Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
~Nix Nightingale~

I need help please....

Ok... I recently got married in December, but my husband and I will not be having our ceremony until December 2006. I am looking for a specific style of dress but I have no idea what it's called or how to begin looking.

You know the part in Interview with a Vampire, where Louie and LeStat are with the two french girls? They kill one and then throw the other into the coffee table which doubles as a coffin? The dress she was wearing is the style I want, but I have no idea what to search for it under or what exact time period that was.

Please could someone help? I'm tired of lloking through dozens of dresses that I don't care for.

<3
I broke myself, shattered, tied a bow around every piece, you'll love the eyes. Have they always shown so vacantly? The more I show the less you'll want to know. I can't stop the insects that are feeding, pull the needles from beneath my skin.... ~ A Fire Inside ~
~Nix Nightingale~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
cannibalnuns

That would be pretty hot. I approve!
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nix Nightingale~
Ok... I recently got married in December, but my husband and I will not be having our ceremony until December 2006. I am looking for a specific style of dress but I have no idea what it's called or how to begin looking.

You know the part in Interview with a Vampire, where Louie and LeStat are with the two french girls? They kill one and then throw the other into the coffee table which doubles as a coffin? The dress she was wearing is the style I want, but I have no idea what to search for it under or what exact time period that was.

Please could someone help? I'm tired of lloking through dozens of dresses that I don't care for.

<3
That dress is representative of the Regency era which occured from about 1800 to 1820.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
~Nix Nightingale~

Thanks for the tip Santarea, you are awesome! and OFCOURSE you will get pics!

Nuns, thank you for the approval.... and Horrorgirl you ROCK! i will try searching that criteria and see what i can come up with...
<3
I broke myself, shattered, tied a bow around every piece, you'll love the eyes. Have they always shown so vacantly? The more I show the less you'll want to know. I can't stop the insects that are feeding, pull the needles from beneath my skin.... ~ A Fire Inside ~
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
~Nix Nightingale~

I tried looking for the picture, but I can't find any. I will try again and let you know.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Empty_Purple_Stars

Ok, well I dont know how useful this will be, but here's what I dug up.

This site has pictures and illustrations on Regency period dresses:

http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/ppbrokil.html

This is from the Costumer's Manifesto:

http://www.costumes.org/history/100p...inks.htm#Women

They include specific patterns for making a Regency gown on their site:

http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/petticoat.htm

That is just one of the patterns they have.

Here's another Regency pattern from their site:

http://www.vintageconnection.net/Reg...ndPatterns.htm

There is more at the bottom of that page that takes you to other more detailed patterns.

You can order specific bodice types and patterns from this site:

http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/regency.htm

I really like it the best. Here's a snippet from her site:

# Sizes 6-18 all included in one envelope.
# Illustrated instructions make construction easy!
# Options for long sleeves, short sleeves, undersleeves and wide or narrow skirt.
# Pattern supplement available for ladies sized 18-26 D and DD. (Order using special button.)
# Online Photo Instructions available!
# Yardage Chart also available online, along with supplement yardage chart.
# Photo instructions to make a bodiced petticoat from the Regency Gown pattern!
# Instructions for making a Drop-Front Regency Gown from my pattern!
# Still a bit intimidated? Why not enroll in my online class?

Some pretty informative stuff on there, and it seems very user friendly.

I hope those links provide some useful bits for you Pretty Lady..

Keep us posted on your progress and let me know if you need some more Detective work.

*Grabs your Ass*

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
~Nix Nightingale~

Oooooooooh!

I even got an ass grab! *swoons*

EPS = <3

You are fantastic! Thank you for finding all that info for me love! It all looks great, I will have to find someone who can sew or teach me to do it. I just hope after I get the finished product done, that it doesn't make me look pregnant. :P

Thanks doll I owe you one!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
Empty_Purple_Stars

Not a problem..

Since I'm taking a term off to get my strength back, I have nothing but time on my hands.. Isn't there a bad Eighties song in there somewhere?

Uh..

Rather than trying to sew something that complex yourself the first time out, you could buy the pattern and material and find a local seamstress to do it for you.

Find someone with a VERY small business, their alteration prices are usally a bit more reasonable. Also check with some of the smaller local dry cleaners and see if they have someone on staff that moonlights as a seamstress.

It will be MUCH less stressful for you, if you only have to worry about fittings and not the actual design.

What kind of material are you thinking you want to use?

I'm casting my vote for Royal Purple Velvet..

*Smooch*
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
~Nix Nightingale~

I'm not a fan of purple really, but if it looks nice I'll do it up!

I was going to try to mock the dress exactly from the movie because I really like the way it was done, but first things first... I have to try to find a tailor who will do it. I've nver actually seen a tailor here in the 10 years I've lived here.

Perhaps they are hiding?

Oh, and EPS....
*kisses*

<3
Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #10
mortalitas incomitatus

hon, off the topic completly.......

why so long between the marriage and the actual wedding?

congrats btw.
(i guess i should stop daydreaming bout you now that you're an honest woman)

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #11
~Nix Nightingale~

hahahaha....Thank you sweetie! awwww Mortalitas, that hasn't stopped me from daydreaming about you, EPS, or Santarea!

My husband and I got married for a few different reasons. We knew we loved eachother and wanted to get married but wanted to wait until after college. His Father had other plans....

His Father DESPISES me. He made my husband go back home instead of staying here with me in the hopes that he would forget about me. My husband was going to propose to me when he returned this summer, but his Father made a comment about him never coming back here. He proposed in December before he left so we could marry quickly and have the paper, so if his father forbade him to return, my husband would be bound to me and his Father would have no say in the matter. It comes down to survival of our love and relationship.

<3