Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
in.the.moon

Taxes

Anyone has any experiences concerning taxes? Doing them online, how to get the most money, pay less, blah blah?

Has anyone had an audit? Done them with turbotax?
This is the first year that I will be doing them...
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Solumina

Jake likes turbotax, I used to always just do them myself and never would have bothered with buying something but since he already has it I gave it a try last year. I liked being able to easily compare how things would work out if we filed separately or jointly and doing everything online instead of messing with paper forms.

Taxes really aren't that hard (unless you have extra stuff going on like a lot of investments, business expenses, or make a lot of charitable deductions), and the IRS isn't that mean. We actually forgot to claim a couple of savings bonds that we cashed in and all that happened was that they sent us a letter saying that our claimed income didn't match their records and that we owed $XX.xx in taxes, there were no fees or interest charged unless we waited until after a certain date (which was a fairly generous amount of time but I don't remember exactly how much) and there was a clear and easy way to dispute their claims if you felt that the error was on their part.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Saya

I just go to H&R block since its cheap for students and they pay for any fuck ups that might happen.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
in.the.moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Jake likes turbotax, I used to always just do them myself and never would have bothered with buying something but since he already has it I gave it a try last year. I liked being able to easily compare how things would work out if we filed separately or jointly and doing everything online instead of messing with paper forms.

Taxes really aren't that hard (unless you have extra stuff going on like a lot of investments, business expenses, or make a lot of charitable deductions), and the IRS isn't that mean. We actually forgot to claim a couple of savings bonds that we cashed in and all that happened was that they sent us a letter saying that our claimed income didn't match their records and that we owed $XX.xx in taxes, there were no fees or interest charged unless we waited until after a certain date (which was a fairly generous amount of time but I don't remember exactly how much) and there was a clear and easy way to dispute their claims if you felt that the error was on their part.
I'm scared that I mess up and I don't get as much back, I've heard that my boyfriend should 'claim' the baby since he has been here (US) longer that me. I don't really know much >.<
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Solumina

Well with turbo tax you can try it both ways to see what kind of a difference it makes as it lets you go through everything and lets you change stuff before you actually submit anything but if you are really worried about it then take all of your stuff to a tax professional. H&R Block or Liberty are both pretty cheap and reputable. I honestly don't know anything about how children and/or child care costs work when it comes to taxes.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Saya

And if you go to H&R Block or Liberty, call ahead and find out what you can claim. They're pretty awesome at letting you know what you can claim, so when you go in you'll have all the information they need.

And as far as I would know if you're not doing taxes together as a couple, then both parents would claim the kid as a dependant, wouldn't they?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Kasdeja

I usually go to HR Block because I can't do math to save my life. It's worth the cost.

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote