Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 AM   #1276
ExistentialDisorder

Saw 2

Was better than the first. At least, in the sense that it was more complex and twisted. i thought i had a fucked up imagination but damn...

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #1277
Pathogen.

*Hustle & Flow [2005, Paramount/New Deal/MTV].--D-Jay, a pimp, has a mid-life crisis situation & decides to become a Rap performer. With the help of his 2 hookers [1 of them pregnant with an incredible singing voice], an old highschool friend on the mixing board & another dude creating/programming beats, D-Jay records songs for a demo tape at a home studio. D.I.Y., baby! Now, D-Jay is looking to take his act all throughout Memphis. Ludacris also stars as Skinny Black, a B.E.T./MTV-ready Rap MC character I hated immediately! Co-produced by John Singleton. D-Jay's songs performed by Memphis Rap MC Al Capone [how fucking original]. Winner of the 2005 Sundance Film Festival.

*Double Idemnity [1944, Paramount].
*Sorry, Wrong Number [1948, Paramount].--2 Film-Noir classics starring Barbara Stanwyck.

"Double Idemnity" has Stanwyck in a femme fatale-role. She plays Nora Dedricksen, the wife of an oildriller who arranges to have her husband killed, to make it look like an accident, so she could claim
$100,000 from his insurance-policy. Fred MacMurray played Walter Neff, an insurance salesman/love interest who helps Nora bump off her husband.

"Sorry, Wrong Number" has Stanwyck in a victim-role. She plays Leona Stevenson, a bedbound woman with an unspecified sickness, frantically answering/making calls on a telephone all throughout the picture. Burt Lancaster plays her husband Harry, who Leona married & hooked up with a job in the family business: Pharmaceuticals. Harry Stevenson sets up dummy companies in the New York City/northern New Jersey-area & makes money--for himself. But hired goons working for Cottrell [the pharmaceutical company in this picture] come after him & his accomplice, a sixtysomething chemist. From there, the suspense mounts.

[If there's anyone on this forum who've never checked out a Film-Noir flick--besides "Sin City" & "L.A. Confidential"--these are 2 good ones to start out with]
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #1278
Nemesis

Final destination 2 last night and it was shit, the exact same plot as the first one except twice as boring. Yes it had some good effects in it , but i mean the ending?! how tacky was that
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #1279
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
A Fistful of Dollars

A Few dollars More

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Man With No Name: You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig

Three classics from Sergio Leone, one of the best directors ever.
BEOWOLF: I agree. I saw my share of Western flicks growing up, but the 1st ones I've remembered enjoying were 1960s Italian-made Westerns. Leone's. He did a couple of others with Eastwood in them & another with an all-star cast headed by Lee Van Cleef & Henry Fonda.

They don't make good flicks like that anymore!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #1280
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
BEOWOLF: I agree. I saw my share of Western flicks growing up, but the 1st ones I've remembered enjoying were 1960s Italian-made Westerns. Leone's. He did a couple of others with Eastwood in them & another with an all-star cast headed by Lee Van Cleef & Henry Fonda.

They don't make good flicks like that anymore!

Do you like the Django films (cant remember the exact titles) , I thought they were pretty good (love the Gatling gun in the coffin, he dragged about with him).

I also love `Once Upon a Time in the West` and `Once Upon a Time in America` by Sergio Leone. He is one of the best directors ever !!!.

What do you think of Sam Raimis `The Quick and the Dead` ?.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #1281
gloom_cookie

Room Service (1938)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0030696/
gloom_cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #1282
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Do you like the Django films (cant remember the exact titles) , I thought they were pretty good (love the Gatling gun in the coffin, he dragged about with him).

I also love `Once Upon a Time in the West` and `Once Upon a Time in America` by Sergio Leone. He is one of the best directors ever !!!.

What do you think of Sam Raimis `The Quick and the Dead` ?.
BEOWOLF: I've never seen "The Quick & The Dead". Or the Django flicks either. But now that you've told me about the Gatlin gun in the coffin, I'm going to check them out!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #1283
TeapotScar

I saw the classic, the timeless: Evil Dead.

And before that I saw Nausicaa. Which was weird... really weird. I LOVED the visuals and just the creative ideas. It wasn't *as* creative-genius-y, but it was really emotive. For some reason, I really identified with the giant pill-bugs... that may sound silly, but you'll know if you've seen it. And I HATED Nausicaa. Such a fucking perfect bitch. So caaaaaring so unselfish... so UGH I can't even express my hatred for that character. But she did have a sweet hang-glider.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #1284
peeves

I don't know what it was called, my sister wanted to watch it while I was babysitting her, I know it had Hillary Duff in it and there was alot of bad music. For a chick flick it wasn't all that bad... I think I may have fallen asleep for a bit, don't tell my mom. The last movie I saw that I actually liked was Pirates of the Caribean a couple days ago.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #1285
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Hilary Duff-- That would be A Cinderella Story? Or Raise Your Voice? Or Cadet Kelly? The Lizzie McGuire Movie?

She was also in the Cheaper By The Dozen movies, but those aren't musical. The musical ones are The Lizzie McGuire Movie and Raise Your Voice, but the other two up there ^ could apply as well.

Yes, I did that off the top of my head. I didn't search her cinematic history or anything. Yes, I'm pathetic.
I watched Raise Your Voice once with a friend of mine and I liked the part where her bro dies, it's really sad*sob*. But the music was awful, my eardrums were going to explode! NASTY,NASTY COMPUTERIZED VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #1286
Beowulf

Cool Clawing Monster From A Lost Age strikes from the Amazon's forbidden depths!

Creature from the Black Lagoon

A scientific expedition searching for fossils along the Amazon River discover a prehistoric Gill-Man in the legendary Black Lagoon. The explorers capture the mysterious creature, but it breaks free. The Gill-Man returns to kidnap the lovely Kay, fiancée of one of the expedition, with whom it has fallen in love. IMDB

This film is one of the famous `Universal Monster` series, and it is really cool.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #1287
peeves

Nah, your not pathetic, I just have a really bad memory so I have to really like the movie to remeber what it was called. I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas last night
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #1288
ExistentialDisorder

RENT - the musical. on dvd.

It was painful. and not in a good way.

I'm ashamed of myself that I actually sat through the entire thing. I don't know why, and I'm really, truly sorry that I did. Please forgive me.

Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #1289
Blushing Heliophobe

Everybody's got AIDs! AIDs, AIDs, AIDs!
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #1290
Beowulf

Their coming to get you Barbara, their coming to ...

Night of the Living Dead

This film is dead cool, it is one my favourites in the genre, far superior to the re-make that was made in 1990 and in colour (Black and White gave it atmosphere).

Chaos descends upon the world as the brains of the recently deceased become inexplicably reanimated, causing the dead to rise and feed on human flesh. Speculation rests on a radiation-covered NASA satellite returning from Venus, but it only remains a speculation. Anyone who dies during the crisis of causes unrelated to brain trauma will return as a flesh-eating zombie, including anyone who has been bitten by a zombie. The only way to destroy the zombies is to destroy the brain. As the catastrophe unfolds, a young woman visiting her father's grave takes refuge in a nearby farmhouse, where she is met by a man who protects her and barricades them inside. They both later discover people hiding in the basement, and they each attempt to cope with the situation. Their only hope rests on getting some gasoline from a nearby pump into a truck that is running on empty, but this requires braving the hordes of ravenous walking corpses outside. When they finally put their plans into action, panic and personal tensions only add to the terror as they try to survive. (IMDB)

`Newscaster: All law enforcement agencies and the military have been organized to search out and destroy the marauding ghouls. The Survival Command Center at the Pentagon has disclosed that a ghoul can be killed by a shot in the head, or a heavy blow to the skull. Officials are quoted as explaining that since the brain of a ghoul has been activated by the radiation, the plan is kill the brain, and you kill the ghoul. `

Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 PM   #1291
ExistentialDisorder

"because it hurts to be dead..."

heheh.

That movie gave me nightmares for weeks when I was a kid. I think I was like 9 or 10 the first time I saw it. I actually kind'a liked the one with the guy that brought his dead girl friend back to life, and then she had to shove nails and shit in her flesh to ease the pain. Cheesy, but kind'a hot too.

Much better than Rent. course, anything would be better than rent.

I hate musicals.... *grrr* They're not even as realistic as the most far-fetched space odyssey. I mean, who the hell walks around singing, even to themselves?? It wouldn't be quite so bad if the music/songs had some kind of talent, but they have to use shit that makes nails on chalkboards sound more appealing.

Why aren't there any goth/industrial musicals tho? I'd watch that. Set the themes to something by NIN or the Sisters. I think that would actually be cool.

Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #1292
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
"because it hurts to be dead..."

heheh.

That movie gave me nightmares for weeks when I was a kid. I think I was like 9 or 10 the first time I saw it. I actually kind'a liked the one with the guy that brought his dead girl friend back to life, and then she had to shove nails and shit in her flesh to ease the pain. Cheesy, but kind'a hot too.

Much better than Rent. course, anything would be better than rent.

I hate musicals.... *grrr* They're not even as realistic as the most far-fetched space odyssey. I mean, who the hell walks around singing, even to themselves?? It wouldn't be quite so bad if the music/songs had some kind of talent, but they have to use shit that makes nails on chalkboards sound more appealing.

Why aren't there any goth/industrial musicals tho? I'd watch that. Set the themes to something by NIN or the Sisters. I think that would actually be cool.
Doesn't anyone like Moulin Rouge? It's one of my favourites. I've watched it about 14 times and it still depresses me. Love hurts...
Old 02-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #1293
anchyyy

The last movie i watched was Saw 2. Great movie!
anchyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #1294
Pathogen.

"Redemption" [2004, Twentieth Century-Fox]--A biography film on the life of [the late] San Quentin death row-prisoner/Crips founder/anti-gang warfare writer/Nobel Peace Prize nominee Stanley "Tookie" Williams [played by Jamie Foxx]. Excellent flick. The best way for me to pay my last respects to Williams, since Schwarzenegger ordered his execution 2 months ago. Rest in peace, bro. Bang for peace.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #1295
grimreaper993

Final Destination 3.
grimreaper993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #1296
Tall One In Black

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Old 02-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #1297
Binkie

Domino

I thought perhaps this movie had potential from reading it's description. Would have been better to watch the previews because that gives you a better idea of what to expect; rude girl with an attitude, ego, british accent, and pretty face. Makes for a long night of constant eye-rolling.

This film also shows you just how much to trust films that begin with "Based on actual events," especially when it deplicts a suicide bombing of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas by a Middle Easterner as having happened in the last 2 years or so. Mmmm'yeah, I don't really recall that ever having gone down. I'm not even going to touch the caricatures of people from Afghanistan either. And as though the insulting of your intelligence wasn't enough for two hours, the writer has the balls to end the film with a monologue by the main character as saying, "As for what is true and isn't true about this story, that's none of your fucking business!" It IS my fucking business, asshole. I paid to see this bullshit, so don't tell me to fuck off when I fell for your stupid ass marketing ploy of "based on actual events."

Seriously though, this was just a mind numbing headache through and through. Aside from the girl with the attitude problem and super ego, they throw in something you'd expect to see out something like say, the Matrix, about a total stranger (Tom Waits) walking up to Domino and spelling out what her destiny is (which is to be part of this "prophecy) based on all this shit he had no way of knowing and answering all of her questions about life (after he goes through this religious bullshit).

And to top it off, it was directed by Tony Scott, president of ADHD films. If you've watched "Man on Fire" with someone prone to epileptic seizures, you'll know what kind of bullshit this involves. Don't even bother feeding yourself or the kids their dosage of Ritalin, because they'd enjoy it much more without it. None of the shots throughout the movie can last for more than three seconds before entering a rapid sequence of 5 cuts that last a fraction of a second each and frame absolutely nothing in it's entirity. And then there's this flickering bullshit with the film exposure. It was enough to drive me into taking several tablets of advil... with 120 proof rum after watching it.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #1298
Beowulf

Smile

Edward Scissorhands

This is one my favourite Tim Burton films, an absolute classic!

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
A modern day fairy tale which tells the story of Edward, the man created by an inventor, who died before finishing him and left Edward with scissors where he should have hands. One day when the local "Avon" representative calls at the historic mansion where Edward has been living alone, she takes him home to stay with her family. He has to adapt to the new life and environment that he isn't used to. Soon he shows a talent in cutting hair and hedges, and wins every body's heart. But life isn't always so sweet... (IMDB)

Old 02-27-2006, 03:22 AM   #1299
pitseleh

It's All Gone Pete Tong

A film about Frankie Wilde, an Ibiza DJ who does a shitload of coke and inevitably goes insane, and eventually - deaf. It's interspersed with interviews with several DJs and slimy record-industry people, both real and fictitious, who talks about Frankie retrospectively. So it has a bit of a mockumentary feel, although most of it is presented like a traditional (i use this word in a loose sense) movie.

At first I thought this was going to be a downhill ride all the way, but to my surprise it wasn't all that horrible. I'm talking about the fate of the protagonist here, not the movie itself, which was filled with black humour and some rather good acting performances. If you like Trainspotting, this will probably be right up your alley. Of course, since it takes place in Ibiza, this is a whole lot sunnier. Lots of good music, too.

By the way, before this one I saw some sci-fi flick about time-travel with disastrous consequences. I don't even remember what it was called, but the back cover has some screenshots of a dinosaur on it. Rented this with a friend of mine, just to have a bit of B-movie ridicule-fest. And boy, did we ever rip it to shreds. It sucked so hard. If you ever see a DVD cover that matches the description I've given, don't watch it! A total waste of CGI-monkey-power as well as whatever toilet-paper the "script" was written on.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #1300
Beowulf

Cool It Will Take You A Million Light Years From Home

Stargate (1994)

Egyptologist Daniel Jackson is brought to an underground military base where he decodes the symbols on Egyptian cover stones as star constellations. That allows a alien device known as the Stargate to be opened and a team led by Air Force Colonel Jack' O' Neil and Jackson to travel across the known universe to a distant planet. Arriving on the planet, they find a culture ruled by someone pretending to be the Egyptian sun god Ra. Soon, Ra captures the team and takes control of a nuclear weapon brought to the planet in case of the discovery of hostile aliens. Jackson and O'Neil escape and must fight Ra and his army of warriors to save Earth from being destroyed by Ra. (IMDB)

I think this is one of the best Sci-Fi films of the `90s. I think this would be in my top 20 Sci-Fi films.