Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Saya

Golden Dawn Goes Global

Quote:
Emboldened by its meteoric rise in Greece, the far-right Golden Dawn party is spreading its tentacles abroad, amid fears it is acting on its pledge to "create cells in every corner of the world". The extremist group, which forged links with British neo-Nazis when it was founded in the 1980s, has begun opening offices in Germany, Australia, Canada and the US.

The international push follows successive polls that show Golden Dawn entrenching its position as Greece's third, and fastest growing, political force. First catapulted into parliament with 18 MPs last year, the ultra-nationalists captured 11.5% support in a recent survey conducted by polling company Public Issue.

The group – whose logo resembles the swastika and whose members are prone to give Nazi salutes – has gone from strength to strength, promoting itself as the only force willing to take on the "rotten establishment". Amid rumours of backing from wealthy shipowners, it has succeeded in opening party offices across Greece.

It is also concentrating on spreading internationally, with news last month that it had opened an office in Germany and planned to set up branches in Australia. The party's spokesman, Ilias Kasidiaris, said it had decided to establish cells "wherever there are Greeks".

"People have understood that Chrysi Avgi [Golden Dawn] tells the truth," he told a Greek-language paper in Melbourne. "In our immediate sights and aims is the creation of an office and local organisation in Melbourne. In fact, very soon a visit of MPs to Australia is planned."
But the campaign has met with disgust and derision by many prominent members of the Greek diaspora who represent communities in both the northern and southern hemispheres.

"We don't see any gold in Golden Dawn," said Father Alex Karloutsos, one of America's leading Greek community figures, in Southampton, New York. "Nationalism, fascism, xenophobia are not part of our spiritual or cultural heritage."

But Golden Dawn is hoping to tap into the deep well of disappointment and fury felt by Greeks living abroad, in the three years since the debt-stricken nation was plunged into crisis.

"Golden Dawn is not like other parties in Greece. From its beginnings, in the early 80s, it always had one eye abroad," said Dimitris Psarras, whose book, Golden Dawn's Black Bible, chronicles the organisation since its creation by Nikos Michaloliakos, an overt supporter of the colonels who oversaw seven years of brutal anti-leftist dictatorship until the collapse of military rule in 1974.

"Like-minded groups in Europe and Russia have given the party ideological, and sometimes financial, support to print books and magazines. After years of importing nazism, it now wants to export nazism," added Psarras. By infiltrating communities abroad, the far-rightists were attempting not only to shore up their credibility but also to find extra funding and perhaps even potential votes if Greeks abroad ever won the right to cast ballots in elections.

"[Golden Dawn] not only wants to become the central pole of a pan-European alliance of neo-Nazis, even if in public it will hotly deny that," claimed Psarras, who said party members regularly met with neo-Nazis from Germany, Italy and Romania. "It wants to spread its influence worldwide."

With its 300,000-strong community, Melbourne has pride of place in the constellation of Greek-populated metropolises that dot a diaspora officially estimated at around 7 million.
Continued at link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...obal-ambitions
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
AshleyO

I will tell you now, I will take up fucking ARMS in the event that the golden dawn formally spreads. Seriously. I was a pacifist in the military and now...

EditL: I'm drunk, so I want to express my feelings on the Golden Dawn. I would not hesitate to kill these fuckers. Seriously. If I could legally wage war with these fucks and the KKK, I would probably either be dead tomorrow or there'd be a shit load of racists who are dead. As far as I'm concerned, the only concession with fascists and racists is all out unforgiving war. Fuck the liberal stage that they deserve a moment to express this kind of hate. No. Far as I'm concerned, you're dead to rights on this shit.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
One thing I've mentioned before, is the scary thing, is that this is the same pattern of expansion the Nazis followed when they were starting.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Alan

I find it funny how an ultranationalist ideology can go global.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
AshleyO

I almost feel like i have to rescind my statement.

Why should I be morally outraged about the Golden Dawn if even our own domestic policies are basically the same thing only in a less severe degree?

How can we take on these cartoon fascists if we're not even going to attempt to weed out and eliminate the fascist strains in our own house? And no, I'm not talking about some dumb white dudes on Stormfront, but actual systemic policies that are absolutely racist, sexist, and supremacist?
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
I almost feel like i have to rescind my statement.

Why should I be morally outraged about the Golden Dawn if even our own domestic policies are basically the same thing only in a less severe degree?

How can we take on these cartoon fascists if we're not even going to attempt to weed out and eliminate the fascist strains in our own house? And no, I'm not talking about some dumb white dudes on Stormfront, but actual systemic policies that are absolutely racist, sexist, and supremacist?
I'd say that the Golden Dawn are significantly more dangerous than the KKK and Stormfront.

Also: Imperialism, as bad as it is - is NOT the same thing as fascism and it's a false equivalency and intellectually lazy US foreign policy to fascism.

So as trendy as it is for leftists to type "Amerikkka" it's not useful in any political sense. Worse it actively undermines the anti-fascist cause, by watering down the popular perception of what is a VERY specific and EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ideology to the point where Bill Oreilly can call student's who are protesting the Catholic Church's position on gays "fascist" and be taken seriously.

The more willing we are to move fascism out of the realm of REAL political ideology and into the realm of a generic word for "BAD PEOPLE" the easier we make it for fascism to spread and remain unrecognized in it's host country.

So in short, fuck leftist isolationism: aquatint these fucker's heads with the pavement is what I'm saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Alan

Despanan gets the communist bee seal of approval.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:01 AM   #8
TomHiddleston

The rise of the Golden Dawn Party and its expansion into other countries is alarming with time card calculator
TomHiddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:55 AM   #9
GilesNop

The global expansion of the Golden Dawn Party is indeed alarming and raises concerns about the spread of extremist ideologies.
GilesNop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:33 PM   #10
kalyl

The Golden Dawn's ideology, characterized by nationalism, fascism, geometry dash and xenophobia, has deep historical roots and resonates with certain segments of the population, particularly those disillusioned with mainstream politics and feeling the effects of economic crises.
kalyl is offline   Reply With Quote