Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
aspiring

When did you get to meet like minded individuals?

All my (short 14 year) life, I've only been around a very undiverse group of people. There was basically the Preppy shallow kids, The preppy emo kids (the whiners that don't actually do anything to help themselves), the preppy jocks, or the socially awkward. They are either very high strung and stiff, or too laid back and lazy. I have made friends with them, I'm not anti social or anything, its just that it seems that a lot of them are very shallow, or just can't relate to much.

My closest friend would have to be this "rocker/punk" girl that I found myself instantly drawn to in middle school. She was a pretty good student, got pretty much straight B's with an A or C in the bunch, took advanced classes (which isn't a giant feat in middle school, but they were a tad more difficult). She was an easy going, analytical, coffee guzzling machine. Which is how I think I am.

I started high school 3 weeks ago, and maybe I'm reading to much into it, but so far a vast majority of the kids I have talked to are relatively the same shallow-preps that always seem to be in surplus.
I do tennis and take excel classes (which does contribute to me not meeting a diverse group of kids, but in my school the non-excel classes are near remedial...) and don't act scary or weird or anything.

I enjoy talking about politics, philosophy, criticizing bad books, reviewing good books, reading, and tennis (to a certain degree. It was mainly my get out of being bullied ticket. Also P.E at my school is said to be near boot camp status).

Should I try to talk to seniors? Admittedly I tried to talk to some juniors that I knew from a common friend, but when I am around NEW people I always act jumpy and... pretty much like a startled deer.

Sorry about all the spelling and grammar mistakes, i am a pretty poor writer, but i hope I got the general description of me out there.
aspiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
aspiring

Oh yah, since I never remember this in the desciption, I am a guy.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
*Twitch

Dude, the fact that you bothered to mention that the people were preppy or emo is a little shallow. I'm not debating that they may suck, but how they look is irrelevant. As to "don't act scary and/or wierd", having done that myself I can't condemn it, but I will say I now realise that I scared away some good people by doing it. Be yourself, but don't go out of your way to be seen as "Different" (note the cap)

Moving on. I'm 19. I have friends that range from ages 15-25. If someone seems interesting, go talk to them. Be yourself, and if they like you, they like you. If not, well shit happens, you know?

Good luck, and stick with the punk chick. Us punks know how to have a good time
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
aspiring

Haha, thanx. The punk girl is definitely a friend of mine i don't plan on losing.

And I didn't deem them emo or preppy based on their appearances, I got to know/ am getting to know a fair lot of them, it's just that's how I would best categorize their personality's.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
*Twitch

Fair enough, I apologize for jumping to that conclusion, but I still have trouble reconciling emo and prep as personality types/traits/whatever rather than aesthetic tastes.

But yeah, high school can be fun sometimes. Meet people, not all of them will be asshats. And don't forget to fuck around. Skip class, take days off when the weather's nice, and fucking party it up. But not too much, take it from me and my buddy scott. Scotty dropped out and now needs to go back and finish grade 12, and I fucked around tooo much and screwed myself options-wise. [/attempt at wisdom]
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
OnyxBat

I just started high school too...and it is nothing how you described yours to be. There are really no preps, jocks, emo that you can clearly identify but hey every body talks to every body theres not much of lables happening (I get a few stares some times but hey thats life).
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Sinjob

I have a lot of respect for your intelligence, humility, and honesty. Before I respond to this overall I'd like you to know all of your fear and confusion I sympathize with. It's understandable, but you must know that there is nothing to be afraid of in high school. As long as you just be yourself, you should have to problem talking to seniors or anyone older than you. If they're gonna try and pull the superiority bullshit (which keep in mind is meant to be a joke) they aren't worth your time. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring View Post
All my (short 14 year) life, I've only been around a very undiverse group of people. There was basically the Preppy shallow kids, The preppy emo kids (the whiners that don't actually do anything to help themselves), the preppy jocks, or the socially awkward.
Here's where I gotta point something out (other than what Twitch already said). How are you not socially awkward when you say you get 'jumpy'? Don't be afraid but at the same time don't be afraid to admit you're afraid...if that makes sense.

Quote:
My closest friend would have to be this "rocker/punk" girl that I found myself instantly drawn to in middle school. She was a pretty good student, got pretty much straight B's with an A or C in the bunch, took advanced classes (which isn't a giant feat in middle school, but they were a tad more difficult). She was an easy going, analytical, coffee guzzling machine. Which is how I think I am.
Don't ruin this friendship by screwing her, that's all I can say. Unless you guys are gonna have a thing.

And guys...c'mon. Don't loosely throw around these labels to dismiss different groups of people with subjectivity, that's shallow. There is no class struggle in high school. Don't take the social aspect seriously.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
KontanKarite

Actually, everyone in High School is the same, kid. They're all people. They fart, say embarrassing shit, take shits, pick their nose, lie to their parents, feel isolated, feel scared, feel excited, sneaks ciggs at school, and dreads what others think of them.

They're no more different than you are. Some play a sport. What do you expect? They're kids. Some listen to crappy "emo" music. What do you expect? They're kids.

You want to be loved? You want to be accessible and powerful? Then be yourself and don't reinforce arbitrary lines that divide you from the common good with common people. What would be so bad with going fishing with the star football player at school? What would be so bad with laughing with the head cheerleader? What would be so bad with listening to TSOL with your punk femm friend? These are all people, kid and they're all wonderful and horrible in some way or another. Do what you do. Like what you like, but for fuck's sake, child, LET PEOPLE IN.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
JCC

Every 14 year old kid thinks that the rest of the world isn't deserving of them. It's not everyone else, it's the chip on your shoulder.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Alan

That's why I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the "be yourself"

Now, hear me out entirely at first. By the time you're in college you're gonna be embarrassed about a lot of decisions in high school. That's why you have to make as many decisions and be open to as many circumstances as possible. That way when you look back you will be saying "oh man, how could I have done all those things?" instead of "oh man, how could I have been like that?"

When people say "be yourself" it either means nothing or it is counterproductive because the only way that it's not tautological is that you create yourself in opposition to others.
Peer pressure is not a bad thing if you already are strong and not particularly impressionable. That's why you should tell us a little more about you so that we don't just give you a generic advice that won't help.
You already ARE yourself, and the most basic essence of your personality you will always carry it with you, while the shallower layers you'll probably either: regret them, warmly laugh back at them, or wear them as an ironic badge of honor if you become a hipster.

What should you do, then? Precisely what Kontan said, let people in, be open to new things. You're still finding a niche and a lifestyle you'll be comfortable with, so meet everyone if possible, even if they look shallow at first.
High school alienation only lasts through that part of your life, but the relationships you make despite of it will last a hell of a lot longer.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
aspiring

Thank you for your responding. It was probably one of the best responses, and definitely helpful. And the girl I mentioned is definitely to valuable to risk losing.

And I am sorry for using the terms emo, punk, and prep somewhat loosely. I guess they have become a bit ingrained into my vocabulary- to substitute longer explanations. I actually don't dislike any of these subcultures, i just became accustomed to loosely categorizing people into those groups. But, for what it's worth, I do base these groupings by personality, and they actually refer to themselves under such groupings whenever questioned.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
aspiring

I do try to let people in, but sometimes, no matter how open each side is, we may not find anything in common. I don't avoid anybody or completely disregard a group of people based on looks or personal preference. Or at least I try my hardest to avoid such a sordid act. But sometimes I just find people I am... incompatible with. Someone that, far to often, is nice and welcoming, yet we have near nothing to talk about. Those I lack common interests with I can never seem to keep a close relationship with.

And, on a pretty unrelated note, TSOL as in The Sounds Of Liberty? Because I do like them a bit.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
JCC

Quote:
And, on a pretty unrelated note, TSOL as in The Sounds Of Liberty? Because I do like them a bit.
Nobody calls TSOL True Sounds of Liberty, if you didn't know the abbreviation then you hadn't heard the band. This is part of your problem, you're fronting.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
aspiring

I've only heard like two songs by them from a compilation cd a friend gave me. I was just trying to say i had nothing against them.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
OnyxBat

Quote:
I do try to let people in, but sometimes, no matter how open each side is, we may not find anything in common. I don't avoid anybody or completely disregard a group of people based on looks or personal preference. Or at least I try my hardest to avoid such a sordid act. But sometimes I just find people I am... incompatible with. Someone that, far to often, is nice and welcoming, yet we have near nothing to talk about. Those I lack common interests with I can never seem to keep a close relationship with.

I have the same problem too I just have to be more social and stop focusing to hard in class. An high school is stressful as shit! I basically living off of over priced starbuck and chocolate chip cookies for lunch.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
aspiring

Haha! Who needs food when you have coffee?
My highschool is like a block away from a starbucks, and i pretty much live off of it too. I usually am kept up late with busy-work assignments, so i also rely on starbucks for my energy too.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
OnyxBat

Same here, I usally get a white chocolate mocha in the afternoon and by the time I have History I am already hyped on the caffeine.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #18
Alan

Doesn't Starbucks cost like four bucks a cup?
real classy
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
Sinjob

A plain black coffee is under a dollar I believe.

But the beverages most people get (which actually barely have coffee in them) range from two to five dollars...fucking bullshit.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
OnyxBat

Yeah they do My drink comes out to be $5.20 (large), they also raised it because the coffee bean price whent up.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #21
OnyxBat

a plain black coffee is like $1.50 I think. and then they over price ppl on the food that they have like a cookie is $1.49
Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #22
Alan

Jesus, don't complain about cookies when you're already wasting $5.20 daily anyway.
real classy
Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
OnyxBat

I am just mentioning it, and it is not a daily thing. Hey let me ask you something, have you ever seen yogurt with rum in it?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #24
aspiring

Haha, if you get a Grande Iced Mocha, then just add a shot and its like EPIC!
Keeps me buzzing around most of the day, and its under 5$.

Although I have an ongoing competition with a java head to see who can finish a drink with the most shots. A 6 shot iced mocha. Epic.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #25
OnyxBat

I'll remember that, please I can beat anybody in a coffee drinking competition.