Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
x-deviant-x

True Blood anyone?

I think this is probably the best vampire series I've ever watched. Every character is fucked up in some way, and its hard to pick which one of them I like the best. So far it has to be a toss-up between Tara, or her very sexy, very gay, cousin Lafayette.

For those that aren't familiar with it, the story takes place in the bayous of Louisiana, centered around Sookie, a very naive, young southern girl that has the ability to hear people's thoughts. She lives in a little Podunk town in a world that is trying to recognize and accept vampires living among them.

Created by Alan Ball (American Beauty, Six Feet Under) and airs Sunday nights on HBO. There's only 2 episodes left in this first season.

Here's a clip that has to be one of my favorite scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxSWnNO0m3k
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
tekajo

i have yet to watch it since i don't have HBO. i'll wait and get the dvd's. i think they film it about an hour from where i live.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Solumina

Personally I watched the first episode and I wasn't really a fan *shrug* to each their own
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
x-deviant-x

I think they're available online... itunes, etc. i haven't checked myself. my bf works for the cable company so we get tv, phone & internet free.

The first few episodes were a bit slow, but by the 3rd or 4th you're hooked. at least I was. I like the believability of the characters, and the character development is pretty damned good.

x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
ThreeEyesOni

I wasn't too geared up for it to start; projects like this are notoriously bad, and there were a lot of bad things to be said and a major recast/reshoot.

The first 5 minutes cemented good will for me though. It was just pretty much how I wanted the tone to be. I'm still liking a lot of it, though I could actually do without the massive Tara side-points. Perhaps they were at a loss to fill the season, having finished the main storyline and needing more space filled without adding unnecessarily to the main characters.

Anywho, I like it. It's far from perfect and still makes me groan sometimes (and nope, not in a good way in this case), but a lot of that is because of the aspects I don't like from the books that carried over (that's a whole other rant).

Stephen Root's (King of the Hill's Bill Dauterive, fyi) Eddie is probably my favorite character; just written and acted so well, and definately a deep character for the series. Alas...
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
HellforgedX

I like it! I've read all the books to date, and I try not to go into any film version of a favorite book expecting it to be anything like it, so I was not disappointed.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
twistedsyn

I D/Led it off torrents, its a good series. I dont have HBO either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo
i have yet to watch it since i don't have HBO. i'll wait and get the dvd's. i think they film it about an hour from where i live.
twistedsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Pantherlette086

I'm hooked!! I have to wait until Sundays to watch it because school. It's worth it though!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
chelseagirl

I've been watching.

Solumina, I really didn't care for the first episode either, and almost didn't watch the second, but it got a LOT better.

The "AIDS burger" scene is probably my favorite one also.

while I do like the show so far, I really don't like:

1. The whole V-juice/druggie plot. It's simply stupid.
2. I don't like the way a vampire is made/turned/whatever. It's really stupid.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
ThreeEyesOni

Well, V-Juice is pretty much the only important plot outside of the main one. Personally I could have dealt without all the exorcism stuff. There's definately a little too much "tripping out", but I like how it's showing the people that claim to hate vampires but at the same time treat them as a commodity.

The "turning" bit is pretty much stock standard. The only major exampes that I can think of that differ widely are the Necroscope series (it was damn contagious. even being in a vampire's lair for too long could do you in, not to mention that the vampire remains would eventually cause a pseudo-sentient fungus to release infectious spores) and the Vampire's Apprentice series (that one had the blood transfusion, but it was from using sharp fingernails to cut into the initiate's fingertips).

I just wish you could have a vampire story without all the sex, or at least not have it as a focal point.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #11
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
The "turning" bit is pretty much stock standard.
Not really though. Alan Ball has made it so that when a vampire turns a human, they must bury the human that they are turning, where they must remain for 3 days, and the vampire who is doing the turning must also bury themselves in the grave with the human and lay there with them so that their "magic vampire essence" is absorbed into the human.

It's a departure from the books, and one that I find quite silly.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
ThreeEyesOni

o_O How exactly did I miss that little tidbit?

Though even the three days bit isn't far from traditional, but still.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
o_O How exactly did I miss that little tidbit?

Though even the three days bit isn't far from traditional, but still.
lol, it's okay, actually I hadn't thought of it before but you wouldn't have known about it until this past episode on the 16th (where it showed Bill getting into the grave and being burried with Jessica).

The being buried for 3 days is fine, but I don't like the whole "essence transfer" thing, lol! I actually had read about that in an Alan Ball interview.

I'm really bummed about what happens in the season finale.

I LOVE Jessica though, she's HILARIOUS!! {haha, you said "intercourse"]
Old 11-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
ThreeEyesOni

Oooohhh... nope, I havn't caught yesterday's episode yet.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
HauntingMist

Great series. I looked forward to each episode with a lot of enthusiasm. The next season starts in the summer, so that's a really fast turn around time. And I also picked up all of the books that the series is based upon, so that should keep me busy for a while. I'll prolly be picking it up when it hits DVD.
HauntingMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Mr. Filth

All I know is that the intro looks like a NIN music video. After that the bad acting and shitty plot drive me away and I happily keep the memories of other vampire movies. Like ......

Black Sunday
Martin
Near Dark
The Night Stalker
Fright Night
The Fearless Vampire Killers

And SUBSPECIES! Along with its many sequels. Hail Radu!

Until you've seen all these movies. Stop watching True Blood immediately.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
Sir Canvas Corpsey

The scene that was posted in this thread was rather funny, I think I might end up watching it but not because it is all that good, but because it's better than some of the other dribble.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #18
HauntingMist

I'm pretty surprised that there aren't that many fans on a website like this. One would think that this is the main audience for the show. Weirdness.
HauntingMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #19
Fae-wolf

I feel weird for liking the show.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote