Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
CptSternn

Congress readies broad new digital copyright bill

For the last few years, a coalition of technology companies, academics and computer programmers has been trying to persuade Congress to scale back the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Now Congress is preparing to do precisely the opposite. A proposed copyright law seen by CNET News.com would expand the DMCA's restrictions on software that can bypass copy protections and grant federal police more wiretapping and enforcement powers.

The draft legislation, created by the Bush administration and backed by Rep. Lamar Smith, already enjoys the support of large copyright holders such as the Recording Industry Association of America. Smith, a Texas Republican, is the chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee that oversees intellectual-property law.

• Permits wiretaps in investigations of copyright crimes, trade secret theft and economic espionage. It would establish a new copyright unit inside the FBI and budgets $20 million on topics including creating "advanced tools of forensic science to investigate" copyright crimes.

• Amends existing law to permit criminal enforcement of copyright violations even if the work was not registered with the U.S. Copyright Office.

• Boosts criminal penalties for copyright infringement originally created by the No Electronic Theft Act of 1997 from five years to 10 years (and 10 years to 20 years for subsequent offenses). The NET Act targets noncommercial piracy including posting copyrighted photos, videos or news articles on a Web site if the value exceeds $1,000.

• Creates civil asset forfeiture penalties for anything used in copyright piracy. Computers or other equipment seized must be "destroyed" or otherwise disposed of, for instance at a government auction. Criminal asset forfeiture will be done following the rules established by federal drug laws.

• Says copyright holders can impound "records documenting the manufacture, sale or receipt of items involved in" infringements.

Thats right. Under the newest legislation, if yer caught downloading child pr0n, it's 7 years in prison. Under this new legislation, if you are caught attempting to copy a CD, then its 10 years minimum. Thats right, copying a CD will gets you more time that child pr0n.

http://www.ipdemocracy.com/archives/...ice_powers.php

It also allows the government to seize your home, car, and all assets, if you are caught even [b]attempting/b] to cirvumvent any copyright techniques. Oh yeah, the part about the FBI now being able to routinely search your PC, home, and tipe your phone if they think your attempting to copy a CD is also a new power they are going to give themselves.

And, yes, even posting a copyrighted picture (readin: simpsons, start trek, etc) on yer own personal website can get you arrested and your home seized under this new legislation. The best part, the 'copyrighted' work doesn't even have to be copyrighted, it just has to be 'deemed' property of a corporation for you to be prosecuted. What exact that entails, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing if a new movie star coins a catch phrase, then repeating it could get you arrested and your assets seized because you try to capitalise on it by registering the domain or writing a song.

Anyone else bothered by this? Oh wait, people here LIKE this type of legislation. I'll sit back now and wait for everyone to tell me how great this new law will be and how they personally look forward to the new regimes enforcement of it.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Thats right. Under the newest legislation, if yer caught downloading child pr0n, it's 7 years in prison. Under this new legislation, if you are caught attempting to copy a CD, then its 10 years minimum. Thats right, copying a CD will gets you more time that child pr0n.
Jesus fucking Christ.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Sobeh

I actually caught this the other night from fark... amazing really, but that site also posts a link to an odd website which suggests that ever since the privatization of prisons, more and more legislation will require high prison sentences in order to help prison business stock. Interesting theory...
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Wise Child

Prisons have been privatised? How the hell did I miss that?! *stomps off to find newspaper muttering about damn Capitalists and how the hell are people supposed to keep up*

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
Prisons have been privatised? How the hell did I miss that?! *stomps off to find newspaper muttering about damn Capitalists and how the hell are people supposed to keep up*
Well, I said the site suggested this as a motive, but frankly, the site sounds a bit, erm.. lacking in corroborating evidence. Anyway, it was great if for nothing more than a thought experiment. Check it out for yourself, I'd hate to say I was saying yea or nay to it.

It's this link.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:10 AM   #6
CptSternn

Many prisons have already been privatised. Guess who the top leading prison logistic group is? Their name starts with 'H'.

They got a few hundred million to build secret 'detention centres' all over the US. They currently 'manage' various prisons across the nation. I'll dig up the articles - you can find many on CommonDreams and PrisonPlanet.

You know congressmen LOVE prisons in their district? The prisoners count toward the census, and they get funding for that many people, when in reality those people can't vote. So discrticts with prisons get large chunks of un-needed federal funds. Just another reason to put more of them in congressional districts. Problem is filling them.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote