Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #351
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci View Post
Yes, I do realize that, and I'm too tired to sort you and Desp and Kontan out. The last part especially is directed at all three of you.
You are such a goddamn idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #352
Despanan

Quote:
HAHAHA. They didn't let him back on the street, but they did let him slurp noodles in the meantime, on the theory that no one deserves to go hungry.
Yeah, and what happens if after he's done, he chops through a few members, kicks down the doors, and murders a few more people?

Regardless of your religion, it's goddamn retarded to "feed an axe murder" before you call the cops on him.

Quote:
Why is it inherently dishonest for me to be indifferent to other people's personal religious views? I hold the opinion that their private brain is their business. If I truly am indifferent, would it not be more dishonest to be a busy-body and get in people's face about it?
But then what am I doing in this thread? Do I like the drama? Am I offended at how you're expounding your views? How strongly you're expounding your views? Do I just think you're fighting a battle you'll never win (at least not completely)? In that case, again, why do I care?
Already been answered. Read the thread.

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah, blah blah...Honestly, I think it's a mixed bag.
Yes, as do I. However, it's a mixed bag which is filled with candy and cobras. We already have candy out here, so why leave the cobra bag laying around?

Quote:
Do YOU know what condescending is? Or is your nose just so high in the air that you think we should feel honoured and blessed that you're paying attention to us at all, even if it is abuse and pats on the head?
Toots? Tell me that's not condescending, and I will tell you that the sky is sickly acid green. Both statements would be about as true.
Chill out toots. You're embarrassing yourself.
Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #353
KontanKarite

Quote:
HAHAHA. They didn't let him back on the street, but they did let him slurp noodles in the meantime, on the theory that no one deserves to go hungry.
Fine.

Quote:
I suppose the vast majority of religious charities at least hope for conversions... I know the Salvation Army does, but I don't think they push for it.
Whatever. They hope for converts BEFORE the charity.

Quote:
Why is it inherently dishonest for me to be indifferent to other people's personal religious views? I hold the opinion that their private brain is their business. If I truly am indifferent, would it not be more dishonest to be a busy-body and get in people's face about it?
But then what am I doing in this thread? Do I like the drama? Am I offended at how you're expounding your views? How strongly you're expounding your views? Do I just think you're fighting a battle you'll never win (at least not completely)? In that case, again, why do I care?
You SHOULD care. Yeah, it'd be fucking amazing if people actually DID indeed internalize their faiths so that we can just see it as a minor character flaw of that person, BUT THESE RELIGIONS DEMAND YOU EXTERNALIZE YOUR VIEWS and it's inherently DISHONEST to be soft about these sorts of demands. You have to understand, WE didn't pick this fight. A theists' book of ethics and standards picked this fight a long time ago.

Quote:
Honesty...
Honestly, I think fanatical religion is ridiculous, but religion in general is just not an issue for me unless they try to pull me in. I have my head buried in my own piece of sand (Art), thank you very much. Stubornly using the Bible to explain the physical world around us, especially when we've come so far with science, is absurd. It's not necessary as a moral guide, since most people *can* reason out the basics of day-to-day good interactions, but for some things and for some people, it can be helpful. It can remind them of things like charity, loving thy neighbour, not judging. Any bigotry it propagates is reprehensible, but any good it propagates is better than nothing. Rather extreme case: if a person doesn't become an axe murderer because they're afraid God will say "Naughty naughty person," it's better than having an axe murderer. Like anything big, though, religion in general has good aspects and bad aspects.
Honestly, I think it's a mixed bag.
And that means it's about the same as RAT POISON. Just because it helps a little bit RIGHT NOW doesn't mean we should be silent and let these damaging superstitions perpetuate into the next generation just because it's fucking polite.

Quote:
Do YOU know what condescending is? Or is your nose just so high in the air that you think we should feel honoured and blessed that you're paying attention to us at all, even if it is abuse and pats on the head?
Toots? Tell me that's not condescending, and I will tell you that the sky is sickly acid green. Both statements would be about as true.
Toots... I'll call you toots if I damn well feel like it. I don't have to respect your personal sense of entitlement. You're just an asshole to me. Why should I stop calling you toots just because it bothers you? You think I want to be your friend or something, TOOTS?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #354
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Let's agree to disagree, let's agree to think each other is fucking insane and completely out of place and totally off the mark with our comments.
Agreeing to disagree is bullshit. If you were sitting in math class and your told your teacher that 2+2 was 5, he wouldn't say: "let's agree to disagree" he'd tell you you were wrong and correct you. You do not have a right to your opinion. You do not have the right to never be confronted on your retarded ideas.

You thought you were going to come into this thread, and say something snarky and condescending and not have to back up your position. You thought you were going to be able to invalidate our position by fallaciously dismissing it. You thought you'd be able to get away without answering for yourself. You were wrong.

And now you're trying desperately to save face. I won't let you.

Sorry, you messin' wit REAL niggas in here. you picked a fight with someone much, much smarter than yourself, and now you're going to have to deal with that. I am content to verbally beat you into the floor until you either admit you were wrong, or your tiny mind snaps from the strain: your choice babe.

There will be no "agreeing to disagree", there will be no quarter given.

I am right, intelligent, and attractive. You are wrong, stupid and probably fairly ugly.

This is fact. Now admit it, and you can get on with your life. Continue to deny reality and watch how crazy things get.

...You see, we're really not the monsters you think we are. We're just ahead of the curve.
Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #355
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
You do not have a right to your opinion.
Nah. Everyone is entitled to their own individual opinions. But no one is entitled to their own individual truths
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #356
Catch

Quote:
Agreeing to disagree is bullshit. If you were sitting in math class and your told your teacher that 2+2 was 5, he wouldn't say: "let's agree to disagree" he'd tell you you were wrong and correct you. You do not have a right to your opinion. You do not have the right to never be confronted on your retarded ideas.

You thought you were going to come into this thread, and say something snarky and condescending and not have to back up your position. You thought you were going to be able to invalidate our position by fallaciously dismissing it. You thought you'd be able to get away without answering for yourself. You were wrong.

Sorry, you messin' wit REAL niggas in here. you picked a fight with someone much, much smarter than yourself, and now you're going to have to deal with that. I am content to verbally beat you into the floor until you either admit you were wrong, or your tiny mind snaps from the strain: your choice babe.

I am right, intelligent, and attractive. You are wrong, stupid and probably fairly ugly.

This is fact. Now admit it, and you can get on with your life. Continue to deny reality and watch how crazy things get.

...You see, we're really not the monsters you think we are. We're just ahead of the curve.
So.... were you molested by a priest?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #357
KontanKarite

Catch, every time you say something, it's like you're coming in to take a SHIT on the floor right in the middle of polite society.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #358
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Nah. Everyone is entitled to their own individual opinions. But no one is entitled to their own individual truths
Actually, no they're not.

Also: It's an informal logical fallacy
Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #359
Alan

You're right. They would be entitled to it if an opinion were merely a judgment call, but an opinion can be any statement.
A judgment call by definition requires even the most minimal evaluation of at least a bit of information. An opinion does not need this.
real classy
Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #360
KontanKarite

Alan, you'd just be making the argument against people feeling entitled to their opinion in a debate even stronger.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #361
KontanKarite

Actually, I kind of wanted to bring this up:

This... is a lie. There's only one way this can be possible. To make all faiths completely and utterly socially irrelevant and even then, on paper, this is rather offensive. I can not stand this mantra. Not because I want there to be violence between the faiths, but because this mantra flies directly in the face of every single religion. It's dishonest and passive aggressive. In fact, it compounds the superstitious lies in an even greater lie because they can't all be right and this implies that all religions should permit other religions to exist. That's one of the most dishonest and cowardly actions I can imagine, really. I wish this were something that can be true. But read their scriptures. All of them claim to be the ultimate truth and no one else. Hell, even if all of them but ONE didn't claim that they were the ultimate truth, this would still be a big ugly lie.

And what's creepy is that I think a lot of you are pretty damned okay with this kind of lie. That truth means nothing in the face of politeness. That challenging ideas at risk of offending someone is somehow WORSE than practicing this mantra. It's disgusting.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #362
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't think you know what condescending means.
*sigh*

It's got more than four letters doesn't it? I don't know what words with more than four letters mean.

Except supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus which really is quite atrocious.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #363
KontanKarite

Quote:
*sigh*

It's got more than four letters doesn't it? I don't know what words with more than four letters mean.

Except supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus which really is quite atrocious.
Yo, bitch. Why don't you address me? I'm the one that said that.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #364
Alan

You said "And you guys aren't being condescending towards me?"
That's verbatim.
You're saying we were condescending towards you. We weren't. We we blatantly mocking you. No backdoor insults. No passive aggressive bullshit. Just open and unambiguous antagonism. That is the opposite of being condescending.
real classy
Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #365
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Actually, I kind of wanted to bring this up:

This... is a lie. There's only one way this can be possible. To make all faiths completely and utterly socially irrelevant and even then, on paper, this is rather offensive. I can not stand this mantra. Not because I want there to be violence between the faiths, but because this mantra flies directly in the face of every single religion. It's dishonest and passive aggressive. In fact, it compounds the superstitious lies in an even greater lie because they can't all be right and this implies that all religions should permit other religions to exist. That's one of the most dishonest and cowardly actions I can imagine, really. I wish this were something that can be true. But read their scriptures. All of them claim to be the ultimate truth and no one else. Hell, even if all of them but ONE didn't claim that they were the ultimate truth, this would still be a big ugly lie.

And what's creepy is that I think a lot of you are pretty damned okay with this kind of lie. That truth means nothing in the face of politeness. That challenging ideas at risk of offending someone is somehow WORSE than practicing this mantra. It's disgusting.
What's wrong with violence between faiths? It's totally okay.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #366
Fruitbat

Quote:

You are not the first person i've met who has got a thrill out of beating me. In fact I'm over men who think they can bully others into their way of thinking because they are 'right'.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #367
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Yo, bitch. Why don't you address me? I'm the one that said that.
*sigh* I already did and I'm leaving you kids to your playground.

Go and find someone else to pick on.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #368
KontanKarite

Whatever, hag.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #369
KontanKarite

Quote:
You are not the first person i've met who has got a thrill out of beating me. In fact I'm over men who think they can bully others into their way of thinking because they are 'right'.
Over men? Men? What do you mean? You sound kinda sexist, bitch.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #370
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
What's wrong with violence between faiths? It's totally okay.
Well.... now that you mention it...

Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #371
Despanan

Quote:
You misunderstand. I'm not interested in getting you to agree with me. I don't think you even have the capacity to fully understand our argument.

I'm just gonna verbally spank you until you learn not to try this passive aggressive bullshit near me.

Also: Fuck you for implying I'm anything like some asshole who slapped you around. I'm some douche making fun of you in a goth forum, not "Lester after he's had a few beers". The fact that you would use a traumatic experience like domestic abuse in order to score points in an INTERNET FLAME WAR, is frankly sickening.

You can't use your fucked up life as a weapon. I will not allow you to hold me or anyone else emotionally hostage.
Quote:
Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #372
Fruitbat

Quote:
You misunderstand. I'm not interested in getting you to agree with me. I don't think you even have the capacity to fully understand our argument.

I'm just gonna verbally spank you until you learn not to try this passive aggressive bullshit near me.

Also: Fuck you for implying I'm anything like some asshole who slapped you around. I'm some douche making fun of you in a goth forum, not "Lester after he's had a few beers". The fact that you would use a traumatic experience like domestic abuse in order to score points in an INTERNET FLAME WAR, is frankly sickening.

You can't use your fucked up life as a weapon. I will not allow you to hold me or anyone else emotionally hostage.
No you ain't lester the molester, but you mis-interpreted the word beaten. And I feel all kinda special that you have read my other posts.

Internet flame war huh? Sounds like a good 'un.

Still think your whackas but.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #373
Raptor

You guys might like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kuzY...eature=related

As I remember, it's Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry arguing that Catholicism's net effect on the world has been a negative one. Although it could have used some stronger speakers on the religious side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I'm not saying they still wouldn't if they just lost their faith entirely, I'm just saying that religious people tend to be more charitable, this is true, because the religious community is geared towards that. You're throwing the baby out with the bath water if you think that just because a charity is religious its inferior to a secular group, religious charities are depended on very much in other places, give credit where credit is due.
That doesn't address what I said at all. I didn't really mean people who lost their faith. That seems to imply a sudden change and nobody is talking about that. Imagine a future where there is no religion due to slow decline - I'm pretty sure this was what the others were talking about. You sounded like you were arguing that this future world would be worse off because there would be less charity. I don't think "less charity" is a reasonable conclusion to draw from the present day situation. In any case, the net effect of religion on the world is not solely based on its charity.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #374
Despanan

Quote:
No you ain't lester the molester, but you mis-interpreted the word beaten. And I feel all kinda special that you have read my other posts.

Internet flame war huh? Sounds like a good 'un.

Still think your whackas but.
My god...you're like a more responsive, version of Catch.
Quote:
Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #375
vindicatedxjin

Des is owning this thread. The end.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote