Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #101
Alan

He wants a world in which we're more alienated from top-to-down decisions which affect our lives than we already are.
That's.... scary.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #102
Despanan

I don't see how that could possibly go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #103
alchemie

Sarah Palin looks like a brown haired barbie doll. Someone I know said that awhile back.

It is obvious that she has no idea what the word, "Rogue" means.
alchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #104
PortraitOfSanity

She doesn't stand for that "education and smartness" nonsense. What a rogue.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #105
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Okay, so you're suggesting that we make it so, we can't see them, we can't hear them, and they can't communicate with us on any level other than listing off their names and policies?
No, calm down, you're remind me of one of those jumpy little dogs that bark at you when you walk by.

What I'm saying is that most of the population will vote for who looks prettier and who can talk more convincingly, what I'm trying to do is find a way to make that impossible, because, even if you don't like it, stupid people get to vote as well. Now that I think about it, radio would be a great way to do this assuming they didn't just go off about some irrelevent shit like what 'mamma' always said.

I'm just tired of politicians being celebrities. I know for a fact that a few people I know of voted for Obama strictly because he was black(half way, anyway), and younger than Mccain. Even though I support Obama, I wanted to smack them.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #106
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
I'm just tired of politicians being celebrities. I know for a fact that a few people I know of voted for Obama strictly because he was black(half way, anyway), and younger than Mccain. Even though I support Obama, I wanted to smack them.
Obama presented a set of reasonable policies and came across as charismatic and informed. Since he seemed like such a strong candidate, there's absolutely nothing wrong with factoring his race into the vote; it was an important moment in highlighting the progress of African-Americans. If he had been using Mussolini's face in his campaign or suggesting that we nuke Iran then I could understand your anger at racially motivated voting, but Obama was a promising candidate anyway, so voting for him mainly because of the gravity of electing an African-American into office wasn't a terrible thing.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #107
Despanan

I'm not a dog. I'm a big cat. I've just been bored lately.

But I will level with you here, What you are suggesting is, in a nutshell, the total removal of the human element from political elections.

Look, you can't control how a politician appeals to people. You can yell "OMG HACKS!" but to actually place legislation which would prevent voters from knowing their ethnicity/religion/region and the like would have disastrous consequences on the process. Leadership isn't simply about policy and implimentation, it's about inspiration and unification behind a common goal.

People are always going to vote for stupid reasons and regulation is not a tonic against this.

What does help, is Education and information management. Making sure your candidate gets the right message out to enough people who are smart enough to see through the bullshit the other side is spinning. This is the best way to limit the impact of stupidity and prejudice on the system.

You can be tired, and fed up with the way people behave, but laws aren't going to change anything. Similarly Amunet can be outraged with how the electoral process is handled, but her removing herself from that process will only encourage it to continue the way that it has.
Quote:
Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #108
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
I'm not a dog. I'm a big cat. I've just been bored lately.

But I will level with you here, What you are suggesting is, in a nutshell, the total removal of the human element from political elections.

Look, you can't control how a politician appeals to people. You can yell "OMG HACKS!" but to actually place legislation which would prevent voters from knowing their ethnicity/religion/region and the like would have disastrous consequences on the process. Leadership isn't simply about policy and implimentation, it's about inspiration and unification behind a common goal.

People are always going to vote for stupid reasons and regulation is not a tonic against this.

What does help, is Education and information management. Making sure your candidate gets the right message out to enough people who are smart enough to see through the bullshit the other side is spinning. This is the best way to limit the impact of stupidity and prejudice on the system.

You can be tired, and fed up with the way people behave, but laws aren't going to change anything. Similarly Amunet can be outraged with how the electoral process is handled, but her removing herself from that process will only encourage it to continue the way that it has.

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
John Quincy Adams

Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote.
William E. Simon
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #109
Amunet

Quote:
January 29th, 2010

Ms. Amunet
1 Debatable Way
Isle of Retort, MA 01615
Applicant #000-69x50 <----ELLLLL-OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH-EEEEEEEEELLLLLL!

RE: RE: Letter of Decline received January 28th, 2010

Dear Ms. Amunet

Thank you so much for your inquiry, and your continued interest in our "Verbally Bitchslapped Into Submission" program here at D.B.S.Y.W.V.A.D.E.Y.H.D. State. Normally, we cannot comment directly on individual applications, however, I am a bit embarrassed to admit that due to a clerical error, it seems that you have been mistakenly issued a rejection notice. While it is still true that we do not have room in our distinguished program at this time, your application was originally intended to be placed onto our "waiting list" cue, and if a spot does open up in the near future, we will most certainly extend an invitation to you as an incoming freshman.

On a personal note, I can sincerely say that I am very interested in your belief that by abstaining from voting, you have somehow entered a vote of "no confidence" in the United States government. This is the kind of fucktarded stupidity that we look for in future candidates at D.B.S.Y.W.V.A.D.E.Y.H.D. I applaud you for rationalizing your own laziness as a political stance, as if your absence was in some way an active protest, and not, simply an invitation for everyone in power to ignore your desires and the value you hold dear. In Robert's Rules of Order, an abstention does not remove one's voice from the debate at hand, rather it lends that voice to whichever way the majority happens to vote. Similarly, this is how your own actions are interpreted by those in power: "Do what you want, I don't care".

However, This alone would not be enough to gain you a chance at admission. What I find to be particularly exciting about your work is your callously air-headed approach to our complex political system. Sweeping generalizations based on nothing more than lazy prejudices such as:

quotes

When all of these claims are easily dis-proven, by simply looking out the goddamn door and witnessing a functioning first-world nation filled with organized social programs, sanitation, and civil right and free speech legislation. If all of what you say about the nature of humans and politicians is true, we would be living in the dark ages. There would be no sanitation, there would be no school, there would be no class mobility or pell-grants, because all of these wonderful things the government does lead to a loss of control by the governing body.

If all one cares about is "personal gain, power, money, authority, status" You don't have a bill of rights, you don't create a system in which it is possible to peacefully remove the ruling party, not to mention if all politicians displayed these character traits, and only these character traits, as you have claimed, then Washington and every other world government would be entirely composed of nothing but those suffering from narcissistic anti-social personality disorders-- In short, a world ruled by people who would shiv you and take your stuff as soon as look at you.

The sheer stupidity and paranoia you are displaying is rapidly approaching Deadman level...but this isn't really what makes you a worthy candidate for our V.B.I.S. program. What really pushes this over the edge is the outright hypocracy displayed between the contrasting statements here:

quotes

YOU ADMIT YOU ARE DOING NOTHING. You are actively bending over, and taking it in the ass, like a good little sheep. You're just acting angsty about it because you think somehow having that attitude makes you better than those who choose not to vote because they are lazy, or those who vote for stupid reason. It doesn't. It makes you worse. If you really believed what you said about politics and politicians was true, you'd be sitting in your basement, building a bomb right now. You would be plotting assasinations. You would be working towards a violent overthrow of the US government.

You're not, you're sitting on your ass with a guitar, and photoshopping glamor shots and affecting an air of sullen cynicism like any brooding fifteen year old.

I applaude you for this work- It certainly shows promise. Unfortunately, your grades simply weren't high enough to merit immediate acceptance. You've allowed yourself to be trolled to hell by the likes of Creature6 and you spent most of this thread getting your ass handed to you by PoS and JCC (A distinguished graduate of D.B.S.Y.W.V.A.D.E.Y.H.D.'s I might add) In fact, I suggest you take further classes with him from now on, and apply again in the future.

Many thanks and best of luck,

Despanan
Directing Director of Direct Admission
Admissions Office of Admitting
Despanan-Brutally-Shatters-Your-World-View-and
Destroys-Everything-You-Hold-Dear-State

P.S.

quotes

It's still you.

ok, back to work. Good Morning everyone! (Well it's morning here anyways)

Despanan,

the first subject I will touch on is my abstaining from the voting process.

Ok, maybe you're correct in thinking that by me doing nothing, I'm allowing the system to continue in the same fashion which I claim to hate so much.
That's obvious and logical, however, my whole point is that I do not believe that we as the people of the United States of America have a say any longer. At one point this was a true democracy, at one point, the people did partake in the decisions our government makes. Now, I think the government keeps that illusion going, but honestly, I truly think that the voting process in which the vast majority of this country takes part in, is a waste of time and effort. There are people who make our decisions for us now. What my whole thing is about is the lack of honesty and integrity within our government. It's proven almost daily, because if this were a true democracy, then the outcries of the population would be heard, and there would be solutions not prolonged waiting periods due to whatever "red tape" they claim to have to go through. and yes, this may be another "generalization" in your eyes, but my dear friend, open your eyes, don't tell me you can't see what a corrupt system we are in.
To be frank, I don't want to waste my time or energy on a FAILED system.
They're keeping us out of chaos, but just barely. This country is headed for a revolution, I know it, a lot of people do. I don't want to plan to "BLOW UP" our government. That is just a cliche and it's been proven as failure.

As for sitting on my ass and doing nothing, that's not entirely true, I'm talking about the problems, engaging other people, and not only here on this site. My job is to get people to open their fucking minds, get out of this stupid routine we've all been forced into since CHILDHOOD, and start thinking for ourselves.

IE: Who decided we needed credit to live our lives the "right way" ???
Who decided that healthcare should only be available to those who can afford it???
WHO DECIDED that your race or gender or social standing or education level decided your career aptitude?

We live in an era of NO, and YOU CAN'T when what we need to be hearing is affirmation in ourselves as individuals and as a people, is YES, and YOU CAN.
Our country was founded on the principals of freedom. The definition of freedom to me is having the ability to live without fear, pursuing success but not at the cost of another person(s) livelihood.

Freedom of oppression by those who would try to confine us in a little white picket box.

I am defined by the steps I take in life. One of them is not to waste my time on things that no longer work. If you can't agree with that, then the least you can do is respect my choice.

As for my guitar and pictures, neither one is relative to the topic at hand, they are different parts of me as an individual and someone of your intelligence should know better than to go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what we're discussing.

I know that I am one person, I know that something should be done, however I am patient enough to wait until I know when and how to act in whatever situation arises. I don't need to protest or petition to prove my points, and I would rather not waste energy on something that is not going to reach anything other than deaf ears.

I am a free thinker, I belong to no one, I do not believe our system works, and I don't really know what will work, but something will change, and it will change soon. This isn't about our present politicians, this is about the fact that we have been going in a circle for years and I'm choosing to step out of that circle to observe, and act as necessary.

If you believe this to be a "dangerous" or un-ethical way of life, that's your choice, but then again, you're the one still in the circle.

I'm going to end this discussion here, because I don't really feel the need to explain myself further, if you don't get how I feel now, you never will and that's ok. I've done what I needed to do.

Truly best regards Despanan, thank you for engaging this conversation further.

always,

Amunet
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #110
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
At one point this was a true democracy
No it wasn't.
Quote:
at one point, the people did partake in the decisions our government makes.
No they didn't.
Quote:
Do you spend your energy on pushing forward alternative systems or are you just rationalizing your apathy?
Quote:
As for sitting on my ass and doing nothing, that's not entirely true, I'm talking about the problems, engaging other people, and not only here on this site. My job is to get people to open their fucking minds, get out of this stupid routine we've all been forced into since CHILDHOOD, and start thinking for ourselves.
Oh, cool, so you're a professional whiner. Like Alex Jones.

You're not doing shit, kid. Want to help? Join a fucking union, volunteer at a community center. Host social forums and workshops. Help the green party.
But fucking get over yourself if you believe that you're 'opening people's minds' when you're this immature.
real classy
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #111
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No it wasn't.
No they didn't.
Do you spend your energy on pushing forward alternative systems or are you just rationalizing your apathy?
Oh, cool, so you're a professional whiner. Like Alex Jones.

You're not doing shit, kid. Want to help? Join a fucking union, volunteer at a community center. Host social forums and workshops. Help the green party.
But fucking get over yourself if you believe that you're 'opening people's minds' when you're this immature.
I spend my energy on people, and excuse me for getting pissed off Alan, but I don't believe you know the first thing about me, or that I do volunteer in community areas, and I do things for the betterment of society, so kindly get the fuck off your high horse.
Like you actually know a goddamn thing about me?! Oh and by the way, if being part of a union was an option for me, don't you think I would jump
all over it. Fuck off. Think before you speak, or make judgment calls because your ignorance is pretty fucking apparent after that last statement.

Oh and how do you know that I don't practice in environmental works, or that I am one of the main contributors for a local charity here in Mass, or that I spend every waking moment doing whatever I can to benefit OTHER people instead of caring about my FUCKING HAPPINESS! SO jump off a fucking bridge. It's been a horrible day, and most definitely not the day to make callus, unfounded and just plain FUCKING STUPID comments!
Go kill yourself please.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #112
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet
I'm going to end this discussion here, because I don't really feel the need to explain myself further, if you don't get how I feel now, you never will and that's ok. I've done what I needed to do.
Oh no no no no. Girl, you called down The Thunder; you don't get to call it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
Ok, maybe you're correct in thinking that by me doing nothing, I'm allowing the system to continue in the same fashion which I claim to hate so much.
That's obvious and logical, however, my whole point is that I do not believe that we as the people of the United States of America have a say any longer.
No "maybe" about it. I am correct. Also, your point is stupid, and blatantly untrue. I mean, it's one thing to feel like your vote is just a drop in the bucket in the presidential election...but to argue that the United States is not a democracy. More on this below.

Quote:
At one point this was a true democracy, at one point, the people did partake in the decisions our government makes. Now, I think the government keeps that illusion going, but honestly, I truly think that the voting process in which the vast majority of this country takes part in, is a waste of time and effort. There are people who make our decisions for us now. What my whole thing is about is the lack of honesty and integrity within our government.
Really? And at what "point" was this mythical golden age in which people had a say, and why are things different now?

You know what, I think I see where this is going...

Quote:
It's proven almost daily, because if this were a true democracy, then the outcries of the population would be heard, and there would be solutions not prolonged waiting periods due to whatever "red tape" they claim to have to go through. and yes, this may be another "generalization" in your eyes, but my dear friend, open your eyes, don't tell me you can't see what a corrupt system we are in.
Once again there's no "May be" about it. I am right, and you are wrong. What you have just posted IS the textbook example of a MASSIVE generalization. I mean, you're arguing that because you have not seen unspecified "Solutions" due to an unspecified "public outcry" as proof of our unspecified subjugation, at the hands of our unspecified "government". If that's not a generalization, I don't know what is.

Then you tell me I need to "Open my eyes"...oh please, don't let this be going where I think it's going...

Quote:
They're keeping us out of chaos, but just barely. This country is headed for a revolution, I know it, a lot of people do. I don't want to plan to "BLOW UP" our government. That is just a cliche and it's been proven as failure.
"They're Keeping us out of Chaos, but just barely?" Really? Really? You want to know what chaos is? Jillian just posted about 14 kids getting gunned down by drug cartels in Juarez, where Police are constantly under attack by the gangs, and drug treatment facilities have been cleaned out by armed men with automatic weapons. Headless bodies are found in drainage sewers. THAT'S "Just barely out of Chaos" You've got people in your neighborhood losing their jobs.

You're in what, The North Eastern United States? Arguably one of the wealthiest areas of the strongest nation in the first world. You have no friggin' idea what chaos is.

As for moving towards revolution...we're not. Idiots like Glenn Beck and Alex Jones pretend that we are because that's what gets ratings and votes: The Republican attack machine managed to scare morons like you into compliance (by either voting for them or not voting at all), but we're no where near a revolution, because quite frankly, even at the worst of this depression, things really aren't that bad.

Also, "Blowing things up" is not a clich'e, it's terrorist action. As I said before if you really believed what you say is true, you would be a terrorist, so either you don't believe it, or you're massively lazy, or you're a coward.

Quote:
As for sitting on my ass and doing nothing, that's not entirely true, I'm talking about the problems, engaging other people, and not only here on this site. My job is to get people to open their fucking minds
WHOA...like, OPEN YOUR MIND MAN, as I said before bitching and moaning to other people, whether online or in person is not a political stance. At best it's a smoke-screen that your brain employs so you can justify doing nothing.

Also, from what I can see you don't really have an open mind, and you certainly don't think for yourself. Whether you admit it or not, you're letting the republican attack machine think for you: "Oh God! Everything is going to hell! Welcome to Obama's America! We're all screwed!" You may never vote for them, but they've scared you into not voting, which is just as good. Because of them you, like Deadman, and Vidicatedxjin and every other conspiracy-minded moron in the world twist your mind in on itself until you're locked into an endless loop of stupidity.

Do you even realize how idiotic what you're claiming really is? I mean you actually think that we don't live in a free society, right? That our system has "failed" and that people's votes "Don't matter". That the billions of dollars, and years of work, spent on nationwide political campaigns are, on every level, an elaborate smoke-screen to hide the fact that a shadowy group of cynical white men sit around deciding our fate.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to run a political campaign? Do you have any idea how many people would have to be involved, on such an elaborate fucking coverup. We're talking MILLIONS of people, all intentionally lying and devoting their lives to that lie so that a bunch of sociopathic white guys in washington can get rich. That's insane. That is not the thinking of a rational person. Honestly, this mindset makes it seem like You are suffering from some young person's variant on "Mean World Syndrome"

Quote:
We live in an era of NO, and YOU CAN'T when what we need to be hearing is affirmation in ourselves as individuals and as a people, is YES, and YOU CAN. Our country was founded on the principals of freedom. The definition of freedom to me is having the ability to live without fear, pursuing success but not at the cost of another person(s) livelihood.
I'm starting to figure out where you're coming from here. You're fucking scared. You're young, clearly you don't have your finances in order, most likely you're not very educated, and you're something of an artist which means you're not going to be happy taking a drone job. I get it. I'm the same way. It's a scary process moving into adulthood particularly if you're not taking the conventional approach. However, instead of "standing up and accepting responsibility" you're allowing your brain to twist the world around you into a sinister place, set up to make you fail, by forces beyond your control.

ie:
Quote:
Freedom of oppression by those who would try to confine us in a little white picket box...I would rather not waste energy on something that is not going to reach anything other than deaf ears.
Quote:
One of them is not to waste my time on things that no longer work. If you can't agree with that, then the least you can do is respect my choice.
I will never respect you choice, because your choice is to waste your time on fantasies. To waste your potential as a human being. To live in convoluted ignorance because you are too cowardly to face reality for what it is, and your cowardice will endanger my life and my livelyhood because you have allowed yourself to be scared into inaction by the fearmongers and have become a tool for their political gain.

Like it or not, the world is not a flowers and crayons kindergarten fantasy where all points of view are correct, and all ways of looking at the world are opinion. You choice is based upon laziness, faulty evidence, poor reasoning, and fear. It is wrong. There is no way around this.
Quote:
As for my guitar and pictures, neither one is relative to the topic at hand...
As I was pointing out that you are a hypocrite, it has everything to do with the discussion at hand. I have no problem with you playing a guitar, and your pictures look good. Hell, I'm an artist myself. However, if I thought like you do, that we are living in a secret dictatorship, on the edge of chaos, controlled by drooling psychopaths who "milk us like cattle" I would probably see such activities as more than a little frivolous and self-indulgent, given the situation.

Quote:
I am a free thinker...If you believe this to be a "dangerous" or un-ethical way of life, that's your choice, but then again, you're the one still in the circle.
No, you're not. You're a sheep, you're just a sheep that's managed to convince itself that it's gotten outside of the pen, by ignoring the man with the shears. As long as you continue to think this way you will be a waste of a human being, and a tool of the finks and fearmongers.

Think about it. Open your mind. It's going to be hard, but if you do, you'll be glad you did, and you'll stop actively fucking me over.

And that concludes our first lesson.

-Despanan
Quote:
Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #113
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
John Quincy Adams

Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote.
William E. Simon
Joker + + tencharacters
Quote:
Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #114
Amunet

The thing is, I'm not parroting this stuff. I was never raised in a dominant party, I was raised to have my own opinions. I rarely watch the news or campaigns or anything of that nature anymore. Maybe I am overly paranoid, but to me, that's what saves my mind from outside corruption and influence. I don't trust anyone but myself to take care of me and the people I care about. They use my money that I work for, to do what?! I pay my taxes like a good American, in fact I don't usually complain but I've had it. If ever I do turn on the news or read the paper, no matter what, the state of our country is like a bomb going off in my face. I just read what Jill posted about Mexico. That stuff happens here too. I live in New England, and hey its prob rich in some places, but sure as hell not where I live. You can't trust the law (police, lawyers, judges) and I KNOW this for a fact because I was in Law Enforcement personally. I mean where I live now, they had just another couple cases (cliche cop shit) where the cops were stealing, and using excessive force, and taking drugs and putting them back on the streets.. blah blah blah sounds like the norm right?

This is what ticks me off the most, all of the behavior exhibited by our "authority" figures has become accepted by society as the norm, and its normal. Everyone I know lives in fear all the time, fear of living their lives the way they want to, intead of what has been deemed appropriate for them.

Yes I am afraid sometimes when I can't see a clear path in front of me, I'd be lying if that weren't the truth, but I don't want fear to debilitate me from living and loving my life.

Every person has the right to be happy, to live without trauma of loss of their lives whether it be financially, emotionally, or physically, but everyone is stuck in this "fear" because that's the only way they know how to live.

I don't have people just losing their jobs, and mind you, this isn't the only place I've lived, and I don't need to be physically present in a place to know and understand some one else's trials, to feel sorrow for them. It breaks my heart to see the bullshit that we all put up with just to be fucking successful.
Life has nothing to do with success. It's about learning, and being open to others. Helping, caring, understanding. Love.
But we're too busy focusing on all this bullshit around us, that we have no time left to live.

The country I want to live in, and more importantly, the world I want to be a part of, is one that people stop using their crutches, of peace (not just physical) but peace of mind. There is so much good in the world, but it's constantly overlooked by all of these negative things that are made to be more important than they really are.

I guess we will differ for now in our views Despanan. I just want to love my life, and help other people love theirs, and that is my main priority.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #115
Despanan

It doesn't matter if you're parroting or not, you're still a tool, and the opinions, be they your own or otherwise are still wrong.

We don't differ in our views, in fact I think we hold similar values as to what's important. As I've mentioned, I'm an artist too, I feel the calling that you feel and I have the same views.

Where we differ, is that you seem to be refusing to accept the world for how it truly is. Your paranoia, (which you admit you have) is not a virtue. It does not protect you. It's tempting to think that but all it does is twist your perceptions and cause you to behave irrationally.

I mean look at your posts, every thing that you have cited as evidence in this argument is little more than an emotional appeal to stereotypes. You are emotionally responding to the political environment, and you are allowing your fear to twist your mind in on itself.

Despite your intentions and values, when you do this, you hurt yourself, you hurt your career, you hurt me, and you help people like George Bush, you play right into the hands of people like Carl Rove.

We are living at a very key time in America. The public has been anesthetized for YEARS. Post-Vietnam through Nixon and Reagan and Bush and Bush again, we grew soft and fat and complacent. The W. Bush years allowed the republicans to play the politics of fear and kept the democrats neutered and gutless, so much so that the liberals who did have balls ended up going off the deep end, and embracing ridiculous, radical politics (Like Anarchism) which will never be implemented and thus, turning their unintentional support to the republicans, and one year ago, the Americans said "Fuck it", took the first step against that fear, and put things in place for some meaningful change.

Now the republicans are screaming, they're playing the politics of fear, and The Right is screaming into your ears and you are playing right into their hands.

I have lost friends to paranoia. I know it when I see it, and judging by your posts, you know it too. I think you know that your stance doesn't make sense, and I think you know that your world-view is twisted.

Now I have been (as I promised) increadibly brutal with you, and I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I would never talk to someone like this IRL, however, that doesn't make what I'm saying untrue. And I will be dammed if I see another person from my generation choose apathy without raising a din. You have stuck your head in the sand. Despite all your values, and all your intentions, that's where you are, and that's where you will remain until you grow up. Unless you find the strength to un-knot your mind and see the world how it really is, accept it, and change it, you will remain an oxygen thief, and you will remain a tool to be used and discarded b y the finks and the charlatans and the other wastes of humanity.

I hope you can pull this off, because you know what? Things aren't that bad. You're still white, and first-world, and you have opportunities that people in Haiti will never enjoy. You have power, Does this mean you can you change the world at your own whim? No. Are things going to be easy? No. But at least you'll be part of the solution and not part of the problem, and at the very least please stop trying to convince others to adopt, you're insane fucking political world view.

Anyway, I hope for the best for you, but it's not going to happen unless you change something profound within yourself.

Good luck, and until you do, I will continue to take you to task for every bit of bullshit I see come out of you.l
Quote:
Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #116
Ben Lahnger

Holy crap Amunet, you spew out more sweeping generalizations that Deadman, and until I read this thread I would have thought that impossible.

Like the idea that all cops are corrupt. I know that to be false. You meant most cops are corrupt? I also know that to be false. My ex was a deputy sheriff for a while. Are some cops corrupt? Yes. As some politicians and priests and doctors and CEO's and engineers are corrupt. Here and in other countries around the world. But that's an aspect of human nature in general. In my experience you can check any subset of humankind and find a sizable minority of them would be engaged in immoral and unethical behavior. But it is a minority. The broad brush you've painted all law enforcement officers with, well it's insulting and they don't deserve that kind of disrespect.

I'm not going to try to address all that B.S. you laid out. Others might feel up to it. But I post a couple of quick-hit thoughts.

One: Your assertion that you refuse to take in information from the news or campaigns so you can't be corrupted or influenced is just disappointing. You can choose to take in information from a variety of sources, and then weight that data out. You sift out the extremist views and then have info that lets you decide what you need to be active about. Otherwise you're no better than an ostrich with it's head in the sand. Despanan is right about this just being lazy.

Two: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
In the recent Massachusetts Senatorial election, a republican took the historically democratic seat in a move that suprised analysts. But it wasn't republicans that put him in office. It was a small minority of active, independent people who made that happen. I site this not because it heralds a new dawn for one political party. Analysts are now saying that both parties are concerned that there is an educated, motivated group of independent voters who are making it increasingly difficult for incumbents of either party to hold on to their position.

A minority of informed, independent voters are making an impact. And other things are happening around the country. Houston just became the first major U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor. Change is in the wind. There are ... possibilities.

Be part of the change you want. Or do not participate, but then don't brag about your ignorance and apathy.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #117
Amunet

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you're parroting or not, you're sti

Now the republicans are screaming, they're playing the politics of fear, and The Right is screaming into your ears and you are playing right into their hands.

Now I have been (as I promised) increadibly brutal with you, and I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I would never talk to someone like this IRL, however, that doesn't make what I'm saying untrue. And I will be dammed if I see another person from my generation choose apathy without raising a din. You have stuck your head in the sand. Despite all your values, and all your intentions, that's where you are, and that's where you will remain until you grow up. Unless you find the strength to un-knot your mind and see the world how it really is, accept it, and change it, you will remain an oxygen thief, and you will remain a tool to be used and discarded b y the finks and the charlatans and the other wastes of humanity.

I hope you can pull this off, because you know what? Things aren't that bad. You're still white, and first-world, and you have opportunities that people in Haiti will never enjoy. You have power, Does this mean you can you change the world at your own whim? No. Are things going to be easy? No. But at least you'll be part of the solution and not part of the problem, and at the very least please stop trying to convince others to adopt, you're insane fucking political world view.

Anyway, I hope for the best for you, but it's not going to happen unless you change something profound within yourself.

Good luck, and until you do, I will continue to take you to task for every bit of bullshit I see come out of you.l
You haven't hurt my feelings. Thank you for being honest with me, as brutal as it's been. Some of your comments stung a bit, and if it makes you feel any better, your remarks haven't gone unheard. I'm sure I have a lot of growing to do, things to learn, and I expect to swallow my pride on more than several occasions. For now, I need to get my priorities straight, and like I said, the people around me and in my life are very important to me, so I will start there, and work on me as I go along.

Thanks again, until next time....

Amunet
Old 02-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #118
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Holy crap Amunet, you spew out more sweeping generalizations that Deadman, and until I read this thread I would have thought that impossible.

Like the idea that all cops are corrupt. I know that to be false. You meant most cops are corrupt? I also know that to be false. My ex was a deputy sheriff for a while. Are some cops corrupt? Yes. As some politicians and priests and doctors and CEO's and engineers are corrupt. Here and in other countries around the world. But that's an aspect of human nature in general. In my experience you can check any subset of humankind and find a sizable minority of them would be engaged in immoral and unethical behavior. But it is a minority. The broad brush you've painted all law enforcement officers with, well it's insulting and they don't deserve that kind of disrespect.

I'm not going to try to address all that B.S. you laid out. Others might feel up to it. But I post a couple of quick-hit thoughts.

One: Your assertion that you refuse to take in information from the news or campaigns so you can't be corrupted or influenced is just disappointing. You can choose to take in information from a variety of sources, and then weight that data out. You sift out the extremist views and then have info that lets you decide what you need to be active about. Otherwise you're no better than an ostrich with it's head in the sand. Despanan is right about this just being lazy.

Two: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
In the recent Massachusetts Senatorial election, a republican took the historically democratic seat in a move that suprised analysts. But it wasn't republicans that put him in office. It was a small minority of active, independent people who made that happen. I site this not because it heralds a new dawn for one political party. Analysts are now saying that both parties are concerned that there is an educated, motivated group of independent voters who are making it increasingly difficult for incumbents of either party to hold on to their position.

A minority of informed, independent voters are making an impact. And other things are happening around the country. Houston just became the first major U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor. Change is in the wind. There are ... possibilities.

Be part of the change you want. Or do not participate, but then don't brag about your ignorance and apathy.
I didn't say all cops Ben... I was a cop, I know for a fact not all cops are corrupt. Most cops actually are. I am an avid LEO supporter, but not when they have ill intentions about their careers. You can't know until you do it yourself.

as for everything else, just read what I wrote to despanan. I'm going home.... goodnight
Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #119
Solumina

Most of your ire seems directed at the federal level of government. My advice is to get involved on the local level. It is actually pretty remarkable what red tape they have to put up with (red tape that is set up so that people cannot abuse their power) and it is surprising how much public input helps to move things along. Above all else the actions of local government are the ones that most affect your daily life so if you want proof that citizen input matters then at least look into your local government. Just don't make them FoIA everything or else all of the staff aids will hate you because a lot of time gets eaten up that way and, in my experience, people abuse it fairly often.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #120
Alan

HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE HER OF NOT PARTICIPATING IN HER LOCAL GOVERNMENT?!!! YOU DON'T KNOW HER! GET OFF YOUR GODDAMN HIGH HORSE!

Am I right, Amunet? I find it so revealing that you didn't actually tell us what you reall do, but rather you only bitched about me assuming you don't do anything. I am also amused at the fact that you didn't even address my calling on your bullshit bluff that America was once a perfect democracy. You rather went to a bitch fit in which you only blamed me for assuming too much about you, and not about (and this is important) being wrong about you.
real classy
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #121
Despanan

Heel Alan.

She's had enough for now. No point in berating her further. If she says something else that's dumb, go for it, but I think she's gotten the point. Lets all just go flame Deadman that's always fun.
Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #122
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE HER OF NOT PARTICIPATING IN HER LOCAL GOVERNMENT?!!! YOU DON'T KNOW HER! GET OFF YOUR GODDAMN HIGH HORSE!

Am I right, Amunet? I find it so revealing that you didn't actually tell us what you reall do, but rather you only bitched about me assuming you don't do anything. I am also amused at the fact that you didn't even address my calling on your bullshit bluff that America was once a perfect democracy. You rather went to a bitch fit in which you only blamed me for assuming too much about you, and not about (and this is important) being wrong about you.
Sigh.....

Alan,

I helped found and volunteer for a national based program that helps kids who have the desire to join service type careers, it's called the "Explorer's" program... and the one I helped found is in the NH area called the "Explorer University" which is a college like program in a para-military environment that lasts a weekend but usually takes a year to plan out. It's held annually in the fall. I've been with them since the first year 5 years ago.

I also helped with a local MA charity that my label put together to fight and fundraise for three organizations, with a compilation album, and all sales will completely benefit these organizations. They are:
The Immune Deficiency Fund, The National Ataxia Foundation, & The United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation

Check them out and donate if you feel like contributing.

My label "RMR Music" is the site for this compilation called "Project Cure"
One of our artists, Hope Rising, is the main founder of this compilation along with the RMR label owner, Mark Eshbaugh and she started this program because she has had to live every day of her life with children that suffer the diseases she fights so hard against.

As for environmentally, in my home I try to use energy efficient lighting, recycle, reusable bags, I do whatever I can on a small level, help clean up, etc... I may not be the green party poster girl, but with what I can afford to do, I do.

I'm tired of this pissing contest Alan. I have nothing left to say to you. Just that you should be careful in assuming that someone does nothing when you have no basis for truth in that statement, so to avoid looking like an asshole, keep that opinion to yourself.

and I'm sorry for blowing up at you yesterday, I shouldn't have said some of those things, I let my emotion get the best of me. So I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings or ego or whatever for speaking out of line.

Thanks.

Also, Solumina, I would like to try to get involved again in local politics, I used to write the meeting minutes for the Town Selectmen a few years ago, and I didn't like it back then because there was a lot of abuse of power, but I'm in a big city now so I'm sure it's different, less bs stuff here. I don't know. Thank you for the suggestion.

in conclusion...
I may not do everything that I could possibly do, but not for lack of trying, I'm human, I make mistakes, I'm wholly willing to admit them or to try something different. My experiences thus far have not been anything less than disheartening in the political field.
We'll see what the future brings.

Amunet.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #123
PortraitOfSanity

Have you ever heard the expression "digging yourself a hole" Amunet?

You're way below the intelligence level required to stand a chance in a debate with Despanen.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #124
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Have you ever heard the expression "digging yourself a hole" Amunet?

You're way below the intelligence level required to stand a chance in a debate with Despanen.
did you even think to read what he last wrote.... probably not, seeing as we already ended our discussion. get over it. he doesn't need you to vouch for him.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #125
blindNsect

Kissarse!!
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote