Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #76
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestercel85
Yes I am quite well aware of what goes on in a bank, I am not an idiot, however I am not directly carrying, nor touching, the money so I am alleviated of any burden of conscience.

And yes I also knew the etymology of the word Good. However it is a corruption so hey more power to it.

Was there something I said you took offense to? You seemed to be taking a defensive tone, perhaps I misread that.
I think he was trying to imply that you're not effectively 'boycotting' paper money by using your debit card, so there's not point in not carrying cash unless you're a vampire and are physically harmed by items adorned with god's name or something.
Furthermore, the word 'good' isn't really a 'corruption' of 'god' in the sense that implies negative change, but is more a derivative of it. Associating positive things with the word 'good' also associates them with god, suggesting thereby that god is a positive thing.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #77
Drake Dun

It's a symbolic gesture, not a boycott.

And the word "good" does not come from "God". I can see how you could get this impression from a cursory glance at its etymology, but read more closely and you'll see why it could not be and is not the case.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

"Lulz", on the other hand, is a corruption of "LOL".

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #78
Dreggas

To address the OP. The "Under god" part was inserted in the 1950's by an act of Congress. It was meant to distinguish us from "the godless commies". In fact the original pledge carried no reference to a specific deity and was written by a baptist minister (go figure). It contained no reference to a deity because that was believed to be wrong, and there was the belief in the "seperation clause".

The actual root of the seperation clause was Thomas Jefferson. In a response to a letter received from what was then the equivalent of todays "fundamentalist evangelicals" he did say that in effect this would be a wall against state sponsoring of any religion. Why? Because that was the initial reason for the puritan migration to the colonies, as well as a lot of other migrations, people were being persecuted for their beliefs. As such when the bill of rights came and the amendments were proposed the freedom of religion (or lack thereof) was established to protect the exercise of religion from the interference of gov't.

As to the founding fathers all being christian, most were deists, thus they did not refer to a concrete "god" in the constitution but the belief in the creator. Yes, revisionists would like you to believe they were all god-fearing christian men but the majority were aristocratic, renaissance/enlightenment thinkers. Thus they drew more from Voltaire and less from the King James version of the bible. Some even held outright disdain for the church and religion (see ben franklin and the original hellfire club).

Yes there was arguement, however the argument was believed to have been put to rest until the revisionists started their "crusade" (an appropriate word) to try and change what is taught in schools and why there is this argument today.

As to whether it is constitutional, to my mind no it's not constitutional. In fact the pledge in its entirety may not be constitutional (it was not even written until the latter 1800's) but that's another debate. If we are looking for intent then the words of Jefferson spell out clearly that the intent was seperation of church and state including free exercise of religion without state interference (in other words it's not illegal to be a pastafarian believing in the flying spaghetti monster, at least not yet).

To sum up "One nation under god" = unconstitutional per the intent.
Dreggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #79
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestercel85
Yes I am quite well aware of what goes on in a bank, I am not an idiot, however I am not directly carrying, nor touching, the money so I am alleviated of any burden of conscience.

And yes I also knew the etymology of the word Good. However it is a corruption so hey more power to it.

Was there something I said you took offense to? You seemed to be taking a defensive tone, perhaps I misread that.
Offended? No, it just struck me as being deliberately obtuse.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #80
viscus

And by the way, I'm not a believer. I just really don't care about official references to religion so long as no one is censoring me as a heretic or forcing me to go to church.

There are so many other issues that our energy would be better spent on, like the climate crisis we have on our hands, the existence of the CIA, that the US military's idea of "defending our freedom" is bombing countries that don't have an air force, and that some cities are so violent that it's not safe to be in certain places even in broad daylight.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #81
jestercel85

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I think he was trying to imply that you're not effectively 'boycotting' paper money by using your debit card, so there's not point in not carrying cash unless you're a vampire and are physically harmed by items adorned with god's name or something.
Furthermore, the word 'good' isn't really a 'corruption' of 'god' in the sense that implies negative change, but is more a derivative of it. Associating positive things with the word 'good' also associates them with god, suggesting thereby that god is a positive thing.
Ok lets just get this out there, I live with an English major, I considered being one myself for a little while. English has almost always been my strongest subject even though science is my favorite. Explaining the etymology of words, the way they are used, or anything of that nature is pointless, chances are I either already knew it or when I found that I did not I made the effort to find out before I spoke on it. I don't like giving an opinion unless I know what I am talking about. I was being a smart ass when I said what I did about the corruption of the word.
jestercel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #82
jestercel85

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Offended? No, it just struck me as being deliberately obtuse.
I see, well I am sorry it came across that way, I didn't mean to seem stupid. I was simply putting forth my opinion on the matter. I personally disagree with them placing that motto on our money, and I don't want to deliberately, and physically handle it unless I have to.
jestercel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #83
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
In my government class, we've been studying many cases involving the separation of church and state. Do you think the portion of the American pledge "one nation under God" is unconstitutional?
oooh, I've never thought of that. You know what, I think it is now!
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #84
Opteron_Man

I think that believing in any supernatural being is completely ridiculous.
As an Atheist, I believe in reality not the scribbling of savage ruthless men from two thousand plus years ago. No, I believe in science FACT.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #85
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I think that believing in any supernatural being is completely ridiculous.
As an Atheist, I believe in reality not the scribbling of savage ruthless men from two thousand plus years ago. No, I believe in science FACT.
Right...... but that wasn't the question.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #86
le_revenant

I thought we all agreed back in '75 that it would be:
"One Nation Under a Groove!"

Right on baby!
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #87
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
The "under god" was only added in the 50's if I'm correct. The In God We Trust was also something invented around the 50's.
Very true, this was to counteract the fact the communists were atheists of sorts (they didn't want people worshiping anyone but them :P) Communists were viewed as godless and, in order to stick one to the communists and give America another paper tie to hold itself together, we decided to be under 'god'. No sign nor proof of God has been found or agreed upon by anyone, however it seems to be the general idea that he's above us. >_> <_< Good thing I have a roof...

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #88
LogisticWolf

Talking One nation

It should be one nation by the people for the people

Keep God out of it.
LogisticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #89
Tumor

"God under one nation" sounds closer to the truth. And even that's far from it.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #90
acidxrainbows

I pretty much think so. I don't think that just because the "founding fathers" based this country on the idea of a "Christian nation" doesn't mean we should still have these beliefs foisted upon us today. They also believed in oppressing women and having slaves.
But I just say "I don't pledge allegiance to any flag, the United States of America, or to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under no-one, invisible, with liberty and justice for some."
No one even notices.
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #91
Drake Dun

The founding fathers didn't base the country on the idea of a Christian nation. Some were religious, some weren't, but they were secularists pretty much to the last man.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #92
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Two opinions:

a) Regarding the OP's question: Students become self directing and make their own choices at various ages, but until they are legal adults their parents decide (indirectly) the general curricula and format of school for their children. So the "inconsistency" of the pledge as it applies to some schools and not others (or lacks enforcement) is due to the local mores. If the local population constitutionally decides (by electing those who express religious attributes) that it is ok, it is constitutional. We could theoretically all vote tomorrow that a Klingon Pledge to the Empire is required, and it would constitutional, if it was passed as a ballot measure.

b) Regarding the founding fathers, remember: if they were smart enough to lay down the architecture for a successful government, they obviously understood social dynamics, and thus they most likely saw parallels in church as a social entity equal to and possibly greater than a secular government. They wanted to protect against an influence that would undemocratically override the lawmaking decision process.

Just my two cents worth.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #93
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
We could theoretically all vote tomorrow that a Klingon Pledge to the Empire is required, and it would constitutional, if it was passed as a ballot measure.
It's got my vote.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #94
Drake Dun

The constitution cannot be overridden by vote. It has to be amended if you don't like what it says. That's how things are set up.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #95
raggedyanne

Well, this group provides a lot of information about separation of church and state and secular issues:
http://www.au.org/site/PageServer

Dear mods,
I am in no way asking people to leave our dear site or advertising another group. These dudes just rock.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #96
blackwater1110

I remember reading a Times issue where the frond cover said in big letters, "ONE NATION UNDER...?" I always thought it was presumptuous that we even had to be 'under' something in the first place. Why not leave it as it was originally, "one nation, indivisible?" The ironic part is that, by doing so, you would be showing us to be indivisible by petty issues. Ah well, the whole thing is just political indoctrination anyway, we ought to throw it out.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #97
Wormboy

I always just said

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the divided states of America, and to the tyranny, which comfortably sits, one nation, under Canada, over Mexico, with taxes and morality for sale.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #98
blindNsect

I'm proud to be a godless commie.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #99
acidxrainbows

As an afterthought, just going with separation of church and state in general, I once heard a quote that went, "Kindly remove your commandments from my school, courthouse, and the rest of my tax-funded property." I like that.
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote