of actually buying them. In fact, I just returned from the library with 10 books I have to read in a month.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
isobel black

Cool, I'll see if I can get 'round to it tomorrow.

I'm not on Soulseek and I don't know if there might be an easier way, but my internet service provider has what they call 'gigamail'. It lets me send huge files to an email adress by uploading them, and then you can download them at your regular download speed.

If you don't mind supplying me with an email adress I think that would just be easiest for me.

Sounds like some project you've got going there. Is it for school?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Beowulf

Cool

Man In Room 5,

I was wondering if you have you seen the ultimate `Hammer Collection` boxset, it has 21 different Hammer films in it, Including the `Reptile` and `She` ?

These are the films you get with the box set, and if you live in the UK you can get it for £35.00 (it used to be £149.00) which is excellent value for money and the films are ...

Blood from the Mummies Tomb
Demons of the Mind
The Devil Rides Out
Dracula Prince of Darkness
Fear in the Night
Frankenstein Created Woman
The Horror of Frankenstein
The Nanny
One Million Years BC
The Plague of the Zombies
Prehistoric Women
Quatermass and The Pit
Rasputin The Mad Monk
The Reptile
Scars of Dracula
She
Straight On Till Morning
To The Devil A Daughter
The Vengeance of She
The Viking Queen
The Witches

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=566620
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Malice In Wonderland

I've been eyeing that boxset for ages.
It's at the top of my "to buy" list.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Sounds like some project you've got going there. Is it for school?
No. It's a book I'm trying to write upon gothic art through the ages. It would be something like Gothic by Richard Davenport-Hines but written from an inside POV. He's an outsider and seems to have missed a lot.

My Email is maninroom5 @ yahoo. com

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
gothicusmaximus

I've got Horror of Dracula, Brides of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Dracula Has Risen From His Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, and a couple others on DVD. The Karnstein trilogy is fucking awesome, as is Vampire Circus. I've been meaning to pick up Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter for a long time.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
Albert Mond

I've got The Evil of Frankenstein.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
Man In Room 5

@ Beo,

I haven't seen that particular box set but I've seen a couple others besides the one I mentioned above. I may pick up another box set next time I'm at Borders. I guess I should also check the local pawn shops and Circuit City, since they're going under.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
No. It's a book I'm trying to write upon gothic art through the ages. It would be something like Gothic by Richard Davenport-Hines but written from an inside POV.
Cool, sounds like quite the endeavor though. What time span will you be covering?

If I get this to work (I've never ripped a DVD but how hard can it be, right) you'll find an email tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Cool, sounds like quite the endeavor though. What time span will you be covering?
I hope to cover everything between the 15th century and about 1995, but not in depth. I'm only following the themes that interest me instead of attempting a complete or balanced picture. There's no way I could document everything so I'm not even trying to be fair. It's more like a personal interpretation that I just want to throw out and see if anyone agrees with it. If I'm lucky enough to get it published it will probably be one of those books that you either completely love or completely hate. I'll just be happy if I can do better than the piles of books that are already out there.

Quote:
If I get this to work (I've never ripped a DVD but how hard can it be, right) you'll find an email tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks! I've never ripped a DVD either but now I'm tempted to rip my Hammer box set, UL them and share the links. Maybe a few other members can do the same and we can all post DL links here for each other.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Beo, that is an awesome find, thanks
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
I've never ripped a DVD either but now I'm tempted to rip my Hammer box set, UL them and share the links. Maybe a few other members can do the same and we can all post DL links here for each other.
I had thought about that too, but I've never used an upload site before, so I suggested the gigamail thing for personal convenience But I guess if I'm going to go to the trouble of uploading them, I might as well do it that way so more people can benefit from it.

Would you happen to be familiar with an upload site that's easy to use?

Btw, I didn't get 'round to ripping them yet. If you're going for a lesbian vampire chapter I could include The Blood-Splattered Bride, a Spanish 1960's flick that's based on Carmilla like the Karnstein trilogy.

And I like your choice of including medieval Gothic. It seems most books of this type start off with 18th century literature.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
Man In Room 5

If you're going to upload movies I'd use Depositfiles. There is also Megaupload and Rapidshare but I think they both have file size limits that usually require you to break up big files like movies into multiple files and that requires an extra step and an extra program (like HJ Split). Just try one movie and see how much work it takes. I'll do the same. If it goes well maybe we can add more over time and if not we can forget it.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
Man In Room 5

Now that I think of it, there is probably already a Hammer movie blog somewhere where you can download their movies. I'll look around and if I find it I'll post the link here.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
All Shall Be Judged

I got the box set for £30, and you'll probably find it even cheaper online.

Love Hammer Horror. It's just so... quaint.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
isobel black

MIR5,

I finally got 'round to it and found the majority of my blasted Hammer DVDs are copy protected!

I'm a total n00b at this shit, I'll see if I can't find some program to circumvent it, but it'll be a little while longer...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
jack_the_knife

I thought you guys would be interested in this.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
Man In Room 5

Thanks! Believe it or not, I've never done a torrent....mainly because I don't DL movies. I've been meaning to get into it but I've been swamped with too much other stuff. I still hope to find and post a Hammer blog here or UL my own movies once I get a free minute.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #23
BaronBarker

I always really enjoyed the hammer dracula movies I always liked Christopher Lee playing him I always liked the frankenstein movies from that era liked how it was always a different monster.
BaronBarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #24
schmungo

I hope i am allowed to post here,please remove if not.
I am a great fan of all Hammer Horror films,and old horror films in general.
I have a little horror movie site,and here you can watch almost all of the Hammer Collection of films,but they are not the best of picture quality.
If you would like to come and see then check out my little site http://horrorclassics.lefora.com/forum/
schmungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #25
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobel black View Post
Are you familiar with Roger Corman's Poe adaptations? (most of them star Vincent Price) A Hammer fan should love them. I also highly recommend Bava's Black Sunday.
Most definitely. They make for highly enjoyable viewing.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote