Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Staircase_Complex

Here's the Fuse. Do you have a match?

Hi, there.

I'm Christine.

I've always been weary of message boards and I didn't intend to join this one (though, it's by far the prettiest and most curious) until I saw the thread to all the newbies from Empty Purple Stars. I can get along marvelously in a place that promises to immediately string you up with a barbed wire bow for stupidity.

The purpose of me is writing. I love it, hate it, want to quit every day, and know that I would die before midnight if I did. All I need is a notebook, a bic (the pen -- not the razor) and some Placebo on the music box. I'm working on a gothic/horror/fantasy novel, which I plan to finish before my birthday. I believe its taboo to talk about your book before its done but I don't mind giving a skeletal run down of the story if anyone wants to know. I also enjoy writing short stories and essays (no poetry) but I rarely complete them. Naturally, my biggest fear is showing my writing to other people.

I love to read. I remember the first books I ever read were the Care Bear series, big, shiny volumes that came in every color of the rainbow. The one about Sleepy Bear was my favorite. Now my tastes run more to Poppy Z. Brite, Brent Easton Ellis, Ann Rice...yeah, yeah, you know the rest. I love stories that make you ache, you know? I just read Alabaster by Caitlin R. Kiernan, she's wonderful, I was smitten from the first paragraph.

There isn't much of a scene here that I know of, one or two goth clubs and some high school hot topic zombies, even the libraries are woefully short of horror/gothic fiction...and anything else that isn't Christian oriented. This isn't a Mormon state but it's just as dead. Every day I feel my brain get a little squishier from lack of stimulation while I fight off urges to buy useless crap from IKEA -- yeah, that's the local entertainment.

I'll be starting college again full time in January (Liberal Arts major until I make up my mind) but until then my life revolves around saving money, quitting smoking and the already mentioned obsessions. I'm hoping to find others who share my passions, or can, at the very least, point me towards some new reading material. Hell, I'd love to meet anyone who has SOME passion; just a conviction or two that stemmed outside of the NHL, trucks or going to the Upper Peninsula.

I don't have any pictures, web sites (unless you count a barren live journal) and my cell phone doesn't have a relationship with my computer. I used to get into free form role-playing on-line but then it started getting ridiculous and the writing standard took a considerable nose dive, so I quit.

I'd like to die by bursting into flames under the full moon. I would just willfully combust into a white and purple fire so hot there wouldn't be any ashes left for the wind to play with. So no need for a coffin or pretty outfit, but I'd bring Absinth (my blue-gray kitty) along for the show.

I look forward to meeting you all.
Staircase_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
DarkHeartedDemoness

I don't think that Empty_Purple_Stars posts here anymore. I was looking through old posts and there was something about her getting banned? I'm not exactly sure...

...Anyway, I love her set of For The Newbies rules, too, so I hope that even if she's gone the mentality remains.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Yes, Empty_Purple_Stars got banned because some morons banned her.

I like you, welcome to the site doll.

I like your choice of music, Placebo is good.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
Staircase_Complex

It's a shame she isn't here, I'd thank her if I could.

Placebo is my chocolate. They just...get me there. When I need to shut away the world, slide into something decadent and forget how much it sucks to be me -- I listen to Placebo.

It's a pleasure to meet both of you.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:21 AM   #5
angel011

I hope you don't want Absinth to get hurt when you burst into flames.

You seem interesting. Welcome.

New reading material? Have you read Sunshine by Robin McKinley? Or anything by Chuck Palahniuk?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
DarkHeartedDemoness

Ooh, anything by Robin McKinley's wonderful, if you like fairy tales re-told.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 10-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #7
Staircase_Complex

I'm sure if I bought her along she'd just watch from a distance chewing on a field mouse. She'd finally have the bed all to herself.

I've read Fight Club, Diary, Survivor, Choke, Lullaby and I just finished Haunted, which I enjoyed immensely despite the fact I was told it wasn't that great.

I've never read anything by Robin McKinley...are the stories anything like Wicked or Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister (Gregory Maguire)?

Both of you have awesome quotes.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
angel011

I love your cat already.

I haven't read anything by Gregory Maguire, so I can't compare, and Sunshine is the only McKinley's novel I've read. Sunshine is not a fairy tale, it's vampire fiction, but more original and more interesting than the most.

Have you read Guts by Chuck Palahniuk? If you haven't, and have the stomach for it, you can find it here: http://www.seizureandy.com/stuff/guts.html

Oh, and I also recommend everything by Neil Gaiman.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
PersephoneX

i love Neil Gaiman...his nvels are GREAT and his graphic novels make me swoon!!!

anyway, to our new acquaintance...welcome to the zoo....
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
BATANGEL

hi! Looking forward to getting to know you and hopefully reading some of your writings, am insanely jealous of those who can write, who have that driving obession, i cant keep my mind still enough!!!!
BATANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
PersephoneX

ah...an ADD sea-monkey like me, ay?
i usually keep a book with me, so when the moment comes and a good idea is there, i write it down...you'll wind up with a whole lot of crud, but rifine it and you'll be surprised what you find!
but painting's always been more of my thing, in any case...

hope you're enjoying yourself here.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
BATANGEL

I'll try that, i do have a fantastic imagination but it totally dries up when i try to write it down and then i get distracted by something else. i constantly count things, bricks, windows, i can never keep still, i start loads of projects and never finnish them and have episodes of mania but i always manage to keep it under control, no one i work with would ever know how bad i sometimes get..............
BATANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
DarkHeartedDemoness

Has anyone seen SC since her first day?
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson