Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #126
Sobeh

Re: the similarities between Xianity and various paganisms....

One of my pet peeves is the common assumption that if anyone can come up with similarities between Xianity and another religion then it's the scandal of the millenium, and proves Xianity to be false. There is no such thing as a 'pure' religion. All religions, in all times, in all places, have fed off of and been inspired by religions and philosophies and cultures in surrounding areas. Pointing at the syncretisms in the founding and progress of Xianity with an "Ah-HA!" attitude shows a common, yet still unfortunate, lack of basic knowledge about religion in general.

---
Okay: basically, Lucifer is a Latin translation of a Greek translation of a Hebrew word, while Satan is a Semitic word with various iterations (Hb: Satan, Ab: Shaitan, etc.). Satan might also be another name for Heilil Sheten and other similar names; see I Enoch for the story of fallen angels and such that's been much popularized by New Age works about the Enochian language as well as such movies as Fallen and Konstantine (depicting the Good vs. Evil war taking place on the mortal realm, a theme from Zoroastrian sources). "Devil" comes ultimately from the Greek, "Diabolos"; these different names are best thought of along the lines of "You Backstabbing, Lying, Wankbadger!" They each came into use at different times, for different reasons, and with the purpose of describing or relaying a different feeling, or perhaps the writer was being creative in language use, or they mistranslated a word, or translated a Semitic language into a Romantic language, or.... it's a **HUGE** field. 'What's the difference' takes more than a little bit of reading to properly 'grok'.

New Testament translations: Aramaic was likely the spoken language of the area and time Jesus lived and taught, but we have NO copies of New Testament texts written in Aramaic - the earliest ones are all Greek, which was the language of the Literati of the Roman Empire, and of anyone with an education, Jewish or not (those writers simply knew two or more languages, as did many writers, to varying degrees, which is another reason you see so many different words referring to the same concept or individual, and also the reason translations differ widely, as authors may have used different methods to convey their points).

I could go on, but you get my gist I hope.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #127
Gedio

Quote:
At this point in time, I have come to view his beliefs to be beyond laughable means. He is indeed very self-absorbed and it shows in his bible, in which I think he blatantly teaches his followers to be more selfish and that self-indulgenced.
On the contrary, Crowley was basically portraying the ideal occult mindset. Not to be tied down by absitinance and external morality, but to be true to yourself. Hardly selfish, infatc it's probably mroe fair than anyhting else.

Quote:
a sheep which was, by necessity, killed for food.
If it's killed for food and it's a sacrifice then Sainsbury's sacrifice chickens all the time. Those horrible Luciferians!!!!

Quote:
Here is the nine "laughable" Satanic sins that the man had created:
*Stupidity
*pretentiousness
*solipsism
*self-deceit
*herd conformity
*lack of perspective
*forgetfulness of past orthodoxies
*counterproductive pride
*lack of aesthetics
Explain to me how these are laughable? These qualities listed above are the things people generally despise in others. LeVay has simply put them in a less than subtle manner.

Quote:
According to the bible of Satan, you should only care about those who are worthy of your care.
Indeed. Should you care about those who don't? The man who mugs your grand mother? Or kills your child? Should you care about them and turn the other cheek?

Quote:
These beliefs generally does go against the beliefs in other religions, which may struck other religion believers to be mortified.
Exactly, it's not that there's anyhitng morally wrong with it, it's just different form other people's opinions, somehting which poeple can't handle.

Quote:
Hitler was smart too. Do we have to respect the genious that goes into the planning and executing of the mass murder of an entire religious culture?
Respect the fact that he could execute a plan that nearly sent him into world domination? Yes, and he carries a great deal of respect for his abilities. But this doesn't mean we have to like him ,the man was a complete wanker (and a christian by default in case you're interested).

Quote:
Satanism. Nothing. Not a real mark on this society left by satanists or their leader Anton.
No, but this book did what i beleive it was partially intended to. It had an affect on the occult community, and pahrases and experts were commonly used at groups such as friends of Hekate (parts where he describes animal sarifice as pointless and for amateurs, as orgasmic energy can be gained easier). Parts of it even resound basic chaos magick theory.

Quote:
LaVey himself was not really a good person. As I said, all his principles are basically human nature, but as you can see, they have a feral justice and primal pleasures.
Exactly. As another occultist once wrote "If history has taught us anyhting it's that human nature WILL show through eventually."

Quote:
It's the occultists that run around causing harm to people, animals and property.
No, i can assure you we don't. You're reffering to criminals, and occultists have no lvoe for them either. you're reffering to lower intellect Luciferians.

Quote:
The better question swould be- What is the difference between Satan and Lucifer?
One is a mediaval concept of the darker side of human nature. the other is a babylonian king.

Quote:
Lucifer was an angel, we all know the story. He is the ruler of Hell.
Wrong, Lucifer (as reffered to in the bible passage "Oh Lucifer, son of the morn', how thou hast weakened the nations..." Is often misquoted, and actually refers to an ancient babylonian king. Satan and the devil are thought to be different entities as well (as they are booted from heaven for reasons if you read the bible).

Quote:
I just finished a mythology book and Hel is indeed the ruler of the underworld...I am very curious as to which terminology was coined first...
the lowest part of the norse afterlife.

Quote:
it is funny when you re-read the Bible and read just what's there
It shows that Yahweh is a hypocrite. Holding humans to such high standards while frequently breaking rules himself and allowing "his favourites" to break them.

Quote:
Indeed, LaVey has aleady died (never had the chance of meeting him *sigh*)
Try necromancy then.

Quote:
I used to be a Satanist, currently a member of The Temple of The Vampire,
ToV are fairly sound with logic, but it seems to be stepping slightly into the world of religion so I'm avoiding it for now.
Gedio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #128
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Ooh, what's a depper evil?

Does it have to do with sinning with Johnny Depp?

You surely know how to distract a girl...

Has anyone mentioned Milton yet?

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #129
Niels

Milton... hm... cool dude, writes great poems, in my opinion.

And I think you mean Paradise Lost. I loved it, but it's just an epic story, like Homers Illias: great to read, but not to be taken seriously...

If you mean something else, then I will hold my silence...
Old 05-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #130
spookypurple

Some of my all-time favourite quotes some from Paradise Lost. One in particular gets rolled out every bright day...

"I wish to tell tyhee,sun, how I hate thy beams.'

(I may have paraphrased slightly there)

Hamlet
Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 AM   #131
Niels

Speaking of favorite quotes from Paradise Lost:

Here's mine:

From Book 1, 254, 255:

'The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.'

But let's get back on topic... :P
Old 05-19-2006, 03:59 AM   #132
spookypurple

Ah, yessss!

And I apologise for the typo in the previous post.

Well, it was only slightly off topic.....

You know, portrayal of such figures in the media.

Ahem....

Hamlet
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #133
Godslayer Jillian

*Bump*
(In case someone might be interested in this subject)

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #134
c130

Uninitiated Satanist here.