Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Sylice

Is Long Hair Really Needed?

Could someone be perhaps bald, or have short hair and still pull off the goth look? Or is short hair fundamentally mandatory?
Sylice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:54 AM   #2
Acharis

>Is Long Hair Really Needed?

No

>Could someone be perhaps bald, or have short hair and still pull off the goth look?

Yes

I've seen a lot of goths who are bald and with short hair. It doesn't really matter what you're rocking, it's mainly down to what you have to work with and personal taste.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
>Is Long Hair Really Needed?

No

>Could someone be perhaps bald, or have short hair and still pull off the goth look?

Yes

I've seen a lot of goths who are bald and with short hair. It doesn't really matter what you're rocking, it's mainly down to what you have to work with and personal taste.
Having turned 50 in April, I can't exactly sport the full head of long, black hair that I had in my 20s any more so several years ago I opted for the - get rid of all of it approach. I usually get a .5 or a #1 cut these days. I also grew a moustache and short beard that I can style into a Steampunk Victorian look.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Anise

Goth is more so a mindset?
I mean sure we all dig expressing ourselves via the external, but personally I feel that the internal is paramount. As for hair styling, shaved bald, short crop, bob, shoulder length, long .. anything goes. My own hair is waist length but blonde, hahaa not the 'ritual black. I've had all kinds of hair styles; GI Jane short, Pulp Fiction bob, mohawk, dreads .. all kinds of colours. To feel the best about yourself I reckon you cultivate your own look and work with what's best for you personally ..

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

C'mon is that not Goth as fuck
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Anise

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
I also grew a moustache and short beard that I can style into a Steampunk Victorian look.
Debonair Sir! Debonaaaaaiir!
Love it \m/
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
LovelyLunaxx

To me being Goth is definitely more about your mind set and what makes you tick than it is about appearance per say. And no I do not believe you have to have long hair, one of my best friends is a Goth like you and I and she actually sports a bald head a lot. Do what you want, ignore any rude criticisms.
LovelyLunaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
Rats

Definitely not!!! Color also doesn't matter, i have blue and green ombre hair!!! Ignore the people who will say you aren't a "real" goth for not having long black hair, all they are doing is conforming to everyone else, and being goth is all about being different!!!
Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
LovelyLunaxx

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats View Post
Definitely not!!! Color also doesn't matter, i have blue and green ombre hair!!! Ignore the people who will say you aren't a "real" goth for not having long black hair, all they are doing is conforming to everyone else, and being goth is all about being different!!!
Very well put.
LovelyLunaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Murder.Of.Crows

What are you all talking about? Of course long hair is a necessity! How else will onlookers know of your sub cultural leanings without a luscious mellow dramatic mane to gloriously whip into the air, showing your disdain for all things not dark and broody?

No. Nothing pertaining to bodily appearances is necessary to adopt a particular style or sub-cultural labels.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
BourbonBoy

Go to extremes. Either long or shaved
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
SoftShocks

Who cares its just hair. I actually think the bald look looks great on people.
SoftShocks is offline   Reply With Quote