Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #26
AshleyO

...A what?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
BourbonBoy

A-deist. Sorry for the confusion
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #28
AshleyO

...I'm sorry. What? I don't know this word you are using. I'm not familiar with it.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #29
BourbonBoy

No prob, it's understandable. Hitchens mentioned that he's an a-deist, meaning that he doesn't believe in any kind of deity (be it mother goddess, father god, big electron god, etc.) and while the term atheist served this purpose, he also felt the term atheist didn't go far enough. By claiming a-deism, no faith in any kind of god(s) he was admitting a complete lack of faith in anything even remotely resembling any kind of god(s). I remember him mentioning it in one of his numerous debates that's been posted to youtube.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #30
AshleyO

Oh. I always thought just claiming monist or materialist covered all your bases in the issues of a supernatural force. Damn. The man didn't have to go and try and invent some other word. Well... I guess he didn't invent it or whatever.

TIL...

Old 12-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #31
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Oh. I always thought just claiming monist or materialist covered all your bases in the issues of a supernatural force. Damn. The man didn't have to go and try and invent some other word. Well... I guess he didn't invent it or whatever.

TIL...
Wouldn't that still not cover materialist, atheist religions like Raelianism?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #32
AshleyO

Eh. No, it doesn't. Then again; I understand that religions aren't always centered around a kind of supernatural thing. I guess one could be a monist irreligious materialist. But man... that's really exhausting to get that specific.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #33
BourbonBoy

I think it does, but sadly in our modern world people want a term or phrase that sums up everything, be it PTSD, Born Again Christian, etc. I think Christopher Hitchens recognized this and said in his typical deep British accent, "Fuck it. If they hate the term 'atheist,' wait until they here about a-deist!"
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #34
AshleyO

I guess. I still think just admitting to be atheist is explosive enough. May as well own the controversy of it.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #35
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
So because I don't express something that could be assumed I feel, it's politcal profiteering? That's bullshit. There isn't a "right time" for this discussion because it happens evey single fucking day. I'm not satisfied with saying how I feel because I know that it's not enough, and I'm tired of being shammed for it by some twat who will only go so far as saying "This makes me so sad."
Express whatever you want. Unlike our dear Ashley I won't be telling you to shut up, so I don't know where "bullshit silencing tactic" came from.

Pro-gun, anti-gun, in either case it is in poor taste to be throwing posters at each other in the first 15 fucking minutes news of this broke, before anyone knew what the fuck happened. Grandstanding on the bodies of elementary school children is sick. Oh, you weren't doing that? Then I probably wasn't referring to you.

Thanks for the vitriol?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #36
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Ugh, they're saying the shooter might have been autistic...................I can smell a scapegoat coming. Already the negative portrayals of autism are beginning.

"I just watched a psychologist on the Piers Morgan CNN show describe autistics and Aspies as having no empathy. He tried to kind of back down later, but the overwhelming impression was that we're potentially dangerous."

It would certainly be so much easier for them to blame autism than guns.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #37
Fruitbat

JJ: I agree hun. The shooting is sad for all concerned. The victims, their families and also those who knew the gunman and his family.

Ren: our society seems driven to find a bad guy, to find a 'reason' why someone does something like that, so we can make some sense of it - (you know the old 2+2=5). I did see something about the gunman having autism on a social media site and I was furious that anyone would be making that link early on in the investigations. It's so much more than that, that makes a person snap and act this way. Maybe it's anger and frustration, and the need to show them what one can do. Who knows. The only thing I know for sure is that it's a tragedy for all concerned.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #38
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
JJ: I agree hun. The shooting is sad for all concerned. The victims, their families and also those who knew the gunman and his family.

Ren: our society seems driven to find a bad guy, to find a 'reason' why someone does something like that, so we can make some sense of it - (you know the old 2+2=5). I did see something about the gunman having autism on a social media site and I was furious that anyone would be making that link early on in the investigations. It's so much more than that, that makes a person snap and act this way. Maybe it's anger and frustration, and the need to show them what one can do. Who knows. The only thing I know for sure is that it's a tragedy for all concerned.
FB,

You know, I read the news sometimes and I find myself wondering what happened to humanity. You get one guy shooting up little children in Connecticut, a hate crime in PA involving 84-90 year old Mennonite ladies tied up and attacked with a stun gun, and then some obviously mentally disturbed lady in St. Louis who made her 13-year-old sneak up and tie his sister's dog to the back of her ex-husband's truck and the poor guy unknowingly almost drug the poor little doggie to death. And all the ex did was give his daughter a puppy!. And then you get the blamers trying to pin this on autistic people, etc. (and that makes me mad because I used to teach autistic children back when I taught art, and I know that's a "line of b-u-l-l").

You know, I hate to say this, but it really brings home the point made by John Ciardi when he wrote:

"Pithecantropus erectus,
could he see us,
would reject us."
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #39
Andrias

Our good friends of the Westboro Baptist Church are (of course) apt to sink their teeth into this tragedy and cause insult-to-injury for the victims.

http://www.inquisitr.com/440355/west...-for-shooting/

I just pray the residents of Newtown, CT find the courage to drive 18" iron stakes through the base of each....one...of....their...skulls.... PERIOD.
Andrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrias View Post
Our good friends of the Westboro Baptist Church are (of course) apt to sink their teeth into this tragedy and cause insult-to-injury for the victims.

I just pray the residents of Newtown, CT find the courage to drive 18" iron stakes through the base of each....one...of....their...skulls.... PERIOD.
The Westboro Baptist "Church" isn't a real church anyway. They're just a bunch of hatemongers with a title. They are, however, not the only haters out there, unfortunately. Read in the news today that one of the churches, where 10 of the little children went, has been threatened twice, once on Saturday where some jerk signed a poster in honor of the victims with "This is just round one", and today where a mourning service was disrupted with a threatening phone call. (The caller allegedly stated that his "friend" had not finished the job, and then threatened to "kill everyone" in the church, which had to be evacuated). Can you believe that? These poor folks have been through enough already, and now they aren't even to be allowed to mourn? Just makes me wish I could leave the human race behind and go find another species.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #41
Deadmanwalking_05

Thoughnone will listen to what I have to say on this issue I feel the need to say what is on my mind.

Get rid of the gun-free zones,allow teachers and other members of the staff to carry on school grounds either openly or if they have a C.C.W. (Same goes for sutdents that are of age to have a C.C.W permitt)

Because case after case has shown that gun free zones only aid the sick bastards that want to open fire on disarmed innocent people.

Gun Control isn't the answer to this problem.

Stricter gun regulations aren't the answer to this problem.

Let the people have the choice to defend themselves and you will see a positive change.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #42
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
FB,

You know, I read the news sometimes and I find myself wondering what happened to humanity. You get one guy shooting up little children in Connecticut, a hate crime in PA involving 84-90 year old Mennonite ladies tied up and attacked with a stun gun, and then some obviously mentally disturbed lady in St. Louis who made her 13-year-old sneak up and tie his sister's dog to the back of her ex-husband's truck and the poor guy unknowingly almost drug the poor little doggie to death. And all the ex did was give his daughter a puppy!. And then you get the blamers trying to pin this on autistic people, etc. (and that makes me mad because I used to teach autistic children back when I taught art, and I know that's a "line of b-u-l-l").

You know, I hate to say this, but it really brings home the point made by John Ciardi when he wrote:

"Pithecantropus erectus,
could he see us,
would reject us."
Indeed. But you have to believe in the good. In love, not in all the angry and blaming that humans do. If you do not believe in the good, then you just get caught up in the angry and intolerant mob, and that makes one no better off then those that are being bad mouthed.

And those issues that you mentioned - they have always happened. It's just that now we can access that news a lot easier. I tend to tune out of the bad stuff, because we are all capable of bad things, yet doing something good and worthwhile, well that takes a whole lot more courage and determination.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #43
BourbonBoy

So far this is the best article I've read regarding that nut. Sad that American journalists haven't looked into it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-collapse.html
Old 12-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #44
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
So far this is the best article I've read regarding that nut. Sad that American journalists haven't looked into it.
So on top of whatever inherent health problems he may have had, there's a good chance he was raised in a fucked environment, where apparently firearms were fetishized as the way to survive 'the end of the world' and instilling an "us against everyone else in the entire world" mentality was just the usual order of things. That couldn't have possibly had any impact on his mental health.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #45
Saya

Quote:
I'd be a little wary of that article yet, Daily Mail is a tabloid. Most reputable news sites I'm seeing are wary to commit to that kind of info (She MAY have been a survivalist and prepper).
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #46
BourbonBoy

Didn't know about that. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #47
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrias View Post

Thought you'd be interested in this. Read it and said, "You go, guys!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...ef=mostpopular
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #48
Despanan

Quote:
A-deist. Sorry for the confusion
I don't think that's a thing

The word you're looking for is anti-theist.

Unless I've somehow completely missed something. Can you link Hitchens saying he's an a-diest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #49
BourbonBoy

Yeah, I'll look for the video. I can't remember which one so it will take another day or two.