Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #76
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Templar, I first have to say: you idiot!
Ophelia perfectly understood the horrible senseless violence of this incident.
What the post you quoted was about was her contempt towards people who say "Oh noes, gothic victims!" rather than just "Oh noes, victims!"
Or do you agree with what Ophelia disagreed?
Do you agree the thing we have to see in here is that they were 'gothic'?
Fuck no!
What you see is that it was your nephew!
Understand what Ophelia means before insulting her.
Exactly. My point was that people were boohooing because they were gothic. Why do you think the story is on this site? I was angry because to some people, what mattered was that they were gothic, and they jumped to eat it up. If anything, I was defending their humanity, and was offended for them that the only reason their story was even on this site is because they were called gothic.

It's really a shame about what happened to them, not because they may or may not be gothic, but because they're people who have suffered.

To Kontan--It's less that I lack tact, and more that I ooze bluntness. Fortunately, this also means I'm the most honest person you will ever talk to.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #77
Templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Templar, I first have to say: you idiot!
Ophelia perfectly understood the horrible senseless violence of this incident.
What the post you quoted was about was her contempt towards people who say "Oh noes, gothic victims!" rather than just "Oh noes, victims!"
Or do you agree with what Ophelia disagreed?
Do you agree the thing we have to see in here is that they were 'gothic'?
Fuck no!
What you see is that it was your nephew!
Understand what Ophelia means before insulting her.
Really? I'd suggest you re-read the comment, because I'm reacting to what's actually written, while your interpretation seems to full of things that are assumptions of what the post is about - but thanks for the insult.

By the way, the word 'no' didn't have an 'e' in it last time I noticed - idiot.
Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #78
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
Really? I'd suggest you re-read the comment, because I'm reacting to what's actually written, while your interpretation seems to full of things that are assumptions of what the post is about - but thanks for the insult.

Why don't you re-read the comment? Here I am the AUTHOR of said comment, actually saying what it meant, and you still decide what you want? Fine then. If you want to believe I would randomly just berate people who were attacked, fine. I don't give a shit because it's not your dumb ass I feel for, it's the victims I feel for.

And "oh noes" is a commonly used internet slang phrase. Congrats on making yourself out to be an ass so many times in under a half hour.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #79
Godslayer Jillian

First of all, you're being a jerk.
If you are going to bitch about a deliberate added letter, I'm going to jump on your ass next time you misspell something.
Second, my 'idiot' was not at all an insult anymore than when you call a friend 'dumbass', while you were sincere about calling Ophelia 'imbecilic'.
Third, if you call me an idiot with such a weak argument, I pity you. Let's call ourselves idiots based on something more objective, alright? How about IQs? Mine's 153; how about you?
Also, I didn't even have to make any presupposition of Ophelia, I just had to read all of the thread before posting on it.
Lastly, I told you what Ophelia was really talking about, and yet you feel you have to justify your attack towards her rather than understand what she really meant? If so, you're an asshole.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #80
Apathy's_Child

Templar - if the guy's your nephew, then you are in no more position to be objective than we who have only a vague news article to go on.

The difference is that you seem to expect people with no more info than said article, to automatically assume that they were totally innocent. Sometimes, alas, people are beaten up for nothing. Sometimes it's the result of an altercation, in which they may or may not have been at least partly at fault. Jumping on someone for questioning the media's representation smacks of idiocy, unless you accept everything they tell you - which just smacks of an even greater level of idiocy. You can't blame people for questioning things, based on limited information - as Opelia stated, why should their gothicness have been an issue at all? They were two people who were attacked.

The best way to proceed, if you encounter misinformation, is to state your POV with as much civility as you can summon. If you start going "OMG fucking IDIOT!!!", you put backs up, and deservedly so.

I hope they're both recovering well.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #81
chelseagirl

I read an update news article on this today. It said that the kids arrested were being charged with "grievous bodily harm with intent"...it seems to me like they should be charged with attempted murder (or for you guys in the U.K., is it basically the same thing?) I really hope they catch the rest of the people involved. The news article said that the guy had awoke, but the girl is still in a coma. I do hope they both pull through with no lasting physical problems.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #82
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia

To Kontan--It's less that I lack tact, and more that I ooze bluntness. Fortunately, this also means I'm the most honest person you will ever talk to.

Honesty does not require a lack of diplomacy, Ophelia. You can always be blunt, but... from what I've seen, I don't think it requires you or anyone else to be a dick about their honesty.

I too am an honest person. The truth hurts, but I can make it hurt so good. You tend to make it just hurt. *shrugs* But it's your style I guess.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #83
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar

I know it's hard to talk about the tragedy of fighting without actually commencing into fighting; but please try to restrain yourself.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #84
Godslayer Jillian

Just being a bitch:
Quote:
Yes, and also the word 'no' doesn't have an 's', which I also put in there.
I said 'noes'.
You mentioned there's no 'e' in that word.
What does that give us?
'nos'
You completely missed a whole letter. You only busted me halfway through. That's 50%. In my country, a 50 is not a passable grade. What an idiot.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #85
Ulfilas

Messages of Goodwill for the couple

I'm waiting to hear back from Manchester CID (this afternoon) as to how I can get some messages of goodwill sent to this couple from the Gothic community.

I'll keep you posted.

Check out our myspace page for more details
Ulfilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #86
Cyntrox

You're from Goth Help Us? Nice...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #87
Ulfilas

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
You're from Goth Help Us? Nice...
Yup I'm the UK GHU man. Currently Birmingham Chapter is the only UK one.. and I'm looking for people to help me out too. AND to ressurect London chapter. Anybody interested in trying to help the gothic community help itself?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #88
Ulfilas

Templar - I'd appreciate finding out how we can get some wishes of goodwill sent to Rob and Sophie - please email me ? You can also contact me via myspace.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 AM   #89
Ulfilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfilas
I'm waiting to hear back from Manchester CID (this afternoon) as to how I can get some messages of goodwill sent to this couple from the Gothic community.

I'll keep you posted.

Check out our myspace page for more details
I now have an address to send things to. The Police have said they would forward things for us.

So far no details of the couple have been released to the public for security reasons.

If you have any messages you would like me to send on - please let me know.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #90
chelseagirl

I just read on another forum, where the victim's family members were posting, that Sophie has died. I hope that those posts were just from stupid, callous people playing a joke. This is just too sad. I'm crying just thinking of Rob waking up and recovering, only to be told his girlfriend is gone. I hope those pathetic bastards that did it are put away for the rest of their lives.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #91
Ulfilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
I just read on another forum, where the victim's family members were posting, that Sophie has died. I hope that those posts were just from stupid, callous people playing a joke. This is just too sad. I'm crying just thinking of Rob waking up and recovering, only to be told his girlfriend is gone. I hope those pathetic bastards that did it are put away for the rest of their lives.
I've been in contact with Rob's Aunt via myspace and she hasn't said anything about a death resulting from this. So I can only assume its some sort of sick joke. Out of curiosity - could you tell us what forum it was?

Thanks
Craig
Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #92
chelseagirl

It was here:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...skate_park.php

Rob's uncle just posted an update as to Sophie though.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #93
Ulfilas

Sophie has Died.

http://www.therossendalefreepress.co..._for_life.html

Published: 23rd August 2007
Park attack victim loses fight for life

SOPHIE Lancaster

THE 20-year-old victim of a horrific 'mob attack' in Bacup has lost her fight for life.

Former Haslingden High School pupil Sophie Lancaster suffered horrific head and facial injuries when she and her boyfriend Robert Maltby were assaulted in Stubbylee Park in the early hours of 11 August, leaving them both in comas.

Devastated family were told earlier in the week that she would not recover and went to say their last goodbyes at her bedside in Hope Hospital, Salford.

And today (Friday) the heartbreaking decision was made to turn off Sophie's life support machine; she died at 11.30am.

Rob's uncle and close friend of the couple Nigel Lancashire said: 'We are all just horrified. Both families are absolutely devastated.

'You don't think it can happen to someone you know; these things happen to someone else. All her friends managed to get to see her and everyone who mattered got to say their goodbyes.'

Robert, known as Rob, was briefly allowed out of Rochdale Infirmary on Wednesday to pay his girlfriend an emotional last visit. A former student at Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar, he also suffered severe head and facial injuries, but his condition has improved.

Mr Lancashire described his nephew as very 'disorientated and confused'.

He said Rob, 21, had been asking about Sophie all the time and when he saw her to say goodbye it was 'heartbreaking'.

The couple, both of Bacup, were allegedly assaulted by a group of people at the skate park at around 1.20am after spending the evening at a friend's house

Five youths, three aged 15 and two aged 17, have been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to the assault on Sophie and Robert; the police and Crown Prosecution Service are now reviewing those charges.

Detective Inspector Dean Holden, who described the incident as a 'mob attack' is leading the investigation.

He said: 'It is tragic that this young woman has now died. Our thoughts are obviously with her family. Anyone who saw the attack or has any information should contact the police.'

Several readers voiced their horror over what happened after reading last week's Free Press article; one claimed footage of the alleged attack had been on home video website YouTube.

A spokesman for site owners Google UK said: 'A video of this nature would be immediately removed.'

DI Holden said he was aware of the claims about YouTube but the police had not found anything. Anyone who witnessed anything is asked to contact Rawtenstall CID on 237443, the control room on 01282 4721360 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #94
Apathy's_Child

Awful, nasty, horrible happenings. I hope to hell they get the bastards. Her bf and family must be going through hell.

God I loathe humanity sometimes.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #95
Ulfilas

Apparently Rob is an Artist and has had some work shown in galleries. I wonder if we can help him get an memorial exhibition going?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #96
Apathy's_Child

How would it work? Anything we can do to help? That's a really nice idea.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #97
Ulfilas

Not sure yet. I think we probably need to wait a little while before we mention it to the family. They need time to grieve. I'd quite like to see a memorial concert too maybe? It's possible that the WGW people could help?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #98
chelseagirl

It's so sad, and so unnecessary. She was so beautiful too. I cried as I read the articles this morning advising of her death.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #99
Ulfilas

Apparently the sickos even filmed themselves doing it and posted the video to youtube.

The video has been taken down - I imagine it will be used as evidence
Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #100
Apathy's_Child

Sick fucks. I hope they die of that flesh-eating bug disease and rot in hell. The action of posting footage on YouTube tells us all we need to know about whether they suffered the slightest bit of remorse or regret afterwards.