Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #51
raggedyanne

Semi-veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedarklord
Earth takes us in awhile as transient guests;
we live by our habit of eating, which we must unlearn.
That's cool

I'm sorta semi-veggie; I don't eat mammals. Haven't for about a year & 1/2. It's mostly for health reasons, I'm 15 lbs above my target weight, but also because i don't agree with the way americans treat their mammals/livestock. Y'know, improper housing and food that contains meat for animals that are supposed to be herbivores. I'd like to go completely veggie, but I can't give up fish and I still live with my parents so we've comprimised to allow chicken.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #52
Crying_Crimson_Tears

That's exactly how I am!!! Exactly to the point. I agrred to eat chicken and fish. But when I move out one day, I want to become a full vegetarian. And I also disagree with how people treat their livestock, it makes me sick. I can't think of eating animals when they were treated only led to their death and then to end up in my stomach. Makes me want to hurl sometimes.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #53
Rizash

Eh... I'm weird... I hate how we treat/kill livestock (esp. the fact we dub them "inferior"). And dont eat meat, but I do drink lots of milk and once in a while I eat bacon... the only meat I eat. Strange that, since pigs are the closest genetic relative to humans ... as far as livestock are concerned. (yes, that was poking fun/trying to be humorous... c'mon its a goth forum cannibalism has to be poked at once in a while-- though seriously pigs are very closely related to us... they're even trying to genetic engineer pigs with human organs for transplants... and the question of weather meat from these animals would still be sold is still up in the air)

At any rate... I think about the animal that gave its life every time I do eat bacon. I think it makes me a better person for concidering what most people shrug off or deny a claim to life as "inferior" just so they can get food they enjoy the taste of.

Of course... being a man of science... we are omnivores... and are natural hunters.... so its not like there is anything wrong with eating meat... its just perverse the way we abuse and neglect animals... and the way we devalue their lives simply for profit or food. I dont care what people eat... just respect animals, thats all I ask!
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 AM   #54
LostAndCrazy

Well I think cannibalism could be a viable alternative to killing and consuming animals. It would also control the growth rate of the Human species. =P
LostAndCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #55
Crying_Crimson_Tears

The idea of cannibalism makes me sick. But so does eating animals. I mean yeah, I do eat chicken and sometimes bacon now. And I eat eggs and drink a ton of milk. But for some reason I do not consider eating eggs or drinking milk a bad thing if they are organic. Cows need to be milked, and chickens, they have to lay their eggs. But for some reason it just makes me sick to think of eating a human, so eating an animal to me is no different.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #56
LostAndCrazy

We are all animals, and all the other species of animals are far more deserving of this planet than we are. My comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else.

Thank you for that last sentence in the above post.

I must stress that I would not consider eating a human being although I dont think twice about eating poultry or meat. Its a social taboo is all it is that makes me/us abhor such an idea.

Like you said, we are all animals, something I agree with completely. However, I'd be a hypocrite if I were to say I wouldnt ever do it and I'd rather be called a cannibal than a hypocrite.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #57
Godslayer Jillian

I must say I've always loved Swift's solution for overpopulation and poverty.
If third world countries did sell their babies to be eaten, they would earn some good money.
The problem would be that maybe they would reproduce even more to sell even more.
Moral issues?
It's only sick when society thinks it's sick. Just study all the sexual freedoms of Ancient Greece to understand how the moral view of people changes with society.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #58
Rizash

Godslayer... dont even have to go that far back to see weird stuff, look at the Japanese reguards to prostitution, etc.... To us its weird to them its normal. From a certain perspective nothing humans do is weird, it is our nature. For some reason we're driven to define good and bad on everything we do. To be honest its probably the one reason we fight so much.
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:16 PM   #59
BLEED REBELION!!!

i was a vegitarian till i was ... 10 or 11.now i eat meat but only chicken , turkey shrimp and crab. ive considered going back to no meat mostly for health reasons i dont think there is any thing wrong with eating meat (but i think that the way some animals are treated b4 they are made into food is foul keeping little baby cows in boxes) just realize that another life form died to feed u b thankfull.
the meat i do eat comes fron the health food store it makes me feel gross to think of all the hormones and other things pumped into animals and to then put that into ur body. icky
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #60
LostAndCrazy

Now my eyes are definitely bleeding.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #61
Crying_Crimson_Tears

That is very true though. We do find things disgusting that society says is gross. Think about it, if no one had questioned cannibalism, then it would be fine in the world. But still, there is a fine line between murder and cannibalism. But we murder animals every day as well. Maybe one day though, society will evolve and we will not care one way or the other.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #62
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndCrazy
Now my eyes are definitely bleeding.
mine too......my head hurts...

i was a vegetarian for almost 5 months, but i cant process plant protein well enough to stop eating meat. i got really sick, and now i have to eat meat. but i dont like eating it.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #63
BLEED REBELION!!!

why must u make fun of my posts?
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #64
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Bleed: It would help your cause if you could express yourself clearly, and to do that, you must write clearly. Otherwise, your challenged grammar distracts from what you are trying to say.

This community is a well read, highly developed one, with above average intelligence (I can only keep up with them because of the brute strength of long experience, which is still no match for natural analytical ability). To reach this audience requires disciplined communication skills.

I hope you take my advice in the kind manner in which it is intended. The best of luck to you.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #65
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Humane has a very good point. But no worries, we do not hate you because of this. We just like the English language not to be butchered if possible.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #66
elizabeths_deathwish

Let's see, I've been vegetarian for a good 2 years now. My parents are avid meat-eaters though & my stepdad hates the whole concept. ANYWAY! I do cook alot of the meals at my house, so I will cook meat but prefer not to eat it. I don't drink milk, it makes me sick. So I guess you could say I'm vegetarian for both ethical and health reasons.
elizabeths_deathwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #67
Circle V

The only meat that my mother eats is poultry (though the amount is slowly dwindling down to nothing) and seafood. Her reasons are ethical, I suppose-- while she doesn't care if anyone else eats meat, she can't stand to eat anything more intelligent than a cow. She has no problem with leather.

I don't eat much red meat or pork because of this, but I don't mind much. I enjoy steaks and hamburgers occasionally, but I'm content to eat them only at restaurants. I do, however, wear a lot of leather. I have an all-leather messenger bag, and most of my belts and shoes are leather.

I've always thought that the best way to make eating meat 'fair' for the animals would be to kill them yourself with your teeth-- just like nature intended.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #68
owlx

Humm. I've been a vegetarian for over three years, though for about a year of that (first 6 months or so, and currently) I have eaten fish for health reasons.

I agree with that last statement above...I have no real problem with hunters, fishermen, or the like. If you get your own food, that's respectable (and more healthy) because you are there for the whole process. People would never eat meat if they saw what happens in slaughterhouses and meat-packing plants.

I *also* do wear leather. I like leather, what can I say? I know it's the same thing as eating meat...I don't deny that it's hypocritical. But as long as I keep my beliefs and eating habits to myself, my vegetarianism is more of a minor personal choice, not something around which my entire life revolves.
owlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #69
Godslayer Jillian

But following the logic of getting our own food, we shouldn't eat vegetables unless they're from our own garden.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #70
nuksaa

I am a carnivore, I have worked in a slaughterhouse, and I love eating nearly all veggies. I do not see any error to may eating habits except the occasional fast food eating.

I am always perplexed by the holier-than-thou type who treat their eating habits as a moral code or religion. A close friend of mine was a vegetarian. His reason was due to the fact he grew up in a household without many meat dinners so he really wasn't jazzed about the taste of meat and preferred vegetables. I can understand that reason.

I always wonder about those who state the cruelty these animals face. My grandparents have a ranch. The cows wander back an forth eating the grass and such. When winter arrives, they would break out the hay from storage ensuring the cows are well fed. The cows were also vaccinated, defended against wild animals (such a coyotes), water was brought to them, and types of food similar to candy are fed to them in order to make them pack on the weight. From my personal observation, I would say the animals used for meat production are well treated and pampered. Cows used for milk are also well treated. However, the chickens used for egg production are not treated very well as they are locked into a cage to confine movement as they lay.

I also scratch my head at the notion of eating meat being immoral. Is not yanking a carrot out of the ground ending a life? What about cutting down that tree for building material? Just because a tree doesn't have those beady little eyes to look at you makes their life different? I also ask what would we do if the whole world were to become vegan or vegetarian? We would have to slaughter nearly all of these domesticated animals. They couldn't survive on their own and many have been gentically changed from their original species by thousand of years of breeding.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #71
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I don't like the way some fast food restaurants inject horomones into the animals to save money. It causes them to grow more limbs and such. That, makes me sick. But I am now just not eating red meat. I just don't like it. And white meat is leaner and healthier. But otherwise, veggies and fruits to me just taste better.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #72
Ictum

Can sum up my religion in one short statement:

I love meat.
Ictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 AM   #73
GirlsNotMe

I've totally already covered my view of vegitarianism as being ridiculous (especially for atheists) in another thread so I won't bother to re-paste it unless it is necessary.

Darwinism. DARWINISM.

It is all good and jolly to love animals and pet them and care about their feelings, but kids, when you come right down to it, they ARE inferior. The human race wins, we claim the spoils. That's how it works.

Period.
GirlsNotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #74
honeythorn

I am slowly cutting meat out of my diet. I really don't like the taste of red meats, and I don't like the way chickens and poultry are treated on most farms.I don't eat any fish, I don't like it. Besides, I keep fish myself, and they definitley have personalities.

I would love to have a house with some land next to it, in which I could at least keep a few hens ( as pets ) and obtain my own eggs. My gran used to have a few chickens that were very tame. One of them used to sit on her lap and lay an egg! She had to sit there for ages until the shell had hardened

I have no problem with hunting for your own food as long as you only take what is actually required/needed. I think that if, for example, you kill a rabbit, you should kill it as quickly as physically possible, and use as much of the animal as possible. If something has to die for your gain and appetite, I think that at least you should do it the honour of not wasting it's carcass. After all, very very little is wasted in nature when an animal is kiled by a predator.

I have been given the argument by some that, if we are descended from monkeys/apes, then we do not need meat, as they don't eat it, and that our canines were originally for display only. I had to put them right on that count, as I have seen footage of chimpanzees killing smaller monkeys and eating them. They chased a little colobus ( I think ) monkey through the trees until they had it cornered, and then proceeded to tear it apart whilst it was still alive and screaming. I can't remember if it was on Natural world or David Attenborough, but anyway, all they could say to that was " yea whatever ". HA!.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #75
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I have problems with people who hunt just for fun and don't use the meat. I think that's sick and there should be some law against it. Killing animals should not be a sport. As killing humans for fun is illegal.

I couldn't eat Bambi anyways.

-Zach Galifianakis