Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
ashleyxnicole

Scariest nightmares? Reoccuring dreams?

I've been having this dream that my mother has cancer and is planning her own funeral and it definetly freaks me out.

Then there are always those dreams where I feel like I'm awake and yelling out to someone then I wake up only to find it was just a nightmare. Very eerie. And they're called night tremors.

Anyway, Have you ever had a reoccuring nightmare/dream? What was the scariest?
ashleyxnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Circle V

I yelled in my sleep a few weeks back. Scared the crap out of myself.

Other than that, no.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
ashleyxnicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
I yelled in my sleep a few weeks back. Scared the crap out of myself.

Other than that, no.
Haha! Scary to you, yes! But as I imagine that, I can't help but smirk.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Circle V

It wasn't even a proper scream, nor was I entirely asleep. I dream-thought that I tripped or something entirely inoffensive like that...
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
ashleyxnicole

Haha, then I know exactly what you're talking about. Those weird lil dream-like thoughts where you are in between REM and conciousness, they make you jump a bit out of your skin.

When I was in highschool, I was so tired one day, that I had fallen asleep on my desk, and awoke with a jump because I thought I'd fallen off a building.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Cyntrox

I had this really scary dream the other day: It started with my family driving along a barren road. There were signs along the road that said things like: Turn back! This place is evil! Then a car passed by us, the driver had his/her head in a really awkward position, looking away from our car. A lot of things happened after that, it is way to much to describe now, besides I don't remember it all. Just imagine a horror movie

Then I woke up, and heard something crawling around me. I knew only it was the monster from my dream. I could sense it around me, but I could not see it. Then I felt that something was strangling me, and everything turned black. I could not see nor scream. Then I died. Then I woke up for real.

That has to be the worst nightmare I have ever dreamt: to wake up just to find that the nightmare was not a dream. I mean, the dream itself was scary enough
Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
ashleyxnicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
I had this really scary dream the other day: It started with my family driving along a barren road. There were signs along the road that said things like: Turn back! This place is evil! Then a car passed by us, the driver had his/her head in a really awkward position, looking away from our car. A lot of things happened after that, it is way to much to describe now, besides I don't remember it all. Just imagine a horror movie

Then I woke up, and heard something crawling around me. I knew only it was the monster from my dream. I could sense it around me, but I could not see it. Then I felt that something was strangling me, and everything turned black. I could not see nor scream. Then I died. Then I woke up for real.

That has to be the worst nightmare I have ever dreamt: to wake up just to find that the nightmare was not a dream. I mean, the dream itself was scary enough

Sounds like you had a night tremor. Go google those.
They are extreme nightmares.

That's scart stuff.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
Pyre

Actually, it's called a night terror, not tremor. Tremors are shakes.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #9
ashleyxnicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
Actually, it's called a night terror, not tremor. Tremors are shakes.
Terrors, that's it.
There are night tremors as well that are more common among younger children.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #10
Clockwork

The most terrifying dream I've ever had would not be remotely scary to describe. The events were inconsequential to the fear I experienced. Basically, I was in a darkened hall, and in front of me was a white set of double doors. Observing them, I became paralyzed as the doors flung open, but I couldn't see what was behind them - it was all just a black haze. It all happened in the span of a second, and I don't remember what I did when I woke up.

Quote:
Your subconscious likes to play tricks on you ^^
Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #11
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Your subconscious likes to play tricks on you ^^
Well, the "awake" part was obviously part of my dream.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyxnicole
Sounds like you had a night tremor. Go google those.
They are extreme nightmares.

That's scart stuff.
"Even if awakened, the subject often cannot remember the episode except for a sense of panic, while nightmares usually can be easily recalled."

"The subject often has no recall of the dream, nor the fit."

"As a result, they may become even more agitated if told that "it was just a dream," as they are quite convinced that the experience is real."

"Usually there is no situation or event (scary or otherwise) that is dreamt, but rather the emotion of fear itself is felt."

All from the wikipedia.

I doubt it is night terrors, as I know it was a dream, and I can recall it. I mean: at first I thought that I was awake, but when I woke up again I realised it was a dream.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Haunted House

Being lost in a zombie infested suburb while bombs are being dropped. Its haunted me for quite a few nights so I'm getting used to it.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #14
c130

I don't get nightmares.

Only scary dream I remember is a recurring one I had when I was five or six... I was being chased around the inside of a giant pumpkin by a monster.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Pyre

Sometimes I get really intense nightmares and write them down in an online journal. Sometimes my nightmares are so intense that I can actually sense things within it, such as smell -- smell is the biggest thing.

I once had a very Texas Chainsaw Massacre type dream in which me and some others were in a woody area when the car messed up. We snuck into a shabby looking house to get parts to fix the car, when the residents caught us and took us in. I had a fiancé in the dream who was killed and hung from the doorway, with his blood smeared all around said doorway. I recall my sister and I cowering on a cold, wooden floor in the room with my fiancé's body, and I could smell the dried blood. It was a very interesting experience. . .

Another dream (not necessarily a nightmare) was that I was in a house which was floating above a deep abyss, and vampyres were attacking me. They kept flying at the house, trying to get in to feed upon me, but I knocked them all into the abyss. There were many different species of vampyres (and unless mistaken, I think all were female). I recall there were some particular vampyres that smelled of coconut. Awkward.

The only night terror I ever recall (and I only recall one scene from it) happened when I was a child after watching Arachnophobia. All night long I was screaming and crying, and my parents moved me from room to room trying to comfort me. The only part of my dream that I remember is a single spider lowering itself on a thread of web; the spider was techni-coloured on a black backdrop.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #16
Vrante

I used to have recurring nightmares about Ronald McDonald in the full clown outfit attacking me. Those scared the hell out of me at that age (I was around 5 or 6).

I've started having dreams I used to have as a kid too. None are the same but they all carry the same feeling of dread and terror. They always involve some supernatural entity trying to kill me, those are some of the scarriest dreams I've ever had.

I used to dream about zombies a lot too, but those were never really nightmares. I had one that was a lot like the new Dawn of the Dead once.
Vrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #17
BlackButterfly

Isn't there already a thread like this ?
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #18
DarkHeartedDemoness

Good point. It's a perfectly good thread that hasn't been de-railed.

I was going to post here, but I think I'll go there instead.

If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #19
ashleyxnicole

Quote:
"Even if awakened, the subject often cannot remember the episode except for a sense of panic, while nightmares usually can be easily recalled."

"The subject often has no recall of the dream, nor the fit."

"As a result, they may become even more agitated if told that "it was just a dream," as they are quite convinced that the experience is real."

"Usually there is no situation or event (scary or otherwise) that is dreamt, but rather the emotion of fear itself is felt."

All from the wikipedia.

I doubt it is night terrors, as I know it was a dream, and I can recall it. I mean: at first I thought that I was awake, but when I woke up again I realised it was a dream.
Well, I've had something like what you've experienced but had more symptoms of a night terror, because I was yelling out and felt as though I was paralyzed with fright. And it felt real, and I was convinced it was real.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
ashleyxnicole

I wish I had a dream book so we could further analyze our dreams to see what they mean. Metophorically.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
Ink_of_souls

Getting lost or being separated from people I love is one of my worst recurring dreams that and I fall a lot in my dreams I’ll fall backwards and wake up clutching the bed as though too catch myself.

All my dreams are weird and last all night I don’t have short ones, if my dreams were books they would be novels.
Ink_of_souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #22
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyxnicole
I wish I had a dream book so we could further analyze our dreams to see what they mean. Metophorically.
Meh, those things don't work--they're too vague, don't cover enough topics, and don't really get to the personal meaning of your own dreams. Dreams are too unique, and their symbolism sometimes too personal to interpret with a book (I own a couple and have referenced many--I was into that a bit in high school).

Let's say you dream something featuring your aunt's black cat. A Black cat may mean one thing in a book, but being that it's expressly "your aunt's cat" would warp the meaning in a way that a dream book won't or is unable to tell you. The best way to interpret a dream is on your own or with someone who knows you very well.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #23
ashleyxnicole

Well the dream book would give you a base to go off of. If you were dreaming in generalization. Haha.

True though.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
Midnight_Fantasy

When I was little I used to have reoccurring nightmares about evil dead clowns everywhere and clowns that weren't quite dead.
I now have reoccurring nightmares about food... Food melting like in a Salvador Dali painting, mountains of food I am forced to eat, food coming alive and trying to kill me. They are really scary if you're anorexic.
Midnight_Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
ashleyxnicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Fantasy
When I was little I used to have reoccurring nightmares about evil dead clowns everywhere and clowns that weren't quite dead.
I now have reoccurring nightmares about food... Food melting like in a Salvador Dali painting, mountains of food I am forced to eat, food coming alive and trying to kill me. They are really scary if you're anorexic.

Very true indeed. And sad. I'm sorry.

However, I would love having dreams about food as opposed to what I have been dreaming as of late.