Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
viscus

Israeli security shoot MacBook

Quote:
Then they asked me to wait. Since they had asked for friends and families phone numbers I assumed they might be calling to verify my answers to questions or confirm I really had extended family in Tel Aviv. An announcement played over the sound system, interrupting my break in the sunshine. First in Hebrew, then Arabic, then in English. It was something along the lines of, ” do not to be alarmed by gunshots because the Israeli security needs to blow up suspicious passanger luggage.”

I went inside to check on my bag. I had left it unattended, where they instructed. It was still there so I went back outside.

Moments later a man came outside and introduced himself as the manager on duty. And then, “I’m sorry but we had to blow up your laptop.“
Full Story

It's definitely not the worst thing Israelis with guns have done to anyone, but what exactly is the point of pumping three rounds into someone's laptop? Not the proper way to deal with a suspected bomb, I would think.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Still Jack

I don't dig why a religion deserves a country anyway. It's like giving a country to people who are big fans of bbq ribs.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Not Tha Duckman

Thumbs up

I can't blame them, I've wanted to shoot a few Macs in my time.
Not Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
I don't dig why a religion deserves a country anyway. It's like giving a country to people who are big fans of bbq ribs.
Yeah, but remember when Sizzler took those six-million fans of BBQ ribs, and had them arrested, stripped of their property, forced into work camps, starved, and then systematically executed with the intent of ridding the earth of people who loved Chili's baby back ribs (BBQ sauce)?

I remember. It totally wreaked the 2004 McRib for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Still Jack

Yeah, granted, but if we're going by that logic, we can give seals their own country too. Fuck that.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Despanan

Seals aren't people.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
JCC

There were five instances of mass immigration to the area that would become Israel to escape antisemitic attacks in the few decades preceding the Second World War, to the point where that area was almost totally Jewish. After Hitler decided he wanted to systematically exterminate Jews, the Jews were just like "Aight fuck this, we've been asking for a homeland for like fifty years and now we feel like we deserve it" so it was given to them. I mean, you have to understand that historically, Jews have been fucked over worse than any other ethnic group, and the formation of Israel was very important in aiding Jews in migration and legitimising Judaism and the freedom to practice.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Still Jack

Ok, bad example. Going by that logic we could give countries to jehovah's Witness, Poles, homosexuals, Slavs, gypsies, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped, trade unionists, communists, anarchists and political dissidents in general.

why do the Jews deserve a country more than the others.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Still Jack

I can understand that it was very important in that it gave Jews the freedom to practice Judaism. I just feel that it's the illegitimate bureaucratic child of the British empire and the Judaism, kind of buttfucking the Palestinians in the Process.
Also the way the Israelis have been treating the Palestinians seems to be a tad hypocritical. "We were placed in ghetto's and persecuted, so let's go to our stolen country, and then bulldoze the homes of innocent people". Yeah that makes sense...
Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
JCC

The actions of the current Israeli administration don't make Zionism any less legitimate. I mean, it's a difficult issue, but the formation of Israel was necessary, in my view.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Still Jack

I agree with concept of Zionism, I however do not agree with the oppression of other people to achieve it. And I find it largely hypocritical of Israelis to want a country and freedom from persecution and oppression, and then go and do exactly that. For me that absolutely revokes all legitimacy in the country, as it's basically replacing what they were trying to fight against.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Despanan

Jack,

Lets say, you were brutally beaten by one of your roommates, to the point where you were nearly killed. Lets say all your other roommates watched it happen, and did nothing, some even egged him on. He went to jail, served his time, and was released, supposedly "reformed". The other roommates say they're sorry, but still mumble about wanting to kick your ass under their breath.

For your own safety, the superintendent moved you into another apartment. There was already a tenant in there, but they had no other space, so they asked him to move over, and gave you half the apartment. You tried to get along with him, and just asked to be left alone, but lets say, as soon as the super left, the other roommate got his friends and attacked you for "stealing his space". Lets say, you'd had enough and you'd fought them off. You'd love to go somewhere else, but there was nowhere else to go, and even though you'd beat them, they still hung around, flexed at you, and talked about killing you in your sleep.

Don't you think you'd be an overreacting dick as well? I
Quote:
Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
Cosmicgaunt

Israel's will get it's just deserts eventually.
/thread
Cosmicgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Jack,

Lets say, you were brutally beaten by one of your roommates, to the point where you were nearly killed. Lets say all your other roommates watched it happen, and did nothing, some even egged him on. He went to jail, served his time, and was released, supposedly "reformed". The other roommates say they're sorry, but still mumble about wanting to kick your ass under their breath.

For your own safety, the superintendent moved you into another apartment. There was already a tenant in there, but they had no other space, so they asked him to move over, and gave you half the apartment. You tried to get along with him, and just asked to be left alone, but lets say, as soon as the super left, the other roommate got his friends and attacked you for "stealing his space". Lets say, you'd had enough and you'd fought them off. You'd love to go somewhere else, but there was nowhere else to go, and even though you'd beat them, they still hung around, flexed at you, and talked about killing you in your sleep.

Don't you think you'd be an overreacting dick as well? I

I can understand that, but bulldozing peoples homes isn't exactly going to make people NOT kill you in you sleep. It's not really the most endearing act I can come up with. I mean, like, actually making an effort to live with other people would be a start, instead of going "They don't like us, BULLDOOOZZEAAAAA BAAAWWWWW!!!" They could say "Well, let's get to the root of the problem why they don't like us and see if we can actually life in peace without having to stick a ten foot wall 'round the outside of our country"

I can see what you'd mean by your example, but then that would be me vs. people that want to kill me. But I don't represent a population of 7,5 million people or a world religion.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
Despanan

I highly doubt the Israelis ran into their new country screaming "AWWE YEAH! Let's bulldoze us some GODDAMN HIZOUSES up in heah!"

Never the less, I'm not arguing that the Israelis have been shining examples of humanity. Bitches done some fucked up shit.

However, comparing what is quite possibly the most persecuted group of people on the planet to rib enthusiasts isn't going to help the peace process.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #16
Still Jack

I'm quite fond of mocking religious groups, and I don't think it would be fair to not include them in my repertoire. But I do actually agree that it's not going to help the peace process...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #17
Apathy's_Child

Yeah, let's keep it productive, people. The Palestinians are counting on the people of gnet to broker a peace deal.

I'm with Jack on this one - doesn't have to be about Zionism in itself, so much as the way the Israeli government have exercised their power. It's really no surprise the Palestinians think they're the devil's spawn. It's no longer just about whether the Jews deserved a place to go - it's what they've done with it since then that has Palestinians lining up to fuck with their shit.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #18
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Actually I'm guessing they didn't shoot it with a gun but rather with some sort of focused explosion which is used by bomb disposal experts to target a specific vital portion of a bomb in order to disable it. If you look at the holes in the laptop they seem to be a bit too big to be from bullets.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
Still Jack

Depends on what calibre they shot it with. If they used an assault rifle, those should be pretty acceptable holes.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Yeah, let's keep it productive, people. The Palestinians are counting on the people of gnet to broker a peace deal.
Fair enough.

However, I do think Jack's "Ribs" argument is indicative of a prevailing attitude among young liberals, ie: the tendency to write off the Jews claim to a homeland as unjust due to a gross oversimplification of the situation.

Also, claiming that the Jews do not deserve a homeland because of "X" is, by definition, about Zionism. Whether it is due to the actions of their government today, or because you don't like the idea of an religious/ethnic group having their own homeland.

It's also important to note that time and again It has been Israel extending the olive branch to the Palestinians and time and again, the Palestinian leadership has rejected it (despite widespread support on both sides for a two-state solution):

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
In July 2000, U.S. President Bill Clinton convened a peace summit between Palestinian President Yasser Arafat and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak. Barak reportedly offered the Palestinian leader approximately 95% of the West Bank and Gaza Strip, as well as Palestinian sovereignty over East Jerusalem...President Arafat rejected this offer. President Clinton reportedly requested that President Arafat make a counter-offer, but he proposed none. No tenable solution was crafted which would satisfy both Israeli and Palestinian demands, even under intense U.S. pressure. Clinton blamed Arafat for the failure of the Camp David Summit.
And, if the current actions of Israel negate their right to a state, then the Palestinians have also lost their right to a state in which case, I suppose the solution is to nuke them both until there's nothing left but glass.
Quote:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
Still Jack

Actually, Nuking both of them seems like a fun prospect. Or just give Palestine lots of guns, it's not like Israel don't have a thriving weapons industry.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #22
Corpsey

While I have some sympathy for both sides, I would just like to point out that initially the Israelis weren't bulldozing houses, they were going into camps and shooting the crap out of Nomadic camps and committing terrorist acts in order to speed up the process of the Palestinians moving out of the area, and shooting at the British defence forces while doing so.

I would like to see a single other ethnic group try this under the nose of the U.N. and see how they react.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
Despanan

Can I see a source on that Corpsey? I find it hard to believe.
Quote:
Old 12-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Yeah, granted, but if we're going by that logic, we can give seals their own country too. Fuck that.
Wow, Jack. That was such a masterful implementation of syllogistic reasoning that I lost my balance and the beach ball fell off my nose. Will you-- will you shake my flipper?
An ethnic homeland, or a lack thereof, is at the core of what it means to be a Jew. Our culture defines us, and we are largely conceived by others, not as a group united in a similar trait, but as a people-- a people from somewhere. I won't pretend to trace the numberless sources of antisemitism to a single factor, but, in modern history, hatred of Jews has manifested in much the same way as that of, for instance, Mexicans manifests in contemporary America: "You don't belong here. You're messing up the way things are supposed to be. Go home." Until the foundation of Israel, we were eternal exiles, the unwanted children of a ghost nation. Although I'm still staggered beyond expression that you were able to not only cogitate this remark, by contrast with which xjin's past indiscretions seem like Invisible Man, but actually render it in words while maintaining that you don't oppose Zionism, the sad truth of the matter is that, for a long time, pinnipeds had it better than the Jewish people. If, in 1933, you dove into Artic waters and started fucking with Leopard Seals, you'd get what was coming to you. The same couldn't be said with regard to us.
Only a brazenly partisan douchebag would assert one side of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict to be unequivocally in the 'right'. Both governments have conducted themselves shamefully, as have certain members of both civilian populations. Consider, though, how swiftly the people of the United States might be condemned were one allowed only our country's foreign policy as enacted in the last ten years by which to judge. Most Israelis, as well as most Palestinians, do favor a two-state solution. The situation is complicated, and I am not apologizing for Israel, but the humanitarian records of fledging states in hostile territory are rarely spotless-- this country, in my opinion, hasn't forfeited its right to exist.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #25
Not Tha Duckman

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney King View Post
Can't we all just get along?
Jewish chicks are hot.
Not Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote