Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #426
WolfMoon

Goth is about more than attitude, Crow. Do some research.

Twisted, I know that the sizes of Tripp jeans do run small. I'm a size 8, but my Tripps are 11. I don't wear them baggy, I hate that look.

Funny, the first thing I thought when putting the pants on was "Geez, I fit into a size 11? I need to lose some weight." I wish manufacturers would think of the effect it has on women when they decide to run their clothing lines smaller than normal. It could really be damaging to people who struggle with their weight.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #427
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Twisted, I know that the sizes of Tripp jeans do run small. I'm a size 8, but my Tripps are 11. I don't wear them baggy, I hate that look.

Funny, the first thing I thought when putting the pants on was "Geez, I fit into a size 11? I need to lose some weight." I wish manufacturers would think of the effect it has on women when they decide to run their clothing lines smaller than normal. It could really be damaging to people who struggle with their weight.
Ok, I'm not nuts...I really dislike that, my sizes are large enough numbers as it is, when I have to go up because a brand runs small, it's not exactly an ego booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I don't understand why guys sizes make more sense than ours.

Seriously, I want pants that fit my waist, my hips (and by hips I mean ass, because I have no hips but I got a badunkadunk!), AND my inseam.

Please?
First of all, I love the use of the word "badunkadunk" it cracked me up. cute.

Secondly, guys sizes do make sense...I like them so much better.

You know what else is buggy...guy's shoe sizes, and girl's shoe sizes...why!? Are they just trying to confuse crossdressers or what, 'cause I really don't see the point of either case...

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #428
TwistedKitsune

yup, I think many of us females would...silly guys who don't care get the pants that make sense, and we're stuck comprimising with our pants

Pants: it's either gonna fit your ass, your waist, or your legs, you gotta pick one...you can't have all three, so pick you silly female

Me: But why should I have to pick...

Pants: because the marketing/manufacturing world says so, now find something you're moderately happy with but will be forced to both alter and constantly wear a belt with, and be happy already!

stupid pants...

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #429
bunnicula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi
Lmfao, that made me laugh.

I have an they are talking about something like this...

http://www.hottopic.com/store/produc...=216342&RN=136

I just took it from hot topic's website (seemed appropriate as this thread is about hot topic)
Wait- is that a Skort? or a skirt? I'm confused. Are skorts back in fashion?
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #430
bunnicula

I think hot topic is in Junior's sizes, which is smaller than Women's. I have tried on pants there, and they are made for no-ass-havin' 13 year olds! The waist and hips are the same size, and the inseams are the same length whether it is a 3 or an 11. Hot topic is mass-produced, overpriced crap- the Wal-Mart of the goth world. (but they have cool t shirts sometimes)
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #431
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow13666
Almost everything I wear is from Hot Topic, and honestly I don't care if it is mainstream or "fake". You see, unlike a lot of people in this world, I wear what I like, and if that makes me look "less goth" than someone else so be it. I don't really care. If you ask me Goth is more or less about the attitude. Anyone can dress goth, or claim to be goth but unless you have the attitude your just nothing. .
------------------------------------------------------------------
Horrorgirl replies:
I haven't posted on here in a while but I felt the need to after reading your opus on nonconformity. I have no problem with you shopping at Hot Topic because that is your choice. What exactly is a goth attitude that all of you angsty teens keep going on and on about?I have dipped in and out of the subculture for the last 20 years and I can safely say that there is no goth attitude. The only people who go on and on about an 'attitude' are angsty teens who have gotten all of their information about the subculture from the mainstream media.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
If the world starts wearing the same clothes as me, I'm not going to change my style, I'll still have my attitude to seperate me from the masses.In the end its attitude that determines who we are, not style of dress. .
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Horrorgirl replies:
You have the SAME EXACT attitude as millions of other angsty teens. The only thing that makes you any different from the rest is the fact that you yourself think that you are different from them. You are not.

Quote:
I hope you all realize that if Goth becomes the "cool thing" and you change who you are becuase of it, then you were never goth to begin with. If you truely belong to a group you will stick with it no matter what. Lets not let the impossible battle against mainstream destroy who we are. .
---------------------------------------------------------------
Horrorgirl replies:
Goth HAS become the 'next cool thing' for angsty teens to 'become'. You are a case in point. I have dropped out of the subculture mainly because it has become a steaming pile of poo filled with uninformed, angsty, immature people such as yourself.Battle against the mainstream? That sounds like more uninformed mainstream media tripe. I don not want to 'stick' with people like you, thank you very much.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Goth has always been a collection of individuals that aren't afriad to express themselves freely. If our subculture becomes mainstream, It will be our self expression that will seperate us from those who act like us to be "cool". Anyway all these things are trivial subjects, in the end none of this bickering gets us anywhere. We only can go where we allow ourselves to go. So if you chose to change you fall behind those of us that know who we are..
--------------------------------------------------------------
Horrorgirl replies:
It has become mainstream kid. The subculture is nothing like it used to be. While there are some cool people in it they make up a small minority. A whole lot of people particpating in it these days think it's some sort of rebellion against the evils of society. It's not. So, being goth makes you better than people that aren't? No it doesn't kid. Not only is that an arrogant attitude it is just plain silly. You have no idea who you are...AT ALL.
Quote:
I can not stress enough that those of us who express our opinions without fear of being critisized, are better than those who censor themselves to conform with everyone else. They only censor themselves so thy may aviod confrontation becuase they want everyone to like them. I say, I am who I am, and you can like me for it or hate me, either way its your choice..
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Horrorgirl replies:
You are not better than anybody else. You say that you are not afriad of being criticized and yet you don't want people to publicly respond to your post. You are acting passive/agressive which is exactly how every other arrogant angsty stereotypical goth acts. Good job at being an individual.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
In short terms, To be an individual, simply be yourself. Even if that means dressing in hollister and abercrombie, I for one shall not judge you for it, so long as you are comfortable for who you are. Those of you fighting mainstream should realize that being yourself is the ultimate way of fighting mainstream becuase no one will ever be as unique as you..
Horrorgirl replies:
You tell people to be themselvs in order to be an individual and yet you are conforming to stereotypes in order to be 'goth'. How ironic. Here we go again about fighting the mainstream. Get over that already. I didn't get into the subculture because of that, I got into because of the music. Plain and simple. The fact that I met other people just as messed up as me was an added plus. The people I met back then had actual problems such as suffering abuse or being homeless. They weren't a group of twats going on and on about how bad they have it because they are fighting the mainstream.You are as unique as every other bratty, arrogant, self proclaimed goth that I have encountered on the internet and in real life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
if you want to send me feedback on this message send me a private message. I feel public confrontations to be in poor taste, as people often call in others to back them up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Horrorgirl replies:
Oh HELL NO. If you don't want to hear replies that you don't like then don't post anything to begin with. Yet more passive'agressive behaviour. Grow the hell up.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #432
horrorgirl

Quote:
Horrorgirl, I have missed you!

Does this mean you're back for good?
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately when it comes to the subculture and I have decided to drop completely out of it. I will still listen to the music, watch horror movies, etc..., but I don't see myself ever going to a club again or 'dressing up'. In fact I have been thinking about getting rid of a lot of my clothes. *sigh* I have come to the realization that I really don't have anything in common with most of the people participating in the subculture these days. I like a lot of you on here so can I be the board's disgruntled ex-goth? ;-)

Old 03-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #433
horrorgirl

Cool! HA!

I missed this place.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #434
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
I like a lot of you on here so can I be the board's disgruntled ex-goth? ;-)
Works for me. ^^

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #435
winged_dreams

Quote:
I don't understand why guys sizes make more sense than ours.

Seriously, I want pants that fit my waist, my hips (and by hips I mean ass, because I have no hips but I got a badunkadunk!), AND my inseam.

Please?
Girls pants are so crazy. I have short legs and sort of thick tighs. Sometimes I have to get pants a size larger just so I can get them over my legs and they are always too long. It stinks.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:16 AM   #436
AbelTheLiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Dressing in a skirt... Hmm... What do you mean by a skirt, there are many types. I ain't dressing in a miniskirt, if that's what you mean.

Oh, and by the way: I'm back!
Mini-skirt = bad (free funky nutz peepshow -.-), I was thinking more like Heavy-red, or depending on how you look, Attelier boz. The later is really expensive as it's Japanese. Ok, I'll avoid saying anything else "questionable" as I am sure I need to go Japan to avoid getting weird reactions from people in general.

Funny thing every time I check these fashion threads, I keep getting the impression that no one looks favorably on the all the interesting shit that I thought made the style so unique to begin with. I mean all I hear on this is that Goth has gone poser, or black lipstick is really lame, or something else that makes me feel like I'm left out of something. That or full of shit to begin with. In fact no one seems to be able to say what goth even is. I am not asking "What is goth?" like an idiot, I just want to know, "How long until everyone is running around a) naked or b) looking like normal people. Granted there is a big rift between posers and true, but if you crap on everything because kids decided they wanted to emulate, where does the culture go? I guess the point is I'm still a bit new to fashion culture, and am trying figure how not to get called lame or fake. I don't really care as I can always say piss off and quit posting ( some would prefer I do just that) but I am actually curious.

Ok, the short of this is I really need research my arguments and not post when I am starting to stop thinking correctly.
AbelTheLiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:09 AM   #437
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
Girls pants are so crazy. I have short legs and sort of thick tighs. Sometimes I have to get pants a size larger just so I can get them over my legs and they are always too long. It stinks.
Yeah! What is it with the people who make pants? They seem to think that when you grow laterally, you must also grow vertically. If only that were true...

As it is, I've become rather skilled at hemming. I'm convinced that the Pants People only make pants for people who are hipless, buttless, and have abnormally long legs (which I am not, and do not have).

Last edited by chloegoth; 03-22-2006 at 09:10 AM. Reason: oops! read xnguela's post.
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #438
chloegoth

Quote:
Well, I'm hipless with long legs... But pants still don't fit me. They're just not made to fit people.
Ah, but you have a - how did you put it - badunkadunk. There's the reason.

Pants are made for popsicle sticks.

Last edited by chloegoth; 03-22-2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #439
cinaria

Hehe, I have a big ass, too. I wear size 18 pants. I wasn't lying when I said I was chubby. It is hard to find clothes I like without having to get online and order them. I like corsets and it is sort of hard to find them off the rack when you have a rather large rack, hahahahahaha!
cinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #440
NyQuil of Doom

I'm kind of a ruler shape, so I couldn't get pants that fit at the natural waistline and have them look right even if I wanted to; they'd either be too tight in the waist, too baggy in the ass, or both.

I can wear a 3 or 5 in most lower rise pants though, depending on who makes them... not sure about any of the ones at Hot Topic since the only clothes I've ever bought there have been tops. (small or medium in the girls' tops depending on the top, small in the guys' T-shirts, if you were curious.)
Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 PM   #441
NyQuil of Doom

Pants fit me, as long as they're not made for an hourglass figure. I'm usually fine with junior's sizes since they're made for a straighter figure and tend to have a lower rise. I can't stand pants that fit at my natural waist anyway.

Mens' pants fit me quite well too, if I can find a 28x34 or 29x34. Pants that are -supposed- to be baggy in the ass, or pants with a bit of stretch to the material also work fine for me.

I'm only a bit over 5'6", just that all my height is in my legs.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #442
DemureDemise

The pants at Hot Topic are absolutely dreadful. In my opinion Hot Topic is only good for band tees, make-up, magazines/books and body jewelry. All the rest of it is crap.
DemureDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #443
mydnyght

i agree with winged_dreams, fashion is a personal choice. i have huge pants, and a fishnet shirt from HT, simply cause i can't fishnet anywhere else. gotta have fishnet, especially with nipple piercings!!
mydnyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #444
Apocalypse

Hot Topic, where people go to buy their identities! Nah, I'm just being a jerk. I've bought some stuff from Hot Topic, but some seriously "non-goth" stuff. really just band t-shirts, the who and the doors. I think if you buy stuff from hot topic theres no problem, just don't use it to make you feel special or better than anyone else. and it is quite pricy. I have a friend(male) who shops more than most girls and at hot topic, thats just rediciulous.

Personally I'm a big fan of calvin klein and Van Huesen stores, good clothes at a decent price. I like wearing pretty tight pants, not emo tight mind you. I just like wearing clothes that fit, otherwise I look pretty sad, being skinny with baggy clothes. but CK and VH have good clothes(stylish), they fit, and at a good price. So that works for me.
My style a bit more traditional stylish with a gothish flare, so I get what I need. and no, calvin klien did not pay me to write this, just giving away some info that might help.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #445
Corpus_Draconis

I still can't get over that "One-legged Pant" that someone posted about earlier (I didn't actually see the post, just a quote of it). Is it for guys, and they just don't want to call it a skirt because then guys won't buy it? Or do they not want to call it a skirt because then some girls won't buy it? *says in mocking voice:* I have a one-legged capri, and two one-legged shorts!
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #446
winged_dreams

Quote:
Well, one-legged pants were made for guys...

It's more manly to say it that way.
One legged pants sounds stupid. It's more manly to call it a skirt. XD

Old 03-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #447
WolfMoon

It's just a label. Guys know they're getting a skirt when they buy it.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:07 AM   #448
chloegoth

Guess who own HotTopic -

The Gap!

Seriously... it's their "alternative" clothing/product line. I kid you not. However, this does not bother me. Personally, I like cheap clothes, and when things are on sale, I'll buy them wherever.

Heh. One-legged pants. I'll have to tell the hubby about that. (He wears kilts)
Old 03-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #449
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegoth
Guess who own HotTopic -

The Gap!

Seriously... it's their "alternative" clothing/product line. I kid you not. However, this does not bother me. Personally, I like cheap clothes, and when things are on sale, I'll buy them wherever.

The Gap DOES NOT own Hot Topic. That is just an internet rumour.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #450
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegoth
Guess who own HotTopic -

The Gap!

Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Topic

They say here that Hot Topic was first opened in 1988 by Orv Madden.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote