Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #76
tears

I hate beer .. nasty smell as any other alchoholic drinks
tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #77
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
Guinness. THREAD CLOSED.
I pick this because it is the first of the guiness posts, but if you want a Stout - and I mean a stout that all other stouts call "Absolutely Fucking Stout," try to find St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (also called St Ambroise Noir). It is the stoutest stout that has ever stouted my taste buds. Also has a bucketload of iron in it, so for beer lovers who are anemic (and even anemic beer likers, you could probably get used to it), I think it's the way to go. It works better than the iron pills the doc gives out. Has much flavours of coffee and dark chocolate (both of which I despise, but I still count St Ambroise among my top 2 - tied with Aventinus - and I REALLY love beer)

Other than that, I like Aventinus by Sneider & Sohn for its richness and flavour. I *takes break for rabbit stew* like Warsteiner - they're a generally good brewery - but their Dunkel wheat beer is particularly good. Weihenstaphaner is excellent as well. I also like Caledonian 80/-, which has something of a long-standing reputation. St Peter's Ale is nice, organic, and comes in a bottle that makes one thing of medicine. The Hosten Brewery is a good one too, and they make a Maibock and a Festbock that I *really* like.
I also hope that the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) carries Black Witch in October (same people who make Hobgoblin), since it's something of a Halloween beer, tastes awesome and has an eminently displayable bottle.
Kilkenney is very good and a pub-favourite for me, with a very solid, fine, soft head and good flavour. Smithick's is a pub-fav for me as well, but I tend toward German and English beers when buying at the LCBO.
What started me on beer (despite my German heritage :P Germans are stereotypical beer drinkers), is Innis & Gunn. It's a Scottish beer that's done in old whiskey casks, and is a very good high-quality beginner beer. It has a good flavour, but none of that bitter, annoying aftertaste that the crappy beers like Labat and Budweiser (badweiser?) and such things try to reduce by making them comparable to sex in a canoe.

I also like Fruli and this raspberry beer that I just tried today (and may I say it is absolutely phenomenal with apple-cinnamon waffles), though I think of them as more desert beers, if such a concept exists. They are extremely om-nom-nom-nom, like Strawberry (or raspberry) Daquiry, but for people who want beer instead of cocktails.

Trappist beer is excellent, though a rare treat for me due to its price for small quantities. Chimay makes several good brews, and I have even seen it in largish bottles (in contrast to the usual Belgian - especially good Belgian - habbit of bottling in a smaller 1/3 litre bottle). I like to call Trappist beer "God-Beer," when suggesting to my friends that they try it, since God said "Make beer," so they spent 500 years perfecting it...

In any case, I really like trying new beers, and the LCBO has a decent rotation of them. As long as they bring back Black Witch for Halloween....

Wolfie: One drinks beer because one likes beer (unless one drinks Coors, Bud, Labat, or maybe even JR, though it's better than most super-cheap beers, and cheaper as well.
Pineapple Try buying the more expensive beers - they range from good to excellent. Just... drink less of them. I don't spend less than 2.50 Canadian dollars on a beer, unless it comes in 6-packs, the only one of which I get is St Ambroise Noir (though it is possible that you don't like beer). If you really want to like beer, just keep drinking good beer for a while, and you'll grow to like it soon enough.
Vidicated Jin Do you like black licorice? If you don't, that's probably a good reason why you don't like absinthe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
You fail. tencharacters
You are correct, my friend.

Must mention - First reply is a reply that pains my beer-loving heart.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #78
ape descendant

I certainly agree with you about Warsteiner.. and their dunkel is delicious.

My super awesome neighbor brought us some Konig Ludwig Weissbier, it was quite a treat. It was wheaty and refreshing, to say the least.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #79
ape descendant

I got to try this delicious Belgian beer, Lindemans Kriek Lambic tonight for the first time. It is a fruit beer, but it is done quite well, and ooooh mmm the black cherries... It think it makes for an excellent desert beer. Nom nom nom!!

Be Kind
Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #80
carakitty

My man is PO'd at me because I've drank all of our beer.
I don't know what to get him to make up for it.

Thanks for bringing this thread to life again in such a timely manner, AD! How did you ever know the predicament I was in?!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #81
ape descendant

Its the beer-force.

The beer-force connects us, it flows around us and through us.

Be Kind
Old 09-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #82
vindicatedxjin

I drank some miller last night bleh

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #83
ape descendant

Miller is disgusting... it's even worse than Coors.

If you want to drink a decent pilsner, try Pilsner Urquell. I think it is cool and refreshing.

Be Kind
Old 09-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #84
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
This thread needs to be moved to Wisconsin, we've got tons of microbreweries, and of course miller, pabst to name a few. We would have more if it wasnt for prohibition messing Wisconsin up.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #85
ape descendant

Heh heh... Colorado has plenty of microbreweries itself, O'dell, Breckenridge, Flying Dog, and many more... and of course we have our own domestic embarrassment, Coors.

Be Kind
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #86
carakitty

LOL One of my brothers is friends with The Mr. Coors's grand daughter =)
What's your favorite local brew, AD? (sorry if I missed it)
Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #87
ape descendant

That just depends... how local are we talkin? My favorite Colorado beers are a toss up between Sunshine Wheat and 90 Shilling Ale.

Be Kind
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #88
vindicatedxjin

Ape, you should ship me a different beer every week ^_^

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #89
TheFeatheredÆtheling

As far as Colorado beers go, have any of you ever drunk Avery's "Mephistopheles Stout". At around 16% alcohol, I think that this one is really more of a barley wine than a stout. It has an extremely rich, complex flavour and is definitely a "cold weather" drink. I've only had Mephistopheles once so far (it's bloody expensive and rare), but I loved it.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #90
LegendGirl

One of my favorite beers is Maudite from Unibroue in Quebec. Their other beers are excellent, too.
LegendGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #91
ape descendant

Their Salvation Ale is pretty tasty too. I saved the bottle because the label was soooo beautiful.

Be Kind
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #92
carakitty

Thanks for the suggestions.
It's been a slightly rough week, so the weekend might be designated for some drinking.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #93
Fruitbat

Cascade light on tap - yummy, for when it gets to 40 and I want a sip of the amber fluid.

I'm too embarrased to admit when I actually had my last beer.

This is why Tassie beer is the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94syGYcdGcU

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #94
Raptor

I quite like Kölsch. They serve it in 0.1 or 0.2L glasses to make sure it stays at the right temperature in the time it takes to drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
If you want to drink a decent pilsner
Or Staropramen, mmm.

Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #95
ape descendant

So, Boulder Beer company puts out this delicious beer called "Sweaty Betty".... it tastes just like it sounds... yummy hottie.

There's an after taste that is not entirely unlike bananas. I likes it.

Be Kind
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #96
magnus13

ew irish wiskey. <shudders> I must quote a monty python sketch "if it's not scottish, it's crap.

I rarley drink alchohol, but appreciate a good single malt scotch.

if I want to drink a beer though, I want a stout.
magnus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #97
DarkestSunrise

"So, Boulder Beer company puts out this delicious beer called "Sweaty Betty".... it tastes just like it sounds... yummy hottie.

There's an after taste that is not entirely unlike bananas. I likes it."

I don't know if they named it that because of the song... but there's a song called "Sweaty Betty" by a band named the Macc Lads. They were a punk band someone I knew liked when we were teenagers. Stupid purposefully offensive lyrics and whatnot.

Last edited by DarkestSunrise; 10-11-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: quoted text was not properly shown
DarkestSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #98
ape descendant

Yes!! Music and beer collide!!

Be Kind
Old 10-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #99
zes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
I got to try this delicious Belgian beer, Lindemans Kriek Lambic tonight for the first time. It is a fruit beer, but it is done quite well, and ooooh mmm the black cherries... It think it makes for an excellent desert beer. Nom nom nom!!
I prefer their framboise one, though I bought a bottle a few weeks ago and it tasted a little more sour than I remembered :/

I'm personally a huge fan of drinking at the breweries' bar, almost every fresh beers taste so much better than their bottled counterparts.
I actually really love paulaner Munich dark on tap but their bottled beer truly disappointed me.

Slightly off topic, one of my friends once told me this:
safi: drinking American beer is like having sex in a canoe
zes: ??? WTF?
safi: fucking close to water

I love that guy lol
zes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #100
Jonathan

Kirin Ichiban is pretty much a go-to anytime. Loves me some Japanese beer.

Other than that, I'm pretty fortunate to get access to lots of decent microbrews due to my near incessant wandering, so I'm always finding crazy things. Which works, because I have eclectic taste.

One place [http://therunofthemill.net/ in Saco, ME] had a pretty solid selection, their Tarbox Cream Stout was the winner and set the new standard for smooth.

The Portsmouth Brewery [http://www.portsmouthbrewery.com/] had a Hefeweizen that had such a prominent banana flavor I half-expected to need to peel my next one.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote