Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #101
Murder.Of.Crows

Wow, seems so legendary. I feel like i would walk into a bar and find an elderly scruffy man sitting alone in a corner sipping on mead, even though i don't think anyone sells mead in America anymore, eventually finding myself being told the old legends of Gods and men of Gothic.net.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #102
KontanKarite

Nothin' legendary 'bout it. ...Buncha dipshits beefin'.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #103
carakitty

None the less, Kontan, I'm glad this thread got rezzed and that HP started it. A lovely and interesting read for another attack of insomnia.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #104
Still Jack

There's a lot missing off the end of this. Like the Helpmann/ETS trollwars and the resulting carnage with people like Shade and a couple of others here and there nobbing off. There's a lot of Duck missing in the timeline too. Weren't there a bunch of bannings after he posted a picture of a shit he took ?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #105
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
Didn't they cuss out e_e for being conservative, though?
No, young maggot. I was never wholly cussed out for my conservative ideologies. Granted, I had a beef or two with various members who didn't agree with my thoughts / ideas / pontifications - but overall, there were no hard feelings between myself and other members. The closest it came to outright head-to-head was between Sternn and myself in the POLITICS forum. Sternn and I (as well as Binky) were at polar opposite stations regarding our world views and likely remain there today - but I hope it was clear throughout that whole period that I respected Sternn and his views, even if I couldn't possibly agree with any of them, or at least very few of them. Now that think about it, I believe Sternn and I saw eye-to-eye on a fragile few points.

And I remember when you first joined. How skittish and unsure of yourself you were back then. I believe it was you and a friend of yours from school who joined at the same time. It's good to see (from browsing the forums recently) how you've grown into your person and exude a much more confidant persona today. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Oh and I don't think you have the right reason why Xng was banned cuz that whole harassment thing happened months before she was banned (if I remember correctly it had nothing to do with anyone who was underage it had something to do with DCreep harassing/stalking Teapot to the point where he was banned and I believe she got a restraining order but the admins wouldn't ban his ip address so he just kept coming back with different screennames).
I'd forgotten about DCREEP. That was pretty fucked up.

And Teapot and Granny. Both of them were such individuals who, when together, created a whirlwind of animated personality. I hope and wish Teapot has made it to France at this point in her life for she so wished and wanted to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Also I didn't remember anyone having a problem with e_e, I think you were thinking of Al (he went way overboard and started abusing his powers when he was made into a mod by targeting anyone who didn't have the same (ultra)conservative views that he did)
And I'll go out on a limb (rather back-patting limb, all told) to say that you're correct. Aside from one blow-out I had with a couple of members from Pakistan, there were no hard feelings anywhere from myself outward or from outward, radiating back to me.

And the blow out was discussed and settled, which is necessary amongst people who are, above all else, human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin View Post
So....let me get this straight; some people questioned the adminstration and got the boot for it?
No, sir. That is a much too simplistic attempt at summarizing the past happenings on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Nothin' legendary 'bout it. ...Buncha dipshits beefin'.
Hahaha. Kontan - you hit the fuckin' nail square on the fuckin' head. Well done.

I hung my mod hat on the coat rack many years ago and walked away to seek out other forums for the sheer faceless shits-and-giggles quality that only the internet can offer to humanity. Lots of really decent souls have come and gone from this place. And some, not so decent. HP captured quite a bit of the cliff notes regarding the past here, as clarified by GNET admin.

Anyway, I'll offer some of my own reflections if anyone really wants to hear them - but the reality is this... it's an internet forum. People come and go. Some people who come wind up having a vested interest in the forum and find a comfortable place they can call "home". Some people don't. That's life, both in the face-to-face world and here on the internet. Those who have a vested interest in this place, in GNET today, are the ones who keep these forums alive. And I think that's important for one main reason - it provides a platform to express oneself where one may not feel comfortable doing so anywhere else.

So, to those of us who were here many years ago and have gone - cheers. To those who were here many years ago and for you who decided to stick around - cheers. To those of you who weren't here many years ago but are here now to continue to make this place the captivating and comfortable and alive place it is today - fantastic, and cheers again.

GNET owns an absolutely unique corner of the internet, in my opinion - that of the merging of the hardcore goth culture (like Sternn) with those who wouldn't consider themselves outright goth, although goth-like traits are recognizable in our personalities (like myself) to everyone else in-between.

And I extend a thank you to those who have bade me a warm welcome since I've started poking around inside these walls again. For an old man such as myself, it's much appreciated.

HP - you've truly exemplified what a member in good standing would exemplify for all when it comes to a forum member who appreciates a forum for what it is and what it has to offer. You truly give as much of yourself as you can to make the virtual realm you occupy "real". Well done.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #106
Draconysius

Wow, that's odd. I must have been here longer than I thought; I remember talking to Xnguela way back when, even had her on IM. I don't remember witnessing any of that "mutiny" stuff though, which might be for the best.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #107
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye View Post

HP - you've truly exemplified what a member in good standing would exemplify for all when it comes to a forum member who appreciates a forum for what it is and what it has to offer. You truly give as much of yourself as you can to make the virtual realm you occupy "real". Well done.
WOW! Reading that coming from a legend like you just made my ego inflate like the Big Bang!

Thanks man. I guess I haven't given much lately though, it has been ages since I made another video or posted a new story. Time to roll up the sleeves and have some fun!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #108
A Simple Poet

Ah. A GNet history. I read the first post and was delighted that HumanePain orchestrated a structure to the madness that sort of disenchanted me from this site. I'd like to say I'm truly back just as much as I'd like to say I'm truly Goth, but I'm truly not convinced of either ... yet.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #109
FistsofFury

Good read! Thank you HumanePain and thank to the other salty dogs that contributed!

But what else happened? How many G.net meetups have there been? Marriages?
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #110
Saya

How many meetups there have been depends on how many people are required for it to be officially a meetup.

I'm actually not sure how many relationships let alone marriages have occurred after meeting on gnet, now that I think of it. There were more partners on the board back in the day but I never knew if they met through here or not.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #111
Class-Punk

If I didn't feel the need to spread Dark Indie throughout different Alt boards I probably would've never joined here. I had lurked around here maybe a few years earlier periodically, and it always struck me as place full of flame wars and people generally ganging up on and attacking each other in an irrational, over-emotional fashion. However it is a site revolving around Gothic Fiction, and though I don't necessarily care much for straight-up Horror, I love Gothic literary elements and the hypocritical and corrupting influence of Lord Henry Wotton.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #112
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
There's a lot missing off the end of this. Like the Helpmann/ETS trollwars and the resulting carnage with people like Shade and a couple of others here and there nobbing off. There's a lot of Duck missing in the timeline too. Weren't there a bunch of bannings after he posted a picture of a shit he took ?

Yeah. I remember this thread in all it's glory. Too bad about the banninations. Shit was hilarious, and people that complained and got their panties in a twist just need to learn to ignore shit they don't like.

Damn, I do miss Ducky. That guy was the life of the party.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #113
Grausamkeit

I miss e_e

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #114
GothicNerd

Wow, I didn't know this site went through so much and had been around so long. Back when all that was happening, I was an insecure 13 year old who didn't even know what goth was(the name for the dark stuff I liked at least).

A lot of goth forums are dead now except for this place and Goth.net. Even though Goth.net has more depth and maturity in their discussions from what I've seen by lurking(I didn't join), it's at the cost of being extremely strict. I knew that if I had joined, I would have had to censor myself because they really don't like anything that's even slightly negative. The condescending attitude of the Admins/Mods especially when locking a topic also rubbed me the wrong way(and can be really intimidating if your new to forums in general).

I'm liking this forum so far. It seems pretty laid back and no censorship(I hate how in most forums, goth or not, no cursing is allowed. Is it so hard to just warn people in advance and if they can't handle it, then leave?). It's at the cost of less depth and maturity, but I've come to treat the cyber world like the real world: dig through all the idiots and/or assholes until I find the cool people who make it all worth it in the end.

I really hope this doesn't sound like sucking up because I despise those types of people.
GothicNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #115
CuckooTuli

No, I know what you mean. I like that we're sort of left alone here, too. I think that if we had mods - especially participating mods - a lot of the arguments would get settled sooner. Which would be a shame, since they have a way of working themselves out and starting some good discussions.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #116
AshleyO

Is there really anything worth handing out a proverbial beatdown on anymore? I'm thinking about retiring myself. Upon reflection, I was a mean asshole and I'm surprised anyone found that shit palatable. I'm thinking about exile.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote