Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Denchera

Stares?

Whenever you go outside do you ever get stares from people? Usually it would make people feel uncomfortable, but for me it's actually funny the way people do it and how they think I dont notice. Just today I was at the local grocery store from two christian fundamentalist (The ones who think rock music and dancing is an act of disrespect towards god and is just as bad as murder.) kids were whispering to each other and looking at me with wide open eyes. Then there's the comments which are even better, when I was walking outside with Alice this black kid walked past us and said "No one here likes emos" and that's the the thing I hate most is when people confuse us for stupid emos. But stuff like that gives me a chance to say something back to them, and what I said back to him I'd rather not post here, but I was surprised he didn't get mad. How do you feel about getting attention on the street?
Denchera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
SiouxsiePernova

People do tend to gawk at me, but I expect that to happen. It is very rare for anyone to direct derogatory comments towards me, though; they usually ask where I purchase my clothing and/or accessories from.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
Denchera

heh, it's funny though. They think I look outlandish, but to me I think they look weird with what they allow themselves to wear.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
viscus

Pah. Try living in rural Japan with blonde hair.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Solumina

Children seem to love my clothing and since there are so many parents who just let their kids wander around stores I get a lot of them coming up to me and the looks on their little faces when I tell them that its okay to dress like that every day is just priceless, the just look like a whole new world of possibilities just opened up to them. I also seem to get a lot of lingering glances from older men, but that seems to happen no matter what I wear and has been going on pretty much since I hit puberty.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
People here do cast stares sometimes, but its not bad. I remember one time I went to the studio and went into the back dressing room where my friend was. She looked up at me and shrieked "OH MY GOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! ALYCE IS AN EMO-GOTH!!!!!!" I think that was the only worst time because everyone in the studio heard her statement and kept giving me very cold stares. It was really random and right out of the blue. I was just wearing what I would normally wear.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
Pah. Try living in rural Japan with blonde hair.
Growing up anywhere in Asia with blonde hair and blue eyes makes you oblivious to stares...

I'm sure I get stared at quite a bit, especially when on my way to clubs. It just doesn't register in my brain as anything out of the norm, so I take no notice. I've been stared at my whole life, it's not going to start bothering me now.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
KontanKarite

Every time this thread gets made, I always imagine the OP looks ridiculous.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Ebbhead

^ Agreed.

Btw, I can't really relate to this thread at all. I'm no oil painting, but I'm not so hideous you'd cross the street to get a photo of me for the New Scientist either.

Would walking around dressed as a sort of futuristic military rave steampunk zombie geisha get me more attention?
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
KontanKarite

I'm just saying... People stare at me because they're attracted to me.

So it just makes sense that the OP is DOING IT WRONG.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbhead View Post
^ Agreed.

Btw, I can't really relate to this thread at all. I'm no oil painting, but I'm not so hideous you'd cross the street to get a photo of me for the New Scientist either.

Would walking around dressed as a sort of futuristic military rave steampunk zombie geisha get me more attention?
It certainly would.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
maggot

I used to get a shit ton of stares, but people in my town recognize me now, so I mostly get smiles. I'm also friends with store clerks, so they sell me all sorts of things they shouldn't. haha
Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
Denchera

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
I'm just saying... People stare at me because they're attracted to me.

So it just makes sense that the OP is DOING IT WRONG.
No, what I wear is pretty basic, my hair isn't even that long or dyed, not sure why you're being so negative to me though...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
NachtSorcier

Well, I live in southern West Virginia, so if you wear anything other than designer garbage or trailer trash crap or unless you slip a size 2 pair of shorts that say "Juicy" over your 400-pound ass, you get stared at. I really can't be bothered when white trash at Wal-Mart gives me snide stares. I feel sorry for them.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
the-nihilist

People stare at me all the time, but then I wake up and I'm wearing my clothes again. I don't know why I keep having that damn dream.
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denchera View Post
No, what I wear is pretty basic, my hair isn't even that long or dyed, not sure why you're being so negative to me though...
If it's basic, then there's other reasons you're getting stares. First off, looking "basic" would not warrant any stares. So maybe you're simply carrying yourself in an offputting or negative light.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
Ebbhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
It certainly would.
Safe. I'll get to work on it, and maybe turn up to lectures in the finished product.
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
Tam Li Hua

Yes, I get stares. I also get compliments.

Apparently, not many folks in this section of the world know what Goth is or care. *shrug*
Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
Apathy's_Child

I get stared at all the time for being so hot. I simply imagine a penny clutched between my buttocks that I'm taking great pains not to drop, and stick my nose in the air with disdain as I walk among the masses of kowtowing peasants.

Doesn't seem to put them off though.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #20
Minyaliel

Yeah, sure. I walked past a little girl and her father today, and she pointed at me, with big eyes and a really fascinated expression on her face, shouting to her father "Look at *that* LADY!" I smiled at her and continued shoving my bike up the hill. It's not really that bad. If you're dressed out of the norm, people are going to notice. It's just the way it is.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #21
Denchera

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier View Post
Well, I live in southern West Virginia, so if you wear anything other than designer garbage or trailer trash crap or unless you slip a size 2 pair of shorts that say "Juicy" over your 400-pound ass, you get stared at. I really can't be bothered when white trash at Wal-Mart gives me snide stares. I feel sorry for them.
That's almost the same as here. If you're not wearing A&F clothing or some prep/gangster crap from the local mall you're getting comments, but I don't have to get used to it, it's all a matter of opinion. To me, what they wear is strange (Although I'm not the one yelling it to half the store.), while they think what I wear is weird. It's just how it is I guess.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #22
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I get stared at all the time for being so hot. I simply imagine a penny clutched between my buttocks that I'm taking great pains not to drop, and stick my nose in the air with disdain as I walk among the masses of kowtowing peasants.

Doesn't seem to put them off though.
Brilliant, sir.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denchera View Post
Whenever you go outside do you ever get stares from people? Usually it would make people feel uncomfortable, but for me it's actually funny the way people do it and how they think I dont notice.
As you really so sure they don't realize that you notice the attention they give you? Typically, making sure you know is part of their attempt to shame you.

Quote:
Just today I was at the local grocery store from two christian fundamentalist (The ones who think rock music and dancing is an act of disrespect towards god and is just as bad as murder.) kids were whispering to each other and looking at me with wide open eyes.
I'm a little curious as to how you knew from looking at them that they were Christians, and Fundamentalist Christians at that.

Quote:
Then there's the comments which are even better, when I was walking outside with Alice this black kid walked past us and said "No one here likes emos" and that's the the thing I hate most is when people confuse us for stupid emos. But stuff like that gives me a chance to say something back to them, and what I said back to him I'd rather not post here, but I was surprised he didn't get mad.
In the African American culture, hiding one's feelings and opinion is commonly seen as deceptive and insulting. The simple fact of the matter is that it is very likely response was expected, whether positive or negative, and no surprise to that person. Of course, it is advisable to take care to respond from the heart, and not simply to insult. Slurs can result in beatings.

Quote:
How do you feel about getting attention on the street?
I'm an African American Goth living in Minnesota, the second Whitest state in the union (behind Utah). When (not "if") I get stared at, it's hard to tell what the reason might actually be; do I really look that good? Is it my suit? The leather? The Gothic accents I wear? My earrings? My skin color?

The sudden attention many Goths notice when they begin to dress a little out of the norm is novel to them, something that takes a while to come to terms with and get used to. For me, it's been a way of life ever since I was old enough to notice the whispers and side glances. Do I garner extra attention because I'm wearing black from head to toe or morbid-looking jewelry? I wouldn't be able to tell you.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
Raivyn

Location: A small town in Pennsylvania. Nothing ever happens here.
Of course people stare at me. Every day, every time I go out. The local culture is mostly made up of rednecks, a few metalheads here and there, and it seems all the kids are trying too hard to be either gangsta or emo. I know only one other goth in the area, whose image is a little more conservative due to his career, and he gets a kick out of people's reactions to my appearance.

To be honest, I enjoy the attention. Moreso when little kids point and say, "Mommy, I want hair like hers!" I can't help but smile.
Raivyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #25
ZyklonB

I'm not really one to notice looks that come my way or anything, but my mom says I get stuff a lot of the time from people. I'm just oblivious to it I guess. I don't dress that out of the ordinary, but I guess it's just all the black. I'm, horrible at color coordinating so I avoid color, but I do have a red belt. Wee. Black/white is all of my attire besides my belt.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote