Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #51
maggot

I'm not sure, to be honest.

They don't speak to us. o_o
Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #52
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
There was someone who claimed falsely to have been ***** (sexually accosted in the worst way-- I won't try to slip the word through the censor), yes. She made a few posts along the lines of "It happened yet again." I can't remember her name.

Don't be afraid of the admins, Ophelia.
YESYESYES.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:18 AM   #53
MollyMac

The BlackOps was one person who was banned about 2 years ago. Not really related to the exodus.

The spam bot was neither the accused exodused former members nor myself. It was simply a bot, but I was a scapegoat... rather, it was a good was to get rid of the short stick that poked the bear and to give a reason that is less pussified than giving actual explanations.

*shrug*. Frankly, if it was me, the Spam would have been far more interesting. And probably continuing. Funny. All the same, really hard to give a shit now.

There was the gal who had claimed assault numerous times. I forget her screen name here, but I did find her on another board, dance related, quite serendipitous. Small world, sometimes. And yes, it was all lies.

Geisha? No words. not wasting the time.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #54
Clockwork

Wow, have I been leading a life of ignorance. You're never really aware of just how unaware you are, until you read a summary of a message board's history. Thank you very much for posting this, Humane. I had no idea this place had such an interesting past.

I guess this age will be looked back on as a golden age of sorts? A time of peace? Never lasts forever, you know...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #55
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Well, as most written history suffers, my version is also littered with inaccuracies and errors as the subsequent posts and comments from other older members shows. I will rewrite it and post a (hopefully) more accurate version next weekend. Or maybe the next; this weekend is COMIC-CON! YAY!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #56
nigga fooku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I remember it vividly, lool. It was a HUGE woman, wearing tiny shorts, bent over a counter or something. For like, a week, everyone posted it in their threads.
its me i'm the fat lady in that picture
nigga fooku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #57
MollyMac

Why does it really matter as to the history of the board? What does it change?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #58
Clockwork

I think it just gives you an appreciation for it more than anything. You can place yourself in comparison with the board, and realize all that's passed before you (in general, not you specifically) registered. Puts things in perspective.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #59
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

This little "history" is sorely lacking. Everyone who's anyone knows that it was I who breathed real life into this board. The whole reason that everything went to hell on a rail was that I stopped frequenting the board for a while. The whole "schism" was really just an expression of everyone's collective sorrow at my departure. Much weeping and gnashing of teeth, to be sure. And now you all know the REAL story.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #60
MollyMac

It seems baiting and pointless. Why re-stir the pot.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #61
DeathChii

Wooow so much history... and to think I've only been here 2/3 months =P
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #62
disorder

The Black Ops were indescribably infuriating. They came just after I joined. And there was a huge drama with Sanctus, which I still don't quite understand, but it was very complicated. And EyesOfATragedy was banned in there too. I liked her.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #63
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
No one is really trying to change anything. Goths are just extremely inquisitive people. We like history, especially history about ourselves. Not trying to stir the pot, that would probably lead to my eyeball getting sporked or something.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:07 AM   #64
CptSternn

HP -

A few things you missed...

First, the original members were all from EFNet #Gothic. Some of us still lurk there today (a more comlete list exists on *********** - http://community.***********.com/efnet_gothic/profile).

Also, the 2003 problems you speak of that caused all the mods to get the boot, well, that was around the time of the invasion of Iraq. I was one of the persons the mods kept booting and banning because of my anti-war views. Myself, along with a few others (some were anti-war, others were just younger users who tended to be a little mouthy) were kicked and banned without reason, which led to great strife, and eventually the banning of the mods.

The banned mods all post now on their own board where they share their right-wing visions. Also note those mods, although good with software and coding, were not goths. A few were, but a majority were just regular joe types who actually didn't like the gothic culture, music, and really had some right-wing beliefs which they liked to force on people with their power as a mod.

My account creation date (as listed next to my avatar) is 2003, that being said I was here in 1998 before it became a public site - Oct. 31st 2003 was the first date you could create a new account on the current system. I helped develop the music database (with David House) and MP3 database that was here for a while. We had for quite some time the largest collection of gothic/industrial Mp3's on the net - years before Mp3's became mainstream. That was of course until Otterly, another regular from #gothic, got busted for having Mp3s on his server. This was well before 2000 and well before the RIAA issues, but we still pulled them, and then having a database of just reivews without the acutal songs seemed kinda pointless so the whole project was scrapped.

There was also plans for an official magazine, a couple actually, that started but never took off. I was one of the first persons with a Gothic.net email and web site located here. I also used to house the official Gothic ICQ list here, but that too went away back in 2001 when MSN and Yahoo put out better messengers and ICQ usage died.

If you check my Extreme Tracking site - http://extremetracking.com/open;ref2?tag=cptstern

you can see a few other links to projects on G.Net that no longer exist that I was a part of. Rue Morgue (the original GNet members), my original homepage link, and of course the fact the most visitors I had, was back in 1998 was when my homepage was listed as the featured G.Net homepage (that again was back when we all had G.Net homepages to show off the stuff we had done for the site).

Alas, it seems like only yesterday I was chatting online with Weasel when he told me, 'sorry, trying to type but its hard with this guy from PacBell between my legs trying to give me T1'.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #65
HumanePain

Awesome history Captain! This was what I had hoped to see: more personal accounts of Gnet's history from members who were there and actually lived it.

I would love to read Edible_Eye's account, but I think he is a man who choses his words carefully and doesn't blather like I do. Well, the purpose of my starting the thread seems to be accomplishing it's purpose. Come on, let's see more posts from you legacy members!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #66
Underwater Ophelia

I miss Edible_Eye. And Manimal...they were fun.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #67
Solumina

yeah they were *sniff**sniff*
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #68
Corpsey

Edible eye's account of what happened would indeed be something to watch out for.. As well as Ben's. Ben would probably tell the whole purge history a lot better than I would, nevertheless I'm gonna try to throw in a few notes of my own...

I only arrived here about three or four weeks before it happened, so I didn't know these people well but I they were all the most prolific posters. Not everything was as great as I have been told it was once, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first thing I noticed sourly was that a girl called Kari got flamed by Tuk Keedar (who did nothing but flame and use racial slurs against her). What annoyed me and surprised me the most was that nothing was really done about this member except that his posts were edited by the mods as that was all they could do. Then the bannings started...

First it was TStone, Eyesofatragedy and Geisha to get the boot. The only signs of why this might of happened that are known to me is that Eyes said something about missing Darren and Geisha posted some seriously sick photo-links on a thread a troll posted the day before they all vanished; I only remember because it was the only post I actually remember of hers.

Then EPS and Wolfmoon's (the two previous mods) posts vanished and were then later restored but with the infamous "Eyeball SPORKED" title under their names, meaning they had promptly been banned. No explanation. I think it occured at the same time as the mod bannings when Xng got the boot and she was almost at the 10,000 mark. I never got to see who was greater than Peter Murphey.

Also I must note that a newbie called Alex was banned as well for completely unkown reasons. Only 50 posts on his belt and he vanished. I don't know who he was but I thought atleast he should be mentioned here.

The purge pretty much ended with the banning of Happy Dude. He was unbanned but still I saw no reason as to why he should have been banned at all... The only other person I can think of that was banned was Santarea, but she came back under multiple aliases and it was she that was accused of flooding the place with random bots. I never saw a shred of evidence as to why she would do that or that she did that.

And most notably, around the same time as all these purges, the Poetry Thread vanished. It was the thread that really drew me here and it was completely and utterly lost.

On a better note, after the purge that left pretty much just Jillian/Disorder/Vyv and several others remaining, the site slowly tricked up with new people and although it was touch and go, more new people came in and there has never since been such a purge and as Circle V, a clash of the titans.. They were a scary sight to see.

Still, I like it how it is today but I still greatly sympathise with those whose accounts vanished without an explination.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #69
Circle V

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's a really fucking stupid thing to say. The history of anything is important.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #70
Corpsey

Quote:
The history of anything is important.
Agreed.

I also forgot to mention Manimal. He merely stood up in the defence of EPS and then automatically got his account deleted like some common troll. >.<

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #71
Cicero

Here are my 2c from the 'mid 2006 drama' - just from what my memory is able to dredge up from last year.

I still remember one of the threads that seemed to spark the beginning of the purge - it was in the Whining Forum and horrorgirl expressed her disgust at the AFI ad that was being shown on the page. The discussion then went from there to how terrible the new admin were, and it all got rather fierce.

EPS and about a gazillion other members were banned right after that, and many of the remaining few left at their own accord. Xng stuck around for quite some time, if I remember correctly, until one day her posts disappeared.

Around that time WolfMoon 'hung up her mop' and resigned from being a moderator. I remember that last post quite clearly - it kind of marked the very end of what Gnet used to be.

I also remember the obcenely horrible 'lower then a snake' thread, of which I'm still confused about to this day. All that bitchery seemed so uncalled for, and it was against some of my favourite members here.

After that I can't remember much else, aside from the fact that I stuck around once it was all over.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #72
MollyMac

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's a really fucking stupid thing to say. The history of anything is important.

And ironic as I majored in history... What I was getting at is the the whole history of the forum is a pointless re-hashing and seems baiting as to what actually went on.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #73
Lapin

So....let me get this straight; some people questioned the adminstration and got the boot for it?

Miss Molly, no one is trying to make anyone else angry. A lot of the younger members (i.e. myself) are really interested in this. We just like hearing the stories...like campfire-time, you know?

(shakes head)

Humane, I just got this image of you with a flashlight under your chin while you relate all this....
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #74
Circle V

Quote:
And ironic as I majored in history... What I was getting at is the the whole history of the forum is a pointless re-hashing and seems baiting as to what actually went on.
Well, um... fuck you, or something.

I get what you're saying-- but frankly, I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the history of the place. I don't mind rehashing the drama-- it's not going to explode to the same level, and God knows the place needs some excitement.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #75
Godslayer Jillian

I also think it is in the very least amusing, and at most, helpful, for people to know Gnet's history.
I'll cite an example of why this is good:
A couple of months after the incident of the "Lower Than A Snake" thread, some people resurrected the thread and thought (and even said) some very bad things about Sanctus Dei, regardless of the fact that they weren't around when everything happened and Sanctus had already left some time early.
If they know what happened, this kind of mistake doesn't happen again.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote