Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Pineapple_Juice

e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers, etc.

Did a quick search but my tablet does wonky things to websites. Apologies if repeating.

Does anyone use an e-cigarette? I quit smoking smoking forever a few months ago when i bought one. The cheapos at the gas station suck, so i picked up a Joye E-Go Mega. It's pretty much the best purchase i've ever made.

I wanted one that looked and tasted exactly like a real cigarette until i realized that the bigger the piece, the bigger the battery and the more e-juice i could hold before having to refill.

What do y'all think of these newfangled contraptions?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Versus

I heard that some are worse then real cigarettes, but I suspect that a smoker isn't deterred by health concerns anyway. I haven't looked into it, but it's pretty appealing.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Pineapple_Juice

Hmm, interesting. What'd they say was in them that was worse than real cigarettes? Thusfar all i see is flavoring and vegetable glycerin with nicotine, i'd be interested to know what they mean. One of the big selling points for me was the lack of toxic chemicals.

It's really convenient in that i can "smoke" indoors and change flavors whenever it suits me. Plus if you stick with one or two flavors until theyre gone i save a shit-ton of money as opposed to buying a pack every other day.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Saya

My sister is trying to quit and I'm trying to get her to look into this, I think she really depends on the nicotine to get through the day.

And yeah, I thought it was all the tar and chemicals that made it bad for you, not the nicotene itself.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Versus

Maybe a rumor from the tobacco industry.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Solumina

I have heard that somehow you get more nicotine from some of them or something but since for Jake it was more the habit that he needed to kick and not really a nicotine addiction he just got cartridges with no nicotine so neither of us paid close attention to the specific concern.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Pineapple_Juice

Yeah, technically it was created to be a smoking cessation aid, where you slowly lower the nicotine in the cartridges until you're at 0, so really the nicotine level all depends on the strength of the juice you buy.

I figure i'm going to get down to a 0 and then keep it to vape with regularly (like jake) only for the routine of doing so.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Purepsycho

I'd really love to get my mum on to these (well actually i'd love to get her to stop altogether but can't see that happening anytime soon)
She smokes so much and has chronic bronchitus and has trouble just going up a flight of stairs, but can't seem to see the sense in cutting down or giving up! Go figure! So thought these might be better tahn real ones, wheres the best place to get them from??
Purepsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
CuckooTuli

Alan Carr advises against nicotine substitutes. All hail Alan Carr; the man is a god as far as I'm concerned.

I've offered this before, but I have an email-able PDF of his book if anyone is trying to quit and finding it a bitch. I'd been trying for years and have always been both dismissive and mocking towards self-help books - I wouldn't have even bothered if two separate intelligent, non-flaky friends who I'd known to be heavy smokers prior to quitting hadn't reommended it. But it really is bloody good. And I was ridiculously addicted, to the point where I'd more or less accepted it was going to kill me, and that I'd be one of those people you see in cautionary videos smoking through a hole in their throat. Highly recommend, even if you're really not the self-help book type. (Dude's incredibly famous; it's not just me being a hippie.)
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Dr.Faustust

I've found that e cigerettes just make you want to smoke more, it dosent taste or feel like a real cigerette should as a result after using one I just want to get a real one. When quiting I found that there are actually three addictions that you are giving up. 1st is the actual chemical addiction of your body being used to having nicotin in it's system. 2nd is the hand to mouth . Your muscle memory gets used to having a cig in it's hand or it's mouth as a response to things or just in general. 3rd is the event , the habit itself , this refers to smokeing in the morning ,at night , at a show , wile drinking, and all other senerios were your used to smoking in out of habit . E cigerettes , don't do much for the addiction aspect , but can be useful for the other two. Over all I'm not a fan , but what ever floats your boat
Dr.Faustust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purepsycho View Post
I'd really love to get my mum on to these (well actually i'd love to get her to stop altogether but can't see that happening anytime soon)
She smokes so much and has chronic bronchitus and has trouble just going up a flight of stairs, but can't seem to see the sense in cutting down or giving up! Go figure! So thought these might be better tahn real ones, wheres the best place to get them from??
I got mine from thevaporpro.com.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Pineapple_Juice

Cuckoo and faust: i really don't want to quit, haha. The plan is to get to 0mg and then continue to use the vape.

It isn't like a real cigarette completely, but after using it i don't like cigarettes anymore and much prefer my vape. Just takes getting used to. Nobody likes vapes at first. Just like nobody likes cigarettes at first.

As for wantinv a.real smoke afterwards, it's possible that your nic level was too low.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
AnnmarieD

e- cigarette-forum is a great source of info for all things electronic cigarette.

There is an info section for learning terms and how tos plus a forum section for all the specifics.

I stopped smoking cigarettes using e cigs in July of 2010 but I still use e cigarettes with nicotine.

And for full disclosure I do own an e cig shop but nothing realted to that is here. I just happened to stumble over this thread while reading the forums.

No e cigarette vendor can legally claim that e cigs will help you stop smoking. They are not an approved "smoking cessation device" but we are allowed to say they are " an alternative to smoking" which they are.

Some people quite the whole thing, some do not - they vape for quite a while.

Some taper down as mentioned here. I did that and am staying at 12mg for a while now.

There are great flavors of nicotine and excellent devices and models.

Good info: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
AnnmarieD is offline   Reply With Quote