Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
chelseagirl

Thumbs down The abysmal lack of good parenting in today's society rant

So, taking public transportation as much as I do (DC metro), almost every day I see an example of extremely poor parenting. Maybe I don't really have the right to complain so much seeing I don't have children yet, but I would like to think that when I do, I will be able to teach them manners, respect for people, etc, or at least try my darndest. Today, as I was getting off the metro and walking out of the station, I walked past a mother and her 6 or 7 year old daugher who were sitting on a bench. The little girl jumped up and ran beside me and says very loudly, "eeewww, you're NASTY!" (probably pertaining to my tattoos and hair I guess). Her mother bursts out laughing. I turned to the little girl and said, "well, you have some nasty manners". I didn't yell, I spoke in a normal tone, albeit maybe a little condescending. Her mother jumps up, pushes me, gets up in my face and yells "don't talk to my daugher like that you nasty F'n b**ch, I'm going to kick your f'n ass". Luckily, there was a metro cop right there who ran over and stopped it before it escalated any further. This poor little girl doesn't have much of a chance of growing up to be a good person having a mother that sets an example like that for her. That's it, that's my rant. I'm just so sick of people having children and raising them up to be complete sh*ts.
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Virulent Dryad

I think there's already a post about this somewhere. Anyway, some people are rude. If that child doesn't learn through discipline as a child, she'll learn it as an adult. It's something she can never avoid and learning it later will be a lot harder. Feel joy in knowing that what life has in store for her is everything she deserves.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Disfunction

Such is life. It's sad in some respects, but true, and while it would be nice to be able to live in an ideal society where pople are well-acquainted with morality and manners (not any specific morality or manner, but a more general sense or at least appreciation of that society's rule-set would be nice) it can't really be expected.

Sad, but true.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Virulent Dryad

You can always move to Japan or something if it really bothers you.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Old 05-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Disfunction

They have another sort of poor parenting over there.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Virulent Dryad

Ah well, go to hell then.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Disfunction

I plan to; all the best music seems to.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
Twisted Ducky

Bad parenting should be a crime.

The poster child for 'My parents really suck at raising me' is this rat-faced little idiot who grinds my nerves into rock. He does NOT talk, he SCREAMS. I'm about ready smack his little mis-behaving behind.

Then theres all of the rest of the childeren that deeply resemble varios rodents with there furture already written in stone. 'Trailer park with four kids, a pregnate wife, and the bar 6AM to 3AM'
Sad...
Twisted Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Virulent Dryad

There'd be a fuck load of people in jail for that one. Let's face it, every parent could be consider bad depending on who you ask. Name your cliche, we're all either hugged too much or too little as children.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
romanticsuicide

I agree that poor parenting is awful, but the awfulness of it has levels. There's the rude people, then the scumbags who abandon their children. Then there's the people who physically, emotionally, or sexually abuse their children. Those people that fall under the last category are awful. The rest need help, yes, but it's better in the long run to abandon your kids than to abuse them. Trust me.
romanticsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:44 AM   #11
sparklekittie

I have learned that examples of bad parenting are everywhere. It's best to just ignore them, let that internalized rage boil dry...I know I can't change anything.
I have to put up with 3 of them (brothers) on the bus every morning, and one of them is friends with my cousin and it disgusts me because my cousin is a lovely, sweet boy and this friend of his is the most vile child you could ever meet. He is violent, crude, rude, disrespectful, too loud, obnoxious, and a hazard to society (I can actually imagine him bringing a gun to school and shooting people).
But what can we do? Nothing.
sparklekittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I have had a really good example of bad parenting. My mother is a shithead. But then there's my dad who loves me and cares about me. But when it comes to parenting there should be a balance of bad and good. I mean if a parent doesn't screw up then there's something wrong there. I think that all parents should have the balance of bad and good. I dunno though, I'm not exactly a parent but I know that when I get to be one (if I ever do) I will raise my kids with manners and respect and they will never ever do drugs.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #13
Tanzanari

I think everyone uses their parents as an example of what they don't want to do as parents, but I think we all will or have already come up with new ways to fuck up our kids. I do think that chelseagirl has a point though, in noting that kids are rude little monsters.
If I'd been rude to someone as a child, I would have gotten smacked. I'm all for parents letting their children express themselves, but there is a difference between self-expression and being a nasty little beast.
Tanzanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
Delkaetre

I have a lovely way of avoiding being called a bad parent- not having children.
Perhaps we can find some way of training parents and children to respect others?
eg-"If your child screams, runs around a lot, or bothers the other patrons, then you and your child will be asked to leave the restaurant."
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
She_Is_My_Sin

Ugh, there are these little brats around the corner from me are the perfect example of the result of bad parenting. They have no respect for people, animals or anything. In general they're foul, disrespectable, vicious, racist little thugs. In their mother's eyes they're the perfect little angels. It's disgusting & in my personal beliefs if people won't raise their children with manners or skills to be well tempered human beings, don't deserve to look after their children.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
Ben Lahnger

I blame our permissive society. The generation that is raising kids today is used to getting everything handed to them, and they are teaching their children to expect it.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote