Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
AngelikDemonik

Dr. Death runs for congress!

...in MY state.

Assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian, who spent eight years in prison for second-degree murder, says he's running for Congress.

Kevorkian, who will be 80 years old in May, picked up petitions from the Oakland County Clerk's Office on Tuesday to run as a candidate with no party affiliation.

"I plan to," Kevorkian said Tuesday afternoon. "I wouldn't do this otherwise. We need some honesty and sincerity instead of corrupt government in Washington."

Kevorkian said he would have more to say about his candidacy next week. "Everything's in a formative stage," he said.

Kevorkian, a Pontiac native now living in south Oakland County, will have to gather a minimum of 3,000 signatures on nominating petitions by July 17 to appear as an independent on the November ballot, the Michigan Secretary of State's office said.

He lives in the 9th Congressional District. The seat is held by eightterm incumbent U.S. Rep. Joe Knollenberg, R-Bloomfield Hills. Democrats currently filed to run include former Michigan Lottery Commissioner Gary Peters.

The district encompasses Oakland, Bloomfield and West Bloomfield townships; parts of Orion and Waterford townships; the cities of Farmington, Farmington Hills, Orchard Lake, Keego Harbor, Sylvan Lake, Pontiac, Auburn Hills, Rochester Hills, Rochester, Troy, Clawson, Royal Oak, Berkley, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and Lake Angelus; and the villages of Franklin, Bingham Farms and Beverly Hills.

Michigan law doesn't prevent Kevorkian from running for office, or from voting, now that he's been released from prison.

Kevorkian was sentenced to 10 to 25 years for seconddegree murder April 13, 1999, for the assisted suicide death of Thomas Youk, which he filmed and which was broadcast on national TV.

He was paroled June 1 last year and remains on parole until June 1, 2009, according to the Michigan Department of Corrections.

Oakland County Prosecutor Dave Gorcyca, whose office was responsible for sending Kevorkian to prison, was dismissive of Kevorkian's candidacy.

"I would place Jack Kevorkian's candidacy in the same ranking with (Texas U.S. Rep.) Ron Paul's (presidential run)," Gorcyca said.

"It's probably more of a publicity stunt. To call attention to himself is standard protocol for Jack when he doesn't have the limelight focused on him. I would not consider his candidacy to be a legitimate one."

A Kevorkian candidacy, however, is likely to draw more attention to what is already expected to be one of the more closely contested congressional races in the country.

National Democrats targeted the district this election after Knollenberg won re-election in 2006 with 51.5 percent of the vote.

Knollenberg spokesman Mike Brownfield said the congressman has no immediate comment.

"Everybody has the right to run," Peters spokeswoman Julie Petrick said. "Right now, Gary is focused on bringing real change to Oakland County.

"Knollenberg has heaped mountains of debt on our children, disastrous trade policies that have destroyed our manufacturing sector, and gotten us into a protracted war with no end in sight. It's time for real change in Oakland County and that's what we're focused on."

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stori...80312356.shtml

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
ArtificialOne

HA! Got to love the US!

I love the people who say abortion is ok, but you don't have a right to die once you're born...

Damn humans!!

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Tea and Cake or Death

WOW! This is just a little nuts. In a land where former wrestlers, Austrian actors, and Sonny Bonno were put in charge, why not?
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
IsolatedReptile

If I knew more about his political views and less of his notoriety, I'd consider voting for him.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
acidxrainbows

I agree with IsolatedReptile, if he has cool views on other issues I'd TOTALLY vote for him. He's right about a corrupt Washington, all right. Anyways, I agree with assisted suicide in some cases, so...eh.
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Hmm does he support free suicide for idiots? if so he would have my vote if I only lived in Michigan. I do have an uncle who lives there so could somone find out if he supports free suicide for idiots?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
HA! Got to love the US!

I love the people who say abortion is ok, but you don't have a right to die once you're born...

Damn humans!!
I think that is someone is suffering from a terimnal illness (cancer, last stages of AIDS, etc), the most humane thing that can be done is "putting the person down". It's a lot better than putting them into a drug induced haze for the remainder of their life.

Although, if any of those people really wanted to take their lives, I'm sure they more than likely can make a nice lethal cocktail from all of the painkillers mixed with other meds to do the job, instead of probably having to go through their insurance company or pay out the ass for such a procedure.

I wouldn't want to see people suffering from depression choose that route, though...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
I think that is someone is suffering from a terimnal illness (cancer, last stages of AIDS, etc), the most humane thing that can be done is "putting the person down". It's a lot better than putting them into a drug induced haze for the remainder of their life.

Although, if any of those people really wanted to take their lives, I'm sure they more than likely can make a nice lethal cocktail from all of the painkillers mixed with other meds to do the job, instead of probably having to go through their insurance company or pay out the ass for such a procedure.

I wouldn't want to see people suffering from depression choose that route, though...
I agree with you entirely, though unfortunately pain killers aren't always available to these people. They'd be forced to resort to the the methods everyone else has to use and that is inhumane if you ask me.

On the same note though, saying "putting them down" just does not sit right.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
I agree with you entirely, though unfortunately pain killers aren't always available to these people. They'd be forced to resort to the the methods everyone else has to use and that is inhumane if you ask me.

On the same note though, saying "putting them down" just does not sit right.

Yeah, you're definately right. Humane euthanization is a better way to put it.

I could be wrong, but I think even with that route (in terms of people on death row), they still have to be given strong pain-killers because the injection they get causes respiratory arrest (I think), which I could only imagine being very painful.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Yeah, you're definately right. Humane euthanization is a better way to put it.

I could be wrong, but I think even with that route (in terms of people on death row), they still have to be given strong pain-killers because the injection they get causes respiratory arrest (I think), which I could only imagine being very painful.
While I have never heard that, I would not believe it to not be true.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
Wormboy

It is. The injection is three parts, and one of those is a painkiller.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
weiwei

Angry 新加的空白文章1

这是新加的空白文章1,可以在UBB可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。
weiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Rorschach Twin

He's running Independent... he's not going anywhere.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
Barfing_Rat

Damn... If it was in my area, I'd run toward the nearest voting booth like a fat virgin running after a frosted pussy.

Who care what his view is. He probably will just fight like hell for assistant suicide more than anything else.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #15
badteccy

My only qualm would be that he's very old, how long would he last nah mean?
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
defg441

Unhappy 新加的空白文章61

这是新加的空白文章61,可以在UBB可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。
defg441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Serephurus

Emo Paradise!
Serephurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
AngelikDemonik

This guy is at the same place, same time, everyday in a really yuppie/trendy city near me, asking people to sign some petition to allow him to run...or something like that. I have yet to run into him, myself...

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #19
Toy Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephurus
Emo Paradise!
Not quite, he only assists terminally Ill patients...
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #20
Lapin

Am I the only one who hears "Assisted suicide", and thinks "It's really none of my business"?

I've never understood why it's illegal when there are several precautionaries that can be taken to make sure there are no pressures being put upon the person.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote