Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
ExistentialDisorder

Music Industry Targets Lyric Sites

Just thought some of you may find this interesting... Be careful next time you decide to post lyrics on a website or a profile. Not that this is on an individual basis, yet...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
butterflyfearie

Thats realy padantic!
I can understand the music industry's position on ripping whole albums off the internet but what the hell do they think your going to do with lyrics and tab?- aside from create a dodgy cover band?
butterflyfearie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
ExistentialDisorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyfearie
Thats realy padantic!
I can understand the music industry's position on ripping whole albums off the internet but what the hell do they think your going to do with lyrics and tab?- aside from create a dodgy cover band?
Because supposedly, "Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing"...

*sniff, sniff* what's that smell?

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder

*sniff, sniff* what's that smell?
Uhh...

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Star of Blight

Well this spanks of retardation.
Star of Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
Empty_Purple_Stars

Woah..

Am I Hallucinating again?

Color me suprised..

Old 01-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
WolfMoon

If they banned lyric sites, some peop-le would still think Jimmy said " 'Scuse me whil I kiss this guy....."
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
cannibalnuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
If they banned lyric sites, some peop-le would still think Jimmy said " 'Scuse me whil I kiss this guy....."

Thank you for one of the best laughs I have had all day.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Bloodrayngoth

any way it doesn't really matter what lyics are on the net now and they won't never be able to stop them loading them, its the same with music! music is what makes them rich!
Bloodrayngoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 AM   #10
talon

Bands have tab books. I never new that. But that would suck. When I get a guitar I'm going to ask my brother to teach me how to play. I've experimented with his guitar but playing the music you listen to would be much better than listening to it through your headphone. I suppose once you learn it would be easier and more fun making your own tunes though.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:24 AM   #11
talon

Oh wait, that was way off topic. What I mean is how would you play the music you like if they don't have tab books and you can't get them off the internet.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
Empty_Purple_Stars

You could kidnap your favorite guitar player and force him or her to teach you..

But hey, thats just me.

*twitch*
Old 01-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
WolfMoon

THat's a great idea, but you'd have to make sure not to forget that eddie's gettin' on in years, now. Be careful with the rope.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #14
Beowulf

Quote:
THat's a great idea, but you'd have to make sure not to forget that eddie's gettin' on in years, now. Be careful with the rope.

Wolfie,

Is that Eddie `Eruption` Van Halen ?.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:11 AM   #15
talon

Making celebrities victims is dangerous. They have more powers than we do. Political powers, that scare me.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #16
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Wolfie,

Is that Eddie `Eruption` Van Halen ?.
Who else would it be? He's not my favorite guitar player(I don't think I have one), but he's the agreed upon Guitar God that most aspiring axe men try to emulate.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #17
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Who else would it be? He's not my favorite guitar player(I don't think I have one), but he's the agreed upon Guitar God that most aspiring axe men try to emulate.

I remember when the guitar shops, used to have the resident `Eddie Van Halen` clone who would always play `Eruption` or bits of it.

I think eddie has a very distinctive sound, and some of his stuff is amazing `Hot for Teacher` just kicks ass (imagine a thrashed up version of it heh-heh-heh).

As for my favourite players there are too many...

Does Wolfie play any instruments ?.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
DarkWings666

oh shit............i've been getting tabs of the internet for years.

this is just another law they can't implement, however they could implement kidnapping laws if eddie van halen suddenly and explicably disappeared.
DarkWings666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
WolfMoon

Wolfie does not currently play any instruments.

Although I did play Tenor Saxophone in school. I've even made a half-hearted attempt to play the violin. It would have been a whole-hearted attempt, but the fine-tuners were lost (not by me) and I had too many projects going at that time to concentrate my attention on one thing.

I no longer possess my skill with the Sax, either.

Meh.

DW, they already have laws against kidnapping people.

Duh. That's why it was a joke.

I'd much rather kidnap Gene Simmons.

*thinking sexy thoughts*
Old 02-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
sheridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon
What I mean is how would you play the music you like if they don't have tab books and you can't get them off the internet.
I don't follow this sentence at all - are you saying that people wouldn't be able to play other people's music if they couldn't read it off the (web)page? I don't think I know even one guitarist who started off from tablature - they all listened to the Sisters or Metallica or the Nephs or Marillion /a lot/ and then played it by ear (so to speak).
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:23 AM   #21
CptSternn

I find funny. Telling you friend about the cords in a song could get you prison time. Thats just funny. If yhou think back to the history of music and its development as a medium for art, its like someone trying to stop artists from using red, green, or blue mixed in various ways as thats copyright.

Even funnier are bands like Metallica who have various albums chocked full of songs they didn't write or pay rights for (ie. Whiskey In The Jar). As mentioned before, yes, they did take a Thin Lizzy cover, but they never paid shite fer it. It's a public domain song, and has been for a few decades. But that hasn't stopped them from profitting from it and suing those who copy it. Oh the irony.

That and the fact that this once again is a US problem. Any other country have teams of lawyers suing 8 year olds and 80 year olds for downloading a song they heard on the radio? No. They tried to get other countries to join in the sue fest, but everywhere else it died.

As long as a majority of the world gives two shites about the US judicial system, no one will take any copyright laws seriously. I mean, I downloaded a few gigs from a server in Hong Kong last week. Don't see that site going down anytime soon. Neither will many others across Europe and Asia who don't even have an extradition treaty with the US, so why would they care about the copyright laws?

Bottom line is this type of legislation is made to be enforced within the states only. Much like all the new terror laws which in reality only hender the citizens of america.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:28 AM   #22
Blushing Heliophobe

Damn those American idiots. I think everyone that hates America should definitely spend as much time as possible trying to learn about America and then talk about how much we hate it. Because it's a good idea to be obsessed with something that *teh sux* anyways. I mean, that's a really good way to spend our time.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:39 AM   #23
CptSternn

See, something else funny. I lived in the states for years. Also lived across the globe. I have a frame of reference.

More importantly, I'm just posting the obvious. I mean, I didn't start this thread, just pointed out the global perspective on it. Didn't know it was a non-discussion thread.

If you wanted to start a thread and call it 'pity us poor americans' and then just rant on about how unfair your own laws are, you should have said so. I thought this was a discussion on the impact on the community, not just those located in a certain part of the world.

I mean, your laws don't effect me, anymore. And yes I, I feel the same way most everyone else does - the law is feckin' silly. But hey, it doesn't effect me and I can't change it. Those who have issues with it should stand up, not just sit back and bitch, and actually do something.

The perspective I'm bringing to the table is, only in the states would they even TRY something like this. So maybe, instead of jumping on the 'america rulez' bandwangon, maybe for once people might say 'hey, our way is obviously not the best, which is why this thread is here, and maybe we should look to other countries and see how they do it and make our own country better'.

But that would mean admitting america is not perfect, and you know, then the terrorists win, your not a true christian, and all that...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 AM   #24
Blushing Heliophobe

*sigh*

Until you piss me off again later - which you will - I'm not even going to bother.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:38 AM   #25
sheridan

np: Throbbing Gristle -10 Pence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
I think everyone that hates America should definitely spend as much time as possible trying to learn about America and then talk about how much we hate it. Because it's a good idea to be obsessed with something that *teh sux* anyways. I mean, that's a really good way to spend our time.
Well, when we stop getting terrorist attacks because of things that the USA has done, then we'll stop obsessing about its high-and-mighty attitude in world affairs.
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote