Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #401
Tam Li Hua

That I'm not really into make-up. And that I don't listen to "goth" music all the time.

Usually it's something kind of dark-themed, but sometimes I need to listen to something upbeat to keep me from sinking into despair COMPLETELY. (Meds only help so much.)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #402
Class-Punk

I tend to take things that are not inherently poetically dark and pull them as far into that for fun without it being a foundation for neurosis. I do like corn chips and without a combination of food coloring there's no way to make them Goth, save that they are traditionally cooked in oil, which allows them to act as a short to medium range fire carrier in survival situations.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #403
Catch

I enjoy burning things.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #404
Timeless Rebellion

(Ok, so this thread is officially alive again?)
I like puppies, sunshine, fruit smoothies and coloured candy.
Oh wait, that's actually goth as fuck.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #405
Acharis

Don't often wear makeup, live in jeans and sold my clubwear.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:26 AM   #406
Stormbringer

I don't really have any interest in canonical goth music, death-metal or anything that just sounds like a guy growling down the microphone. I love opera and Baroque music particularly the spidery sound of the harpsichord. Goth clubs or clubs in general don't interest me either but then I'm 50 and have years of over drinking and passive smoking behind me to remind me of what clubs were like. Bring on High Tea with sterling silver tea spoons.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 AM   #407
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
I don't really have any interest in canonical goth music, death-metal or anything that just sounds like a guy growling down the microphone. I love opera and Baroque music particularly the spidery sound of the harpsichord.
Ahh man, I don't want to derail this thread but that's actually not ungoth at all.

I think you might like to check out Anna Varney of Sopor Aeternus, who sometimes uses harpsichords and has a very special sound.. It's rooted in Renaissance and Baroque music.
One warning I would give you (assuming you don't already know the band which you may) is that the performance art can be a little disturbing or grotesque with the makeup, and some songs are NSFW so you may not want to randomly explore her music at work.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #408
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Ahh man, I don't want to derail this thread but that's actually not ungoth at all.

I think you might like to check out Anna Varney of Sopor Aeternus, who sometimes uses harpsichords and has a very special sound.. It's rooted in Renaissance and Baroque music.
One warning I would give you (assuming you don't already know the band which you may) is that the performance art can be a little disturbing or grotesque with the makeup, and some songs are NSFW so you may not want to randomly explore her music at work.
Thanks Acharis, I'll check Anna Varney out. I'm always open to new music. Don't worry I like disturbing and grotesque too - all part of the performance.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #409
Anise

I'm vegan ..
Is that ungoth?
Some seem surprised, like they expected me to live off the blood of virgins o.O
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #410
Stormbringer

In this day and age actually finding a virgin would be difficult...as for being vegan, no problem there, goth doesn't have religious rules as in Judaism where certain foods are forbidden so I wonder what being un-goth really involves?

I can think of people who are about as ungoth as it is possible to be - like some of the fundamentalist Christian sects - where members are told what to think, who to marry, what to wear, what sexual practises they are allowed to indulge in, how to wear their hair and they are encouraged to believe that the world is about to end any minute now and that Satan and his cohorts of demons are always lurking in wait for their souls. So in my opinion if a person is anti-freedom then they are are un-goth.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #411
Scientiam

REALLLLLY not into dying
Scientiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:45 AM   #412
Anise

Ah Stormbringer you read my mind!
I guess I'm not entirely certain what is 'ungoth'
Great thread tho, fun
Anti-freedom is anti-goth, I love that! <3

I wonder .. are we all entirely ok and comfy with our diversity, but society isn't?
People tend to equate Goth with a certain morbidity, presume we like to sleep in coffins lol .. Like Sci has just touched upon tho, 'death' .. we are perhaps presumed to be preoccupied with thoughts of demise.

Sci, I hear ya. Not enamoured with popping my clogs either.
But it's apparently the one truth in life, the one fulfilled promise.
It's coming to us all and there's sweet FA we can do about it. Sucks huh!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #413
Molster

Think it is hard to find much that is ungoth, except for being judgemental, closed minded, bigoted or anything like that. Being goth as far as I see it is largely about being open minded and non-judgemental...

Think I will be happy to die; once I'm not fit and healthy enough to walk the hills anymore...will get to see my dad again, hopefully see my mum as I don't really remember her well and hopefully I'll make a better job of my next life...
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #414
Stormbringer

We goths may not be the most optimistic of people but unlike some of the Christian sects I allude to above, we don't sit around hoping that the world will end, and end soon. To make things worse, these misguided people pray to encourage God to hurry it up!

I've had three friends that have been brainwashed by pentacostal Christians. Two of them luckily broke free and escaped, the third was not so lucky. He swallowed the church's so called teachings hook, line and sinker, followed them devoutly for many years, gave the church considerable amounts of his money then, when he went through a relationship crisis and he lost a lot of his money during the GFC, the church did nothing to support him not even emotionally. His wife left him and he eventually committed suicide.

Then as a final insult, the very church that he'd been a loyal member for years didn't even attend his funeral or publish a memorium in the local papers. Why? Because he had died a sinner - by his own hand! And what are they doing today - still praying that Judgement Day come now.

I don't care what anyone says about us sweet, purple tinted goths - these fundamentalists and all their kin are far more morbid, bleak-minded, obsessional and an evil kanker on the face of society. Yes Anise, anti-freedom is un-goth.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #415
Corvus Lestrange

I happen to be quite partial to Lady Gaga.
Corvus Lestrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #416
Anise

Well to be fair she's a very alternative Lady
Old 10-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #417
ape descendant

I'd list off a lot of gamey/nerdy stuff, but I'm pretty sure that stuff is pretty gothy too. I do have an undying love for brightly colored socks, though, and I like old timey country/folk music.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #418
Catch

pretty much everything is not that Goth about me. I tan, wear color, smile, ..... It's an endless list.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #419
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
pretty much everything is not that Goth about me. I tan, wear color, smile, ..... It's an endless list.
Ok, Catch, with over 4,000 posts on this site, I'm willing to bet you're pretty goth. There's no reason why we goths can't smile, or tan or wear colour. I'm happy being goth and that gives me plenty of cause to smile.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:56 AM   #420
Lyonel

I'm a Drake fan. I think that's about as "un-goth" as it gets. I also wish he was gay, if even partially, so my unrealistic expectations about getting in bed with him might hold some weight. ._. What? A boy can dream, can't he?
Lyonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #421
Theudas

My cloths are most of the times much to bright and colorful, i even own 4 or 5 different shades of grey
Also i own blue jeans again, i guess it becomes more irrelevant if you grow older and not everything you wear has to be black all the time.
Theudas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #422
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
Ok, Catch, with over 4,000 posts on this site, I'm willing to bet you're pretty goth. There's no reason why we goths can't smile, or tan or wear colour. I'm happy being goth and that gives me plenty of cause to smile.
Thank you Stormbringer. There's no reason to believe life isn't a wretched cesspool of disease that infects you with hope because life is just to die.

~ Screams and Cries

Old 10-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #423
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Thank you Stormbringer. There's no reason to believe life isn't a wretched cesspool of disease that infects you with hope because life is just to die.

~ Screams and Cries

Bravo, well put my friend! Now stop it, you're making me smile.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #424
LovelyLunaxx

I love horse back riding...perhaps that is considered "ungoth"? Or depending on how you look at it not so ungoth.
LovelyLunaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #425
Pr1aP1sm

GrindCore on 4 lbs. Test

What is UnGoth about Me???
Well I guess that depends on what you consider Goth.

If I had to pick one thing, I guess it would be my love for fishing. It's one of my only daylight activities. I have always been intrigued by the unknown lurking beneath the surface. I even tie my own fly fishing lures.

At the waters edge I can enjoy peaceful contemplation,
And I can also hide from the rest of you.

So... Yeah, Fishing!

And while a Tiger Musky might not be Goth,
It certainly is GRINDCORE on 4 lbs. test.
Pr1aP1sm is offline   Reply With Quote