Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #151
Ishkabibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
I’ve heard that people that stop eating meat begin to smell different. Not like stinky, but different. Is it true?
In my case, only when there's meat or chicken cooking somewhere it seems to have a horrific smell.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #152
Ishkabibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
What if the animal is being used to test drugs or any new medical procedure that could save millions of animals (including humans) lives?
And yes medicine is a product
I suppose that does have a profitable outcome. But just using the animals to test cosmetics on, is simply cruel.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #153
Saddiction

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/?GT1=9951
Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #154
Ishkabibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
Wow. That couple probably didn't know much about baby nuturing. Feeding a baby off from a vegan diet is probably the worst decision they made. Poor little lad.

I wonder if they talked to a pediatrician about the baby's diet...I suppose not.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #155
Mir

I was not being a preachy carnivore.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #156
heretoday_gonetomorrow

I've only been a vegetarian for a year now, but the transition was easy, never ate much meat in the first place. I love it, I feel more energetic when I eat veggies. I hardly ever cook, but my mom has been buying me packages of tofu lately. I'll cook that to eat with whatever my mom makes for supper, it's funny to see the looks on my family's faces when I get them to try some.
heretoday_gonetomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #157
Vako

I love tofu. It's a good substitute of meat. It's especially good with spices.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #158
Ishkabibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
I love tofu. It's a good substitute of meat. It's especially good with spices.
Absolutely. I love that stuff, you can mix it with almost any spice and it'll taste pretty good.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #159
eternalcrimson

The thing about tofu is the way most Americans prepare it is horrible. In general it’s over prepared and I think Tofu tastes best when it is simple.

I love it Korean style in a boiling hot pot with red pepper spices. I also love Mabo Tofu (There is a vegetarian version of this dish that’s really good.).

And my favorite, the way tofu should be eaten Straight out of the refrigerator with green onions and soy sauce. It’s authentic and good.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #160
ArtificialOne

I think generally cutting down on what you eat gives you tons more energy. Most people don't know that consuming large amounts of food especially soda basically puts you into a diabetic coma because your body can't process all that sugar so fast. I've cut my eating by about 2/3's and am amazed how much better I feel. I was a major junk food candy fiend with drinking soda in huge excess. Not anymore, or eating after dinner. I've lost 15lbs in about a month. I've been doing a little exercise and taking good hikes everyday with a small pack I put 15lbs of wieghts in to make it interesting. Now that I'm eating better, I can't believe how inundated with food commercials and restuarants and just plane junk there is to eat out there. I still eat meat, but I'm eating better. And shal soon reach or surpass <I will surpass> my goal of a 20lb reduction in my fat *ss....lol

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #161
Ishkabibble

Yes! It's amazing how in a single show you see around 20 commercials of JUNK food.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #162
ArtificialOne

Yeah, I turn down, mute or change the channel now on the tv or radio when I hear food advertised. I find it helps, especially when I'm so hungry I could go all cannibal.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #163
Seraphynth

I originally became vegetarian for humane reasons, but...after being vegetarian for two years, well.
I can't say I have any political stance on it much anymore. I just like being vegetarian, and I just like eating only vegetables (and synthetically made products o: ).
Ryan (my boyfriend) eats mostly meat (also broccoli, onions, pasta and cookies...but mostly meat). When ever he takes me out to dinner I get to have his salad and veggies. xD But he does like to steal my tofu and veggie sushi. He likes them a lot. :]
I'm amazed how he can eat his steaks still bleeding though. Ick. I'm so grossed out that I'm fascinated and have to watch him chew his bloody cow muscle ('cause I don't think it's really steak if it's not cooked O_o ).
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #164
Paigeybobert

Well, I used to be a vegetarian, for three years actually. I just was influenced by Darlene on Roseanne. Yeah, it was pathetic.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #165
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishkabibble
In my case, only when there's meat or chicken cooking somewhere it seems to have a horrific smell.
Ugh, the smell of meat in preparing... I usually stay clear of the kitchen when my mother prepares food for herself and my brother. And I gladly walk the longer way to avoid passing junk food restaurants, because the stench from those make me want to puke.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #166
JCC

You guys are screwing up the food chain.

That aside, my sister is a vegetarian (and also disregards the food chain). If you live in the UK, there's a brand called Quorn that make vegetarian everything, and even I like them (but feel guilty for messing up the food chain afterwards). Bramley apple sausages, mm.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #167
Drake Dun

The food chain is a natural phenomenon, not a moral law. You don't need to feel guilty for "messing up" the food chain, anymore than you should feel guilty for putting a lightning rod on your house (thereby cheating the lightning of its natural pattern of blasting the fuck out of your roof) or using a condom (thereby cheating the sex act of its natural habit of resulting in pregnancy).

Almost none of the animal products that you consume are anything that would have been available to your primitive ancestors, anyway.

Hopefully that takes a load off. Useless guilt is... well, useless.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #168
Drake Dun

Here's an interesting example of the peculiarities that surround our opinions on animals and the exploitation of them for our benefit or pleasure.

javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2007/05/24/murphy.one.lucky.cat.wkyc','2009/05/23');

Now obviously, there is an extra issue here to the extent we see the cat as someone's property. But damage to that property qua property should not disturb us any more than, say, if some kid smashed your mailbox with a baseball bat.

I notice that CNN commentators do not throw a fit when somebody puts an arrow into a wild deer just because they get a kick out of it, or uses a pneumatic gun to punch a hole through the head of a cow... or ten thousand of them. Why is that?

Drake
Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #169
Cyntrox

We already fucked up natural selection, so I guess the food chain is not a big deal, eh?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #170
Drake Dun

Hmm... I can't figure out how to get a link to that video. It's the one presently accessible from the CNN front page about the cat getting shot with an arrow.

Drake
Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #171
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
We already fucked up natural selection, so I guess the food chain is not a big deal, eh?
Precisely. We do not owe some bizarre kind of blood debt to our historical origins as a species.

Drake
Old 06-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #172
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
This sounds like an asshole statement, but I believe that if you do not have the stomach to kill and dress something, then you shouldn't eat it. If you cannot deal with how your food is prepped, then how can you eat it?

I was raised on a small farm and was party and hand to the slaughter and the preparation of animals as a food source. From egg to cow. It is gruesome, hard, and sometimes heartwrenching work. I will not say that it was painless for the animals, but we were also not a corporation with profit on the brain. I did not eat meat for a long time after college after hearing about conditions of animals raised on larger company farms, but slowly came back with free range and local meat producers.

I have as much issue with preachy carnivores as I do with preachy vegetarians/vegans. I think it's nice to be in the first world where we can choose what we want to eat instead of eating whatever is given to us or isn't rancid. Hell, it's nice to be well off enough to make these choices.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. we need to think of pig as a living breathing animal that died so we could live, not bacon. i also think we waste way too much of the animal. why don't we eat chicken livers?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #173
Ishkabibble

Funny thing, we don't see human meat being sold in the stores when it is the softest meat you can find.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #174
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
One thing I don't really understand is Christian vegitarians, specificly due to the fact that it says in the bible that animals were put on this earth to serve humans. Are these the same people who as child were told about pet heaven?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #175
dark_dragon_of_ice

I love chicken.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote