Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Tam Li Hua

Attention Whores and Pseudo-intellectualism

I have two irritations. The first is talking to people who try to be clever by using pseudo-intellectualism, then get snooty when no one understands what the hell they're talking about....and then act like it's the group's fault for not understanding. >_<

Seriously gets on my nerves. If you want to have an intellectual discussion, then explain yourself clearly. If you don't, then say so from the beginning.

The second irritation has to do with people IRL who consider themselves my 'friend'...but really just want my attention, and who don't actually care about me at all. I mean, I could tell this person that my parents both just died by committing suicide in front of me, that I found out I have a tumor and am dying in two days, and that I lost all my money to thieves...and they would still manage to turn the conversation around to them!

Gah, humanity!!
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Xombie

I do not like the people who talk to me just to be able to tell their friends that they talk to me. Now, I'm not trying to be cocky in ANY way, but I suppose you could say that I'm one of those people everybody wants to know. People know who I am, but they never get the opportunity to talk to me and they wish they did. Don't get me wrong; I don't hate the attention completely. In fact, it's a huge confidence booster. I only wish people would want to talk to me for reasons other than the fact that I have "big awesome boots" and I have pink in my hair.

Pseudo-intellectuals piss me off to the fullest extent. I won't get into it.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I could tell this person that my parents both just died by committing suicide in front of me, that I found out I have a tumor and am dying in two days, and that I lost all my money to thieves...and they would still manage to turn the conversation around to them!

Gah, humanity!!
I'm sorry for your loss. =P
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
JCC

We are all attention whores. Right now people are dying of starvation and you're complaining because some people like to use big words. We ALL like to talk about ourselves, our own problems, our own flaws, our own triumphs.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
I'm sorry for your loss. =P
:3

My mom -did- pass away a couple of years ago, but it wasn't anything as drastic as that.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
We are all attention whores. Right now people are dying of starvation and you're complaining because some people like to use big words. We ALL like to talk about ourselves, our own problems, our own flaws, our own triumphs.
True, but in a friendship, there needs to be a little give as well as take...not just one person taking it all and not giving anything to the other person.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
tickingstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
I do not like the people who talk to me just to be able to tell their friends that they talk to me. Now, I'm not trying to be cocky in ANY way, but I suppose you could say that I'm one of those people everybody wants to know. People know who I am, but they never get the opportunity to talk to me and they wish they did. Don't get me wrong; I don't hate the attention completely. In fact, it's a huge confidence booster. I only wish people would want to talk to me for reasons other than the fact that I have "big awesome boots" and I have pink in my hair.

Pseudo-intellectuals piss me off to the fullest extent. I won't get into it.

If I had this p[roblem I would ignore everyone

Aim: K143rsjrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
tickingstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Xombie

Hah. I stop talking to them just to spite them, even if they do seem like a pretty cool person. I don't want any part in their "OMG SHE TALKED TO ME" bullshit.

You can tell I go to a small fucking school.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
Mir

I want to cook myself some chicken and rice.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Zavulon

Quote:
I have two irritations. The first is talking to people who try to be clever by using pseudo-intellectualism, then get snooty when no one understands what the hell they're talking about....and then act like it's the group's fault for not understanding. >_<

Seriously gets on my nerves. If you want to have an intellectual discussion, then explain yourself clearly. If you don't, then say so from the beginning.

The second irritation has to do with people IRL who consider themselves my 'friend'...but really just want my attention, and who don't actually care about me at all. I mean, I could tell this person that my parents both just died by committing suicide in front of me, that I found out I have a tumor and am dying in two days, and that I lost all my money to thieves...and they would still manage to turn the conversation around to them!

Gah, humanity!!
nice. now you are just one big crybaby. good job champion.
Zavulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavulon

Please, shut the fuck up. This is the whining thread, that's what it's for, moron.

And I agree, I loath pseudo-intellectualism too, Tam.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

Please, shut the fuck up. This is the whining thread, that's what it's for, moron.

Thank you for your support, Ms. Noir! ^_^

What do you think the best way is to deal with pseudo-intellectuals? I've been thinking that talking to them does no good, but perhaps ignoring them would work..?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Feel free to create your own whining thread if it bothers thou so very badly, good sir.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Thank you for your support, Ms. Noir! ^_^

What do you think the best way is to deal with pseudo-intellectuals? I've been thinking that talking to them does no good, but perhaps ignoring them would work..?

Ignoring is your best bet (and no problem for the support), because if you continue to give them a reason to carry on an "argument", they'll never drop it, or let you make a valid point. All I see pseudo-intellectualism as is a way for people to be a little bit more secure with themselves, and give them an ego booster.

You have to ask yourself: Why would you need to take every synonym you see on thesaurus.com to make a valid point, when you can just as easily make a clear, valid point using casual language? I'm not saying it hurts to use a few synonyms here and there, but when you sugar-coat everything with it, in many cases you'll lose sight of the original meaning of your whole argument. That, and I think it's just a way for people to shut other people up nice and quick so they don't have to slave through a long debate. So they attempt to confuse you, then shut you down and end it.

It's just my views on it of course, though I'm sure someone will nitpick at it and try to engage me in a long, meaningless debate about how I'm wrong and how they're indisputably right. It's an inevitable thing on these forums, unfortunately.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

Old 02-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
Zavulon

Quote:

kiss my ass stupid cunt. i don't care what it is for...it is just funny the little bitch is boohoohooing about me.

and no it doesn't bother me any, i'm laughing i got under your nerves enough for you to have to create a little crybaby bitch fest Tam.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
Tam Li Hua

Quote:

Ignoring is your best bet (and no problem for the support), because if you continue to give them a reason to carry on an "argument", they'll never drop it, or let you make a valid point. All I see pseudo-intellectualism as is a way for people to be a little bit more secure with themselves, and give them an ego booster.

You have to ask yourself: Why would you need to take every synonym you see on thesaurus.com to make a valid point, when you can just as easily make a clear, valid point using casual language? I'm not saying it hurts to use a few synonyms here and there, but when you sugar-coat everything with it, in many cases you'll lose the original meaning of your whole response. That, and I think it's just a way for people to shut other people up nice and quick so they don't have to slave through a long debate. So they attempt to confuse you, then shut you down and end it.

It's just my views on it of course, though I'm sure someone will nitpick at it and try to engage me in a long, meaningless debate about how I'm wrong and how they're indisputably right. It's an inevitable thing on these forums, unfortunately.
Heh. I tend to agree with you on...well, all of this.

It makes me wonder what would happen in these debates if all of us were in the same room, though. That would indeed be interesting! XD
Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
kiss my ass stupid cunt. i don't care what it is for...it is just funny the little bitch is boohoohooing about me.

and no it doesn't bother me any, i'm laughing i got under your nerves enough for you to have to create a little crybaby bitch fest Tam.

You're a rather foul-mouthed little troll.

Ah well, I'm sure someone else will take care of you in due time. And for the record, you didn't get under my skin. I'm simply a bitch and snap at the first moron I happen to see lurking in a thread. It's rather great fun for me to see someone retaliate with asinine comments. Makes a great ego booster.

I guess you just can't handle being told to shut the fuck up. Poor baby.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Heh. I tend to agree with you on...well, all of this.

It makes me wonder what would happen in these debates if all of us were in the same room, though. That would indeed be interesting! XD
You're looking at a straight-down spiral into Hell with that situation. xD

Old 02-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #19
Tam Li Hua

lol For some reason, this convo reminds me of this clip from Metalocalypse. XD

Heh heh. So in love with that show.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #20
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
You're looking at a straight-down spiral into Hell with that situation. xD
lololol!!

I envision chairs, candles, and sharp objects being thrown frequently. XD
Old 02-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #21
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
lololol!!

I envision chairs, candles, and sharp objects being thrown frequently. XD
And people pouring hot, boiling cauldrons of Absinthe on each other, or rubbing cloves in people's eyes to blind them. The rest just get trampled by big, stompy boots or strangled with ribbons, and thick strips of lace.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #22
Zavulon

Quote:

You're a rather foul-mouthed little troll.

Ah well, I'm sure someone else will take care of you in due time. And for the record, you didn't get under my skin. I'm simply a bitch and snap at the first moron I happen to see lurking in a thread. It's rather great fun for me to see someone retaliate with asinine comments. Makes a great ego booster.

I guess you just can't handle being told to shut the fuck up. Poor baby.
nein... you do not provide any intellectual beef to any of which you have posted. and i feel so threatened. oh no.... the troll police are after me.... i might get banned.... boo hoo hoo... you are a simpleton. i do not care if someone "takes care of me" on a forum, little cunt you should understand forums are utterly meaningless in the Annals of Time. you simply are a verbal cunt that has not shown any real muscle when it comes to it.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #23
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
nein... you do not provide any intellectual beef to any of which you have posted. and i feel so threatened. oh no.... the troll police are after me.... i might get banned.... boo hoo hoo... you are a simpleton. i do not care if someone "takes care of me" on a forum, little cunt you should understand forums are utterly meaningless in the Annals of Time. you simply are a verbal cunt that has not shown any real muscle when it comes to it.

I'm a simpleton? Well, I don't see myself as the one using "cunt" as every other word in each of their sentences, repeating myself, and throwing asinine insults that really have no relevance to anything that's been said here on this thread.

And by "taking care" I simply meant that someone else would find fun as well in arguing with you. Keep talking, because I'm the one who's holding the higher ground in this argument. I haven't reduced myself to your level yet.

You're the one who looks foolish.

Also, you're quite the "verbal cunt" too. Look at all the silly things you're saying to me. You sound like a twelve-year-old who's PMSing.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #24
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
you simply are a verbal cunt that has not shown any real muscle when it comes to it.
Damn, unless L'Oiseau Noir can produce a video of herself doing some heavy lifting, this argument is over.
Zav, perhaps you could try behaving like the mature intellectual you claim to be rather than constantly lowering yourself to name-calling and spewing profanity? So far your arguments really haven't been compelling.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #25
Zavulon

Quote:

I'm a simpleton? Well, I don't see myself as the one using "cunt" as every other word in each of their sentences, repeating myself, and throwing asinine insults that really have no relevance to anything that's been said here on this thread.

And by "taking care" I simply meant that someone else would find fun as well in arguing with you. Keep talking, because I'm the one who's holding the higher ground in this argument. I haven't reduced myself to your level yet.
bring them all on. i do not care. and you are a simple cunt indeed.

Z