Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
Greetings all...

Well, I'm Josh, I'm 13 and I'm not particularly 'Goth' if your definiton of the word includes liking Marilyn Manson and shopping at Hot Topic, however I am in search of some intelligent conversation and this looked interesting.

I do write (pretty shitty) stories on fictionpress, I used to roleplay, listen to lots of music... uh, I skate alot. I'm alright. well... to use the generic term I'm more of a punk than a goth, I have a mohawk/devilock sort of thing going on... I really believe in DIY and not shelling out shitloads of money to large companies who don't give a shit about their product, like Nike (who actually own Converse, for all you 'true hardcore' Converse wearers out there. Fight the power with your sweatshop shoes y'all).

I don't like wannabes, do like Glenn Danzig, don't like stupid people. Well... uhm eveything else probably goes into other forum sections. Pardon if this somehow contains subject material designated for other areas. Anyway, hello.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
Wise Child

Hey, Kinflame. You seem pretty articulate for a thirteen-year-old, so welcome! Can you clear something up for me though? - what exactly IS a devilock? I've heard the term so many times on these boards and I have no idea what the hell one is when it's at home.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Kinflame

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/...89_356x237.jpg

Popular haircut of Misfits fans like myself. It's actually a mohawk with the back shaved but I spike it forward and down not up so it looks alot like a devilock. Additonally, I just find it tiresome to use simple words when you're fully capable of using your vocabulary.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
angel011

Quote:
Additonally, I just find it tiresome to use simple words when you're fully capable of using your vocabulary.
Heh, most people here are allergic to net-speak. Welcome!

As for the definition of a 'Goth', read this: https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=630

If there's anything else about you you'd like to share, feel free to do it -- this is your very own introduction thread.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Kinflame

Mentioned in your thread link, 'Goth is very much like 70s Punk with a brain and good manners.'

Well, I'm definitely punk and I have more brains and good fucking manners than all the 'true' goths I know. Punk is (or was) seen as a feeling of disenchantment with most society that takes action rather than just bitches about it like the Goth movement. I have respect for 'Goth' beliefs, however at the same time I believe it's become for the most part another bastardized clique like most punk. In Yodaesque terms, both have strayed from the path.

Now just as most punks wear Converses, listen to Blink 182, and mistakenly believe they're part of an anti social movement, most goths I see listen to Marilyn Manson and paint their nails black while complaining how much it sucks to be middle class and white.

I personally see myself as a true punk, and hate all the stupid brainless posing of much punk and goth.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
angel011

True, there are far too many poseurs, and far too many misconceptions about both punks and goths.

I forgot to mention: there's a sticky called "Introduce yourself here" right here in the Introductions forum. If you wish, check out the questions posted there. Personally, I'd like to know about your favorite authors and movies.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, a perfect punk specimen
Welcome!
You are going to fit perfectly in.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
An Eccentric Cellist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Oh, a perfect punk specimen
Welcome!
You are going to fit perfectly in.
Welcome!
Agreed! You are going to fit in.
You are very articulate, and have exhibited good manners. Man I love that in teenagers. You have probably noticed that thirteen is usually the shit year.

Birthday please.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Eccentric Cellist
Welcome!
Agreed! You are going to fit in.
You are very articulate, and have exhibited good manners. Man I love that in teenagers. You have probably noticed that thirteen is usually the shit year.

Birthday please.

Third to that I just wonder how people find this place. I found it by accident.
4mytribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
Kinflame

Likewise. I searched Google for tips on how to grow a proper devilock and stumbled upon this place.

Lo and behold, intelligent people...

So. Birthday was February 17, kinda sucked. Thirteen IS the shit year, but thirteen is the year that I actually started to think like a normal human being and not like the average stupid fuck of a thirteen year old you'll find in Bethesda, Maryland.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
Kinflame

Argh, hate to double post but time limit expired, and didn't answer questions.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I listen to music, like to go out and new people, skate a lot despite my lack of talent, write and read.

2. Where are you from?
Born in New Dheli, moved to Cyprus at three, moved to Hong Kong at six, moved to Bethesda, Maryland (near DC) at 10 and have been stuck here for three years.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Storm Constantine.

4. What are your favorite films?
A Clockwork Orange, RENT, Walk The Line.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Anything Ben Folds Five. Good lyrics and perfect ambience.

6. At your funeral?
Black Sabbath or some powerful Classical, maybe some Beethoven.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
OD.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
I want to have my body cryogenically frozen in the most likely improbable hope they'll be able to successfully clone me in the future.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My black jacket, really old fucked up jeans, Sabbath wristband, black Distillers shirt with a field of red skulls on it, Fallens, and black shoelace x on my left hand.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Ignorance and the sense of fitting in.

11. What's your favorite band?
NOFX, The Misfits, or The Descendents.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
7th grade, haven't decided wether I even want a classical education. If no reasonable option other than college presents itself, I want to probably take a degree in Literature or the Performing Arts.

13. Why did you join?
To find an interesting community.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

Ahh, another Wraeththu fan

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
Kinflame

HOLY SHIT THE FIRST WRAETHTHU FAN I'VE EVER MET.

Seriously. Noone I know has ever heard of what is probably the greatest series in the history of ever.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
Godslayer Jillian

There's also a new guy called "selfdestruction" that reccomends everyone to read Wraeththu. And I don't know if Demonista ever got hold of the book.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
Kinflame

Well go Selfdestruction.

It changes the way you think, reading something like the Wraethuthu series. I haven't read 5 and 6 yet, but loved 4 almost as much as the first three.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

What?? There are 6 books???

I thought they were only three!!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Kinflame

She wrote three more in the 2000s. She kept her touch.

Taken from http://www.metrogirl.com/wraeththu-s..._wraeththu.htm

Wraeththu Books

The original trilogy (the Wraeththu Chronicles) was published in the late 1980s in the U.K. and the U.S. In the early 90s, Tor Books published a 3-in-one omnibus edition of these three books. Finally, in 2003, Immanion Press released the definitive edition of the books, completely revised by Storm Constantine.

The second trilogy (the Wraeththu Histories) is still in process; the first book, The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure, was released in 2003. The next two books will be published in 2004 and 2005. Histories books will be published by Tor Books in the U.S. and Immanion Press in the U.K.

So far, I haven't been able to find books five and six anywhere. I have the 1-3 omnibus and book 4 however.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #18
Ben Lahnger

Damn, now you've got me interested in them. I'm headed to the bookstore tomorrow.

Welcome, Kinflame, I'm glad you are here. I don't care what your age is, you are articulate and represent yourself well. Your tastes and punk sensibilities will add an interesting flavor to the mix here.

Just don't jump to any conclusions about people waving the goth banner around here. Very few of the people I see here like Marilyn Manson at all. And a lot of the other stereotypes and current popular beliefs about gothery don't apply to most of these folks either.

I hope you enjoy your time here. I look forward to your contributions.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #19
mutsumiasakura

Location: In the darkest corner of the smallest, most boring town in the universe.
Hello and welcome to Gnet!
You'll probably like it here, it's not the average online forum. We actually read books, too.

"Poetry is the deification of reality." -Edith Sitwell

"Whoso eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life . . . "
mutsumiasakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #20
Kinflame

Uhm. What an inspiring hello.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #21
WolfMoon

I don't know if anyone has told you this yet, but :

Marilyn Manson is not goth!

And you can say that to all of the lil spookykids that you know running around calling themselves 'goth' who worship him. If they don't know who SoM, Bauhaus, Christian Death or Siouxsie and the Banshees are....they're not goth.

Welcome to the boards and thank you for not listening to Blink182 or Simple Plan.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #22
Kinflame

I know Manson isn't goth.

I was just wondering is this was a manson-loving-wannabe-goth forum.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #23
6BladesDeep

Location: My own private vyrus of lollipops & leave it all behind.
*Thinks Poppy Z. Brite is brilliant*
Old 05-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #24
tekajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinflame
HOLY SHIT THE FIRST WRAETHTHU FAN I'VE EVER MET.

Seriously. Noone I know has ever heard of what is probably the greatest series in the history of ever.
Thank you! Tulsa 1999, my neighbor let me borrow a book...i think it was the first in the Wraeththu story, shit happened so i had to move back to Louisiana and i only got to read half of the book...along the years i completely forgot about that book. When i saw that word, something clicked in my head so i googled the word...

i'm going today and buy that fucking book.

Anyway, welcome to GNet. Fuck the labels man, just enjoy yourself here.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #25
6BladesDeep

Location: My own private vyrus of lollipops & leave it all behind.
I have a few of those books. I've been meaning to read them, but there are just so...many...books to read. I swear I'm reading 7 right now.