Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #76
Grausamkeit

I do 3 sets of 15 reps when the reps of 10 get easy.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #77
Jonathan

Adding in a 3 mile walk on top of whatever I sneak in during my work shift...
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #78
Fruitbat

Versus I just wanted to see your thug face (it's so cute)

Yep, it can be difficult to judge exactly what you are doing, when you are doing other physical stuff. Don't forget you still need to stretch out those muscles. If I do something physical in the garden, then I'd still do my stretches and I'd compare how tired I was afterwards to how I felt after a workout. If it was the same, then I'd consider that I'd worked out my arms and tomorrow my arms would be rested (stretched but rested) and then get back to it again the day after.

You need to give muscles a day off to recover. If I were you, and I'd done a lot of arm exercises, the next day I'd do arm stretching, and focus my workout on say, my abs, then the third day do my legs and just keep rotating through.

So yesterday at the gym, I did my arms and abs and cardio. I'm trying to lift heavier weights, so I drop the reps (aim for 12 reps), increase the weight and I lift that weight until I find it easy (maybe two weeks) and then I'll increase my reps to 15. Once I can do 15 easy, then I increase the weight. I use a 9kg for a tricep curl, 3kg in an arnold press and 5kg to lift my arms straight in front of me.

Today at the gym, i did a different set of abs (planks and superman stretches) and cardio (slow pace, but steeper incline).

Tomorrow I'll try the arms again (they are my weakest points), maybe do some boxing and yet more cardio (will depend on how my body is feeling, but I will push it).

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #79
Grausamkeit

Fru, I'm beginning to wonder what your arms look like if you lift almost 20lbs for triceps!

I'm about to start riding my bike again. The back brakes need tightening so they don't shift and rub on the tire, but other than that the bike's in good working order. I also want to take up jumping rope. I need to get some decent cross-trainers, though. All of my shoes are boots...except for the mega-cheap 'walking/running' shoes I bought last year.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #80
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
I actually made a vegan soup the other night from a receipe book suggested by Saya.
Oooh, which one was that? I'm afraid Versus might not like my cooking so I'm keeping my ear open for omni approved recipes XD
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #81
ape descendant

I'm a big proponent of vegetable consumption. In my opinion one of the biggest culinary crimes, is the mistreatment of a perfectly tasty veggie, putting innocent people off of them.

One of the things I really enjoy, veggie wise, is a dish my mom makes. Its zucchini, sometimes yellow squash (zucchini's flamboyant cousin) and onion. Chop the squashes into coins and the onions into rings. Throw some oil in the skillet, start with the onions and throw the squash in when the onion starts to caramelize. (I like to put some fresh crushed garlic in, but I like to put some o' dat into everything.) Saute until the the coins are slightly transparent but still have a little crunch to them. Makes a healthy snack or delicious side.

I was an adult before I ever had squash that tasted disgusting.. it was at some restaurant... they BOILED the zucchini... it has to be criminal. Even when I'm doing spaghetti squash or butternut, I stick that stuff in the oven and bake it... with butter (or margarine) and skads of garlic and herbs.

Another disturbing thing I've noticed is that veggies tend to get overcooked, broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus cooked until soggy *gagh*. Hell, I try to avoid cooking things like spinach at all, cause takes on one of the foulest textures known to man... gotta eat that stuff fresh....

On the topic of fresh spinach.... there is this salad... its pretty much fresh spinach, fresh strawberries and raw chopped garlic... with a raspberry vinaigrette it is delicious, but not for the faint of heart.

Erm... well, just remember to eat your veggies and cook them with the love and care that these delicious, vitamin filled morsels deserve.

/end vehement veggie-filled rant.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #82
Solumina

Who the heck boils zucchini?

My favorite veggies are grilled veggies, I get every bit as excited (if not a little more so) about grilling produce as I do about grilling meat. My absolute favorite is taking a head of lettuce (dense leaved varieties to work best), wash it, cut it in half, drizzle with a little olive oil, and toss it on the grill (cut side down).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #83
ape descendant

Only assholes boil zucchini... and the hottest place in veggie hell is reserved for them.

Mmmm I've never though to grill lettuce. I'll have to try that sometime. As far as grilling veggies, I have to say that corn on the cob is my favorite, just cut the silk and throw it on while its still in the husk, grill until the outer husk is burnt... tis... deelicious.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #84
Fruitbat

Graus *blushes* My upper arms keep waving long after my lower arms have stopped, except after an upper arm workout, when I'm too tired to wave, and I just tilt my head.

Saya It was broccoli and potato herb soup. Vegie stock, broccoli, spuds, tarragon, onion and then when it was all cooked, you blended it with a stick blender and then put in 1/2 cup of dill and mint and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. It was yummy and flavoursome and delicious...

Ape going to remember that recipe when we come to zucchini season in a few months.

More treadmill today. no weights, was in a rush but I'll probably do some crunches later on.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #85
Fruitbat

*bump*

Okay I really hope you have all been way toooo busy exercising to be typing in here...

What song gets you up off the couch?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #86
Grausamkeit

No, I've been finishing crap for school. The weather has been a bit rainy and it's making me feel sleepy and tired all day.

I like to bike to Rammstein. Actually, they are pretty good for getting the blood pumping for cleaning, as well. The Cramps and Alien Sex Fiend are good for that, too. Danzig, The Misfits, Gary Numan, Death, Kreator....just depends on what mood I'm in.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #87
Saya

Too crampy to exercise
Old 07-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #88
Fruitbat

Saya You know exercise is good for cramps.

I've been having trouble with motivation at the moment, and my music is mostly mainstream because I don't have the time/motivation to go exploring for music, plus I play songs to death on the Shuffle and I'd rather play songs to death that I'm not that interested in (if you know what I mean).

I start with something like Fleetwood Mac's, Go your own way, or Bruce Springsteen's born to run, for my warm up and then move onto:

Enrique's new song: tonight I'm loving/fucking you
Rihanna's S&M
Taio Cruz's Dynamite
Madonna's ray of light
and then anything with a decent beat: spiderbait's buy me a pony, don't you know I am (happyland)

Sigh, I'm listening to what ducky would call music for retards but it gets me moving.

Kylie Minogue's I believe in you, love at first sight or slow (which are good with weights, where I'm focusing on technique not speed).

GrausRammstein sound great. I enjoy heavy music, but not all the time I'm at the gym.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #89
Saya

I don't listen to music when I exercise, but Scissor Sisters will get me off the couch to dance around like an idiot.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #90
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I don't listen to music when I exercise, but Scissor Sisters will get me off the couch to dance around like an idiot.
God.....damm......itttt.....

I'm off the couch... dancing... oh shiiiiiiiiiittttttttt!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #91
Catch

I danced the other day. Wooo, I don't know about that anymore... ya know.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #92
honeythorn

Music doesn't help me work out in the slightest unfortunately.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #93
Fruitbat

HT what do you use to motivate yourself?

Well this morning I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought "wow, this latest push to get past the plateau is finally working." Told Mr Bat and he said "UGH! I've been telling you that for months."

Got a compliment from a lady at the gym yesterday, while we were talking about protien shakes. Neither of us are losing weight but we are getting firmer. Problem is women's clothes aren't really designed to have bicep/triceps.

Graus You keeping up with your exercise and studying everything else?

Blackat You still exercising?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #94
honeythorn

I don't use anything. Other than looking at my fat and seeing that it's still there.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #95
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I don't use anything. Other than looking at my fat and seeing that it's still there.
Seems like just as good a motivational tool as any.

I'm vain... I just want to look hot and wear a pair of daisy dukes - XD

Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #96
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Seems like just as good a motivational tool as any.

I'm vain... I just want to look hot and wear a pair of daisy dukes - XD
That's my motivation, too....

And no, I've been having to concentrate more on school shiz lately than exercize. I don't always do cardio, but I try to slide in some strength if I have a few minutes to do some pushup and chair dips. I have been sweeping the carpet and it's getting easier(and faster)! I have been watching my portions, though and avoiding sugar(except today, I had a soda).

Tomorrow, I'm going to get an air pump for my bike so I can start riding in the mornings. My poor, dusty bike is going to get wiped down tonight. I've already DW40-ed the chain.

Where is BlacKat? Has she been gone a while?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #97
Solumina

I don't have cable, my building's gym does, so far it seems to be pretty good motivation for me, doesn't seem to be working as well for Jake though (and he has to whip his booty in shape or else he is really going to suffer when he goes to basic).
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #98
Grausamkeit

I lied, vanity is only part of the motivation. The big reason I want to be healthy is because I don't want to end up huge and olde like some of the people in my family. I don't want to be 70 and 450lbs, falling and having no one to find me for 6-8 hours and not being able to crawl to a phone. That shit's scary to think about.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #99
Solumina

That is scary shit, and sad too. My aunt Jo is heading in that direction and I just can't understand how she lets it happen to herself. You can tell that her joints are having a lot of problems and seeing her play with her grandkids and having to stop multiple times a minute to catch her breath, to the point where she basically just becomes a spectator is so sad, yet instead of putting energy into getting healthy (pretty much all she has done is switch from sugar to Splenda) she prefers to snip at her sisters about being skinny. My mother is a size 8/10, not exactly a rail, and Betty is a solid 14, she is pretty active but still a big gal, if you are putting a lot of effort into berating people like that for being thin (and I won't go into any detail about what she has said to me or my similarly sized cousin) then you can't possibly be happy about yourself.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #100
Grausamkeit

When it's one of your relatives and not just that old lady on the commercial screaming that she can't get up, it becomes a wake up call even if you're not overweight.

I am proud of one of my aunts, though. She lost about 40lbs over the last few years.